cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

JosephM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

SIM card not supported even though iPhone already unlocked by previous provider. Any suggestions? Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

tamaraxo12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i had the same problem with bell as well, they told me they couldnt unlock it as whoever own the phone before had to contact the provider the phone was bought, first thing i would do is call apple yourself and explain to them and they will have it unlocked in no time, bell gives you the run around until apple gets involved, hopes this info works, it worked well for me 😊

Jessibear92

Did you register your sim and make a self serve account? You may have to set it up manually you can do it from wifi via your phone one the sim is registered there, restart the phone and it should be working 

rolomi

I hope I'm understanding the issue correctly.

I had similar problem with SE 2020.  Use a browser on the phone and search for "unlockit.co.nz".   You will have prompts to follow including to download and then 'install' the download on the phone and then follow the instructions.  It's a bit fussy but does set up the APN settings so the phone is compatible with public mobile cellular data.  The fella who owns the phone shop where I purchased the sim had no idea what was going on until I told him about the app and he said "Well, I learned something today."

I had the same problem with speakout and the SE2020 (before I switched to public)and one of their staff informed me about this "unlockit.co.nz" app.  My apologies if I misuse the jargon as I'm a bit of an old fart.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@JosephM when was the iPhone unlocked? it can take 24-48hrs because it has to be unlocked remotely by Apple. wait a couple days if this is the case

@JosephM wrote:

New SIM card. 7+ iPhone .
Says not a hardware problem, contact provider to unlock phone . SIM card not supported. 

we already called and it’s unlocked. Bell says it’s a problem on Public side 

Which service provider was the phone used for last ? Is it from Canada or somewheres else.?

Is it a used phone you've recently purchased ?...perhaps it's blacklisted / reported as stolen ?

@JosephM wrote:

Says not a hardware problem, contact provider to unlock phone . SIM card not supported. 

Yet, the phone is telling you otherwise. This wouldn't be the first time a carrier has told a former customer that a phone is unlocked when it isn't.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@JosephM I'd you are getting a message saying the SIM isn't recognized. Then its still locked to your previous provider. Get them to unlock it for you. Stay safe. 

JosephM

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@JosephM wrote:

SIM card not supported even though iPhone already unlocked by previous provider. Any suggestions? Thanks 

What's the message you receive when you try to use that PM sim ?

Is it a new sim or was it used in an old account that has since expired ? (An account will close for good if it's expired for 90 days)

A bit more info would help.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try removing it and reinstalling it.  If you have another phone then try swapping the sim.

Need Help? Let's chat.