cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card not Supported on Iphone XR

lymiller
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So if I don't figure this out - Im switching to Bell. Activated today 5/28/21

-Iphone XR: My SIM card is not working on new Public Plan.  Previous plan was Cricket (USA), I did not have this plan on and cancelled it before I got Public plan. 

-During the Public Mobile activation I had to switch phone numbers also. 

-This **bleep** isn't working, & this stupid Provider doesn't provide a number to call.

Im not a wiz tech, Im planning on cancelling this bull**bleep** if it doesn't work.

-

14 REPLIES 14

@BearFBI 

I think he switched to “BELL Koodo” apparently.

AE_Collector

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lymiller Can you keep us updated ? Did you fix your problem ? Vanishing from the fourm won't fix anything. 

@lymiller 

You will get a surprise from Koodo when you try to port your USA number. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I will PM it to you. You have to read it all....bunch of advertising. 

@LurganIeUk actually, i am interested in the link to check carrier lock, may I have it?

thanks

@lymiller wrote:
Spoiler

Im not that smart & Im not doing all that for a bull**bleep** phone plan . Im going to koodoo

You'll have the same problem then.  Koodo, PM, Telus all in the same group!!! 

If you did the iTunes suggestion of:

Update the phone to latest software

Do a full reset

And "IF" your phone is carrier unlocked the last page of an iTunes reset....it will tell you your phone is unlocked. No message = carrier locked. 

And since you mentioned that it was on Cricket, we can assume the phone "may" have been purchased in the USA....carrier locked!!

I can give you a web site to confirm it's lock status but appears you are reluctant to do any work on it yourself....so I won't. But feel free to ask and I will send it to you. 

So...was your phone purchased in the USA?  If yes...if you bought it from the Apple store it should be unlocked. But if from a carrier ....maybe not.....and perhaps an American carrier put a lock on it unannounced to you. 

Seems like an odd time to discover that this provider doesn’t offer telephone support. The apparent need for that should have been a significant part of your decision on which carrier to go with now. So, not doing YOUR homework and then blasting a group of customers of a company for your disapproval of the model PM runs on doesn’t seem very cool to me.

AE_Collector 

BearFBI

@lymiller Also you can't port numbers if your plan from your previous carrier is deactivated. 

Again that applies for about any carrier globally. Public Mobile can't do anything about it. Your old carrier can thought. 

BearFBI

@lymiller Hold on ! You can sort all of this out here no need to switch carriers after you did all of this. 

If you go to koodo you'll be in the same situation you are in now. In fact no matter where you go you'll have the same problem. 

Please just actually understand the problem your in without freaking out about it. 

Your phone is carrier locked. That can be fixed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lymiller : Wow. So yeah...not all providers are a fit for everyone. This is more of a hands-on, self-serve kinda place. My guess would also be that your phone is locked to Cricket. Did you get the phone new from them? Maybe check devicecheck.ca to see if it might be blacklisted too.

@lymiller friendly reminder, please keep your language clean.

Everyone here is customers like you are we are just trying to help.  If you decided to leave, I am not certain why you still try to post here.  

If all you want is to fire your frustration to PM, you are in the wrong place.

BearFBI

@lymiller Public is not at fault here. 

Your phone number can't be ported because it's a US number. You can't port a non Canadian number to a Canadian carrier, That goes for just about any telecom worldwide. 

Your phone also may be locked to your old carrier, That's why you can't use another SIM. You can call your old carrier and they will give you an unlock code to allow non Cricket SIM cards. 

lymiller
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Spoiler

Im not that smart & Im not doing all that for a bull**bleep** phone plan . Im going to koodoo

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@lymiller  was the phone carrier locked?

you might try to sync to iTunes

1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)

If it still not working, you might want to enter the APN manually, follow this:

Set up data on an iPhone (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.