cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup and Activation Troubles

figire3008
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Began my account setup last night. Entered in my SIM Card number and my number from TELUS I wanted to transfer to Public. Entered payment details. Received a text saying I successfully created a new PIN and an activation confirmation would be sent shortly. Setup then froze during the Plan setup process where it said it was linking my numbers. Let the process go overnight (around 02:00 this morning). Woke up and the wheel was still spinning. No texts or emails received on my end giving any guidance. Tried to restart the setup process again and now it's saying my SIM is invalid, nor can I log into the Public account using the email/password I signed up with -- nor can I reset the password as I'm being told my account doesn't exist. What do?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

@figire3008  did you use this phone on Telus before?  or is it a new phone and where you got it from?

try to put the SIM on another phone, maybe Android, to see if it is connecting or not

When you are on iTune, did you update to the latest software?

figire3008

Unfortunately none of the above options including multiple factory resets and network resets are working.

@figire3008 

Try powering off the phone then turning turn it back on with the PM SIM in the phone.

This happened to a friend of mine.

@figire3008  

sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)

@figire3008  I am no iphone expert, but you might need to connect your phone to the Mac and iTune for it to download the APN or so.  I read something like this before.

figire3008

iPhone XR

Just did a factory reset and re-inserted the SIM.

Tried switching to 3G (Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data > 3G) and no luck. Just flat bars at the top.

Tried outbound calls -> Call Failed.

@figire3008  no worry, you can request the porting afterward (just don't cancel your Telus service yet)

let's focus on getting your phone working on PM

What kind of phone is yours? (I hope it is not LG, it will be some extra work if so)

If not LG, try reseat the SIM card once again (Power down, take SIM out , wipe it clean, put it back tight and power up)

If not work, try changing the network to 3G instead of Automatic

figire3008

No - did not show Public Mobile at top of the screen. Bars are just 'flat' next to my WiFi signal.

I have not requested porting my number from TELUS - didn't see this option or direction during the setup.

@figire3008  but it did showing Public Mobile on top of the screen?  If so, it's connecting

Try to change the network to 3G and see if it is any better?

Also, did you request porting your number from Telus?

figire3008

Yes - my credit card was charged.

Put the PM SIM into my phone and the bars at the top of the phone screen were flat and I was unable to make any calls.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your credit card to make sure you weren't charged.  Try using a different browser and incognito mode.  Also try clearing your cache and cookies then reboot.  Try setting up again.

If you still need assistance then submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@figire3008 

did you check if credit card was charged?  If so, It is possible that the account was created on the backend and just not coming back the result from the webserver

did you try to put the PM SIM into a phone?   See if it connecting to PM network and if you can make outgoing calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.