cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card doesn't work after a while of non-use???

lucky724
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, odd problem here:

My SIM card/phone was overseas for the last 6 months, but I kept my account active with the $15 for 30 days plan and auto paid the monthly amount to keep my account active.  I am back in Canada now, and I can make calls out from my phone, but I cannot receive calls, nor can I send or receive texts.  I can register on the network fine.

Any help??

45 REPLIES 45

lucky724

Good suggestion - I will ask that!

HI @darlicious I think the porting department won't deal with old, completerd porting request.   They only check with active request.  This is a lazy department. LoL

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lucky724 

Would you like the telus porting department phone number and see what they have to say? This is certainly an unusual situation. Your "ported" phone number is still assigned in your account?

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

Hi @lucky724 if you had receive incoming calls and text.. ask them to check, that would be  a sign that the port was successful and they cannot deny

lucky724

I did, which is why my previous carrier closed and cancelled the account on their end.  But PM insists it was not a successful port.

it's okay, I have tickets submitted on both sides, and seemingly they are agreeing that it might be possible to reopen the account and redo the port process.

lucky724

According to PM support, I ported over to PM about a month before I left.

lucky724

Freedom Mobile, and I believe it was post paid

lucky724

I want to say I did. but I can't access the usage tab back to 2021 to validate whether or not I did.

@lucky724 which one was your old provider? was it prepaid?

@lucky724 wrote:

Update:

I had a ticket submitted with PM, turns out PM said the phone number port from my previous carrier was not completed, so my services are not completely enabled.  I contacted my previous carrier, and they said the port was successful, and my account was cancelled there.

So now I have a ticket opened at my previous carrier, to attempt to reopen my cancelled account, so PM can attempt to resend another phone number port request.

let's see how this works out.

That doesn't sound right.  The inability to send outgoing text messages isn't related to number porting in any way.  Also, your phone number would have been automatically changed if porting had failed more than 6 months earlier.  Did you only port to Public Mobile shortly before going overseas?  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lucky724 

Did you reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of recieving it when initially ported your phone #? What happens when you call your phone #? When did your old account close? Does it coincide with your activation date with pm?

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

hi @lucky724 that is unfortunate.   did you get incoming calls before your trip?

lucky724

Update:

I had a ticket submitted with PM, turns out PM said the phone number port from my previous carrier was not completed, so my services are not completely enabled.  I contacted my previous carrier, and they said the port was successful, and my account was cancelled there.

So now I have a ticket opened at my previous carrier, to attempt to reopen my cancelled account, so PM can attempt to resend another phone number port request.

let's see how this works out.

lucky724

This shows up - but then when I check the usage - it doesn't show an outgoing text or incoming text.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What happens if you send a text to your own number? 

@lucky724 wrote:

Just tried it in another area about 10 km away from my house. no difference.

Hi @lucky724   and you said you tried your PM SIM in another phone and no difference?

did you try to factory reset the phone?  Many suspected it could be a a device issue for not receiving calls (DND, etc).  The sms issue could be APN related.   I highly suggest you to factor reset the phone once if you have not done so.

I think @darlicious could be correct with the SIM provisioning as well.  But you will need to open ticket with CS Agent if you have not done so yet.  You can open ticket at   https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. start by typing : Contact CS Agent
  2. then Click "Contact Us"
  3. then Click "Other"
  4. finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"

you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@lucky724  - This sounds similar to other customers when they have left Canada and have come back with their Public Mobile accounts show active but having issues using their SIM card again.

Although, I recall the past cases having no service at all. So these customers thought they needed a whole new SIM card to swap on their account.

You have tested the SIM card in another device with the same issue. So, it does not sound phone related. Are any other mobile users complaining about issues in your area?

Before obtaining a another SIM card to swap it on your account, I would suggest to submit a ticket to CSA for assistance. Let them do their thing first.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If CSA resetting your account does not help, see "How To Change Your SIM Card" at the bottom of this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

You can see if your account is Active on your Self Serve account on the main page.

I think there is a backend issue with your SIM.

Contact a CS_Agent to reset your SIM and they can look into your problem.

lucky724

Just tried it in another area about 10 km away from my house. no difference.

lucky724

No, not dual SIM phone

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lucky724 

I think your SIM card needs reprovisioning. Customer support can do a full reprovisioning but there are some ways you can try on your end. Since you have already removed your SIM card we can skip that one and it can't hurt to toggle airplane mode on/off. Otherwise you may have some success with :

1. Log into your self serve account. Make a manual top up payment of $1 by choosing "other" amount. Confirm and submit your payment. Log out and reboot. Test.
  2. No joy? Log into your self serve. Go to the plans or usage page and click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out. Reboot. Test.**
  3. If neither of these troubleshooting tips work contact customer support and ask for an account reset and your sim card reprovisioned.

**This causes a glitch with your rewards not automatically applying upon renewal. After your renewal you will have to contact customer support and ask them to apply your rewards manually to your account balance.

lucky724

Nope - no texting at all wifi/LTE/3G.

Mobile data works

Can you text while on wifi? Maybe you have chat or RCS on. Also, does your mobile data work?

@dust2dust wrote:

Can you go down into your text app settings and check that the message centre is +1-647-580-0172 (no dashes)

The SMSC being incorrect would prevent outgong text messages, but no so for incoming.   Then again, none of this situation should be happening.    Everything that I can think of would only account for one of symptoms but not all of it.    For example, the text messaging could be becaues of SMS being diabled on an iPhone device but data and Wi-Fi being disabled.  Incoming calls could be a matter of being in DND mode or blocking some contacts by accident, but that doesn't explain the lack of outgoing calls. The 3g network idea could help with the incoming calls, but text messages can be sent an received on LTE, etc.

lucky724

Yup - 

+16475800172 is what shows there.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The fact that you can call out says you're active and connected to at least 3G. The message centre is for outgoing texts but the fact that incoming doesn't work is a problem.

The adding a dollar is a known little workaround to give the account a kick. There's another workaround but we'll wait to see these other ideas.

lucky724

I will try the SIM card in a different area and see if that makes a difference.

lucky724

It shows I autopayed on April 22, and I have $0 in my balance.  Where do I see if I have my account active?

I've rebooted the phone.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you go down into your text app settings and check that the message centre is +1-647-580-0172 (no dashes)

HI @BKNS27   But OP can make outgoing calls, why would account not Active.

and @lucky724   is yours a dual SIM phone?  Maybe the PM Sim on the wrong slot ?

Need Help? Let's chat.