cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Intermittently Working - How to Replace?

TortugaVerde
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I think my SIM is getting old or worn out. I've had it through several phones and now, occasionally, my phone will notify me that I don't have a SIM installed. I'll take it out, clean it, and put it back in the phone and it works again - connects me to Public Mobile.

Since I need this to work with no interruption, is there a way to get a new SIM card issued and keep my number? How would I go about doing that?

14 REPLIES 14

PBfan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi hTideGnow - My friend had a defective SIM card and did what you suggested, he bought a new card at a Telus store. However, there is a major problem with your next step. He cannot log into his account and profile page using his desktop computer to change the new SIM, because the EverSafe 2-factor authentication system recently introduced by PB  insists on sending a login code to his phone that he cannot receive. Hence, he is unable to log in or even consult with this community. How do you get around this catch-22 situation? On his behalf, we look forward to a workable solution.

SIM card pull, clean and reseat is suggested from time to time.  

I think it was mentioned cos OP said he has cleaned it before 

Had anyone recommended cleaning it prior?

I, too, highly doubt it would get dirty (maybe oxidized or otherwise impacted if it was exposed to accidental moisture).

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@TortugaVerde - if you are saying you have tried this SIM in different phones and the service reacts the same then I tend to think this is network, or yes SIM damage. Only way to confirm, I guess, I to preform a SIM Swap and see if that helps your services.

See "How To Change Your SIM Card" in this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap

Really, how can you see into such a tiny opening?  Trying to fix what ain't broke is the best recipe for breaking something.  

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I doubt SIM can wear out. Most likely contacts in your phone are dirty or oxidised. Try to clean SIM port and clean SIM contacts.

My SIM card which is an original from the first day I started this serving has been used in probably 20 devices over the years, including testing in tablets.  Some were tray format, some were slots under a removable battery.  In all cases the contacts are spring loaded to put a tiny bit of pressure on the SIM card.  The one constant in all this is I never clean the SIM card.  It continues to work.  I really wish SIM card cleaning is not recommended as a solution.  All the scrubbing will do is induce unnecessary wear.  

It can be.

Depends on device and spacer used.

OP could also try another persons working SIM in subject device.  

A spacer is a recipe for jamming the SIM in the slot.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

When you identify that it's the sim itself and not the phone by using another phone for a few days then run the innocent question by support saying you have intermittent connection and you've tried it in another phone. If they suggest you get a sim then maybe they'll credit you back for the cost.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TortugaVerde , after you replace the SIM card as already suggested, please avoid SIM card cleaning that's often suggested.  Contrary to this belief, SIM cards do not get dirty.  Physical force on the SIM card will wear it out.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@TortugaVerde 

It’s more likely the SIM card tray in your current device than the SIM card itself.

Though not recommended, some people have put spacers on the non-contact side of a SIM card, such as a small folded piece of paper, to ensure good contact with the business side of the card.

Also, make sure you have the correct adaptor on the SIM card if you are not using a nano size.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @TortugaVerde  but it could be your phone, too

Test your sim card in another phone for a week to confirm

if you need a new sim card, get one in Telus or Koodo corporate store

After you got it, go to My Account using a computer (not mobile phone) to go to profile page and change sim card there.   Then your phone number will programmed on the new sim card and you can use it

Need Help? Let's chat.