cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

AprilGr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I need to  have roaming services for one week in Spain. What can I do? 

If it is not possible, could I divert my calls to a Spanish number?

12 REPLIES 12

@computergeek541   Sorry, but I'm going to disagree about the Wind/FM World Traveler roaming option.  I used it for a couple of years and it worked really well for the limited usage that I needed it for and that is all I would really want a roaming service for, especially comparing the costs of  roaming per day charges being offered by other carriers.    Whatsapp on WIFI worked/works great for most of my other calling/messaging needs. 

I never used the World Saver option, so won't comment on that.

Edit:  However, I don't see that roaming option available on the FM website now.  Maybe they offer something just for postpaid plans.

@dabr wrote:

@AprilGr   Freedom Mobile used to (haven't checked if that changed) offer a really good roaming service called World Traveler for a fixed monthly fee (used to be $8) you could send a receive calls/texts based on fixed charge per call/text, data charges was quite expensive though.  IIRC correctly the calls and texts were 25c each and for receiving the 2FA and other preset alerts it was very practical and affordable service IMO especially if you only needed to only use it occasionally.  That's one feature of FM that I've really missed since moving to PM.   I have no idea what/if they still offer anything similar (cost wise that is) but definitely paying $15/day roaming to me is not something I would ever consider.  Shaw Mobile might offer some better roaming options too if you're looking at other carriers and this is important to you.

I don't consider what Wind had to be a good deal.  They were charging a fee that allowed them to make more money.  Sure, you can say the customer was buying in to a discount program, but the regular roaming rate charges were so high that it wouldn't have made sense to use the roaming otherwise.  Wind also had that silly World Saver add-on until they realized that very few were going to pay for something that made it so that the carrier could make more money and they just started including it with all of their plans.

@AprilGr   Freedom Mobile used to (haven't checked if that changed) offer a really good roaming service called World Traveler for a fixed monthly fee (used to be $8) you could send a receive calls/texts based on fixed charge per call/text, data charges was quite expensive though.  IIRC correctly the calls and texts were 25c each and for receiving the 2FA and other preset alerts it was very practical and affordable service IMO especially if you only needed to only use it occasionally.  That's one feature of FM that I've really missed since moving to PM.   I have no idea what/if they still offer anything similar (cost wise that is) but definitely paying $15/day roaming to me is not something I would ever consider.  Shaw Mobile might offer some better roaming options too if you're looking at other carriers and this is important to you.

@Meow wrote:

@AprilGr wrote:

OK, I just gonna change the company

So which company will let you roam through Spain????

I did just a quick search and if customer has a Telus account, they offer roaming to several countries, including Spain...for $15 per day. Trouble with that is...a Telus account is dang expensive compared to PM. When I had a Telus account several years ago...there was ALWAYs hidden costs that showed up at end of month. I skidded them, went to PM and haven't missed them for a second.

@AprilGr wrote:

So which company will let you roam through Spain????

You're going to Spain for 7 days...can't you survive using free voip app like TextNow ? You'll get a free Cdn number for others to call you. You can call them back.(free). You can send and receive text messages (free)....All of that using wifi. With free wifi being available everywhere these days...might just have to ask for the password.

edit...spelling again !

AprilGr

@AprilGr wrote:

that is a terrible problem. I need to be able to receive calls from Canada meanwhile I am there. What I have to do? Change to another company?

@AprilGr  You can setup a VoIP number.  TextNow is a good one.  They will give you a new 10 digits number like a normal number.  You just need to forward the PM phones to this new number before your trip and you have your voice call issue taken care of

Text is a more trouble thing.  Text forward will work but only with LOTS of work and I will avoid

Just make sure, if you have setup 2FA authentication for your banks, email, social media, change the 2FA methods from text/voice to email (not safe) or Authenticator app (Best).  That could take care of it

You could. But you can also get a voip app and forward your calls to it. Then when you are on wifi you can use the voip app. Don't let the Public sim hit a US tower on the way or you'll break that forward.

AprilGr

that is a terrible problem. I need to be able to receive calls from Canada meanwhile I am there. What I have to do? Change to another company?

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @AprilGr  

Sorry, there is no roaming service in Spain for PM.   PM only offers roaming for USA only

You have to rely on local prepaid Data sim.

For voice call, you can use free VoIP app like Fongo or TextNow

This is definitely the way to go, not only for reliability but it is usually much more cost effective. A voip like text now can get a lot of what you need done for free as long as you can access wifi

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @AprilGr  

Sorry, there is no roaming service in Spain for PM.   PM only offers roaming for USA only

You have to rely on local prepaid Data sim.

For voice call, you can use free VoIP app like Fongo or TextNow

Need Help? Let's chat.