cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

TH04
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Planning a one week trip to Washington and coastal Oregon and purchasing Roaming add on for my iPhone 8+ . Any issues that I should be aware of? 

11 REPLIES 11

@dust2dust Oh really? Do you have a custom launcher? I also have an app called Signal Spy that would probably tell me this info and more, but that's a bit more of a hassle.

@DennyCrane- Thanks. Not my Samsung though. I can watch bars change or not. If they jump up then it's 3G. If they don't then it stayed on LTE. Otherwise I dig down into about phone to see the evidence.

@dust2dust it's the same on an iPhone and Android. Turn wifi off and make a call and watch what network you're connected to. This has worked on my Pixel and friends iPhones that I've helped them with. 

@DennyCrane- I think it was you that clarified the evidence to look for on an iphone.

@TH04- I was looking for the LTE symbol on the top bar when you make or take a call. Unless that's what you mean.

TH04

Yup. LTE is my PM cellular mode. 

Ok good you might be on volte. Can you turn off wifi and make or take a call and see if it says LTE in the top bar.

TH04

I have a check mark next to LTE in my Cellular Data settings for Voice & Data. Thanks for the heads up re roaming data and cell data setting. Hopefully Seaside OR has good coverage with T-Mobile. 

$30 for 1 week (15 days, but the OP's trip is 1 week) of calls, text, and data is a good deal, considering you get the continuity of your own phone number. If you just need data, fine; but calling and texting is a pain if you don't have your own number. To each their own though.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I myself am going to the states and am choosing a different route (Using VOIP) via TextNow. Another option is just getting a pre paid Mint SIM. Mint Mobile  Check the postal code of where you maybe going for service. Also check Google for pre paid in the areas you're going to be. Sure it's nice to bring your PM with you however you can always forward your PM to your temporary US carrier. At least I think you can?? Can anyone confirm this?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Coverage of course varies as it does anywhere. Leave your provider network on automatic. Data and text should be fine. Talk is the problem. Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte yet? If so then you should have no problem. If not then are you able to set your networks to 2G GSM? If not then you might have a problem with talk if you're not on volte.

Turn on roaming data for data as well as cell data.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TH04  Washington state can be a bit problematic from what I’ve read around here . You have to make sure you’re connected to T mobile and try different areas and possibly reboot you phone . And note US roaming add on starts a soon as it’s purchased . But if it doesn’t work for you while away you can message support for a refund so long as you haven’t used it because it wouldn’t connect . If you were going away for longer then a week my suggestion would be to just get a local pre paid SIM card for your destination 

Need Help? Let's chat.