cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards vs Points

pennywise134
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Which option do you guys think has better value? Rewards or Points?

16 REPLIES 16

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel 

Please that's irresponsible.... Why don't you recommend points when you show us that you joined the points program.

choose points

@pennywise134   you properly have enough information,  here is another summary (but my conclusion is the same. NO NO and NO to Public Points)

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less UNLESS you have the $40 plan or above
    (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more loyalty rewards, meaning the loyalty discount of $1/month up to $5/month will disappear. Instead, they will only give $10 each year on the anniversary.

For someone with PM between 1st to 12th month
                  The old reward system will give $0 that year, versus $10 at the end of the 12th month with thew new system
    For someone with PM between the 13th and 24th month:
                    The old reward program will give $12 that year ($1/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 24th month with the new system
    For someone with PM between months 25th and 36th:
                   the old reward program will give $24 that year ($2/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 36th month with the new system
    for someone with PM between months 61 and 72 (and every year after that after that point)
                  the old reward program will give $60/year ($5/cycle) versus $10/year under the new system 

3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot
    Also, you have to remember to convert your points to dollars once it reaches 15 points.  PM no longer automatic apply the reward discount.

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone 

pennywise134

Thanks for the input everyone. I almost changed to points on impulse, but glad I came ger to consult with the community first. Rewards4Life

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@pennywise134    What we're all trying to say is don't be "pennywise and pound foolish".  

Sorry, couldn't resist!  😁

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

$ rewards is my preference. I would not consider changing to points. 

@Meow wrote:

If you are new customer you have no choice - it is points to you.

Rewards work best for cheaper plans. For most expensive you have to do math.

Points are worse right up to the most expensive $95 plan for a long time customer.   How is that?  Those on the higher priced plans are far less likely to buy add-ons.    The loss of the $50 per year ($60 vs. 10 points) for a customer with 5 years of loyalty rewards is almost wipes any benefit of switching to points in the third year. Also, the only reason it's even close is becuase of the one-time welcome points and loyalty points payout.  Those don't exist for future years.

@will13am wrote:

Reward $ FTW!  The break even is about 2 years.  

The spreadsheet tool that Public Mobile provided stops at 2 years.   If those calculations were to continue past 2 years, the total would get progressively worse.  This points stuff has been a PR disaster. Customers saw right past it.  While it's good that existing customers had a choice, the concept that switching would be good for existing customers is quite honestly, nonsense.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pennywise134 

There's no point in changing to points. Trust me I've done the math only under certain circumstances can you make points work for you that can come sort of close to rewards value that's only if you have a higher data plan and you use it mostly for data and you tend to suspend a lot otherwise rewards are more rewarding. Other than autopay and you are on a higher data plan above $40 a month can you marginally make back a little more than the auto pay $2 reward.

The big difference is in loyalty if you plan on staying with public mobile there is no point no point at all and switching to points. The calculator supplied by public mobile and linked by @dust2dust skewed in public mobiles favour as it stops just as rewards get better and points show their true value which is less much less. Anniversary points are 10 points a year loyalty points continue to grow until it maxes out at $5 per month after you've been here 5 years the difference is between getting $10 in points value and $60 in reward value you get $50 less on the points program. Per year on the points program over the course of 5 years of full reward value you get $250 less with points.

Points are pointless rewards get more rewarding!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Reward $ FTW!  The break even is about 2 years.  

@pennywise134    With points you lose autopay discount ($2) and loyalty is paid out once a year with 10 points ($10).   With points you earn back 5% of payments and purchasing add-ons (some are discounted to purchase with points).  You might be better off with a plan over $40+ but will still lose out on loyalty rewards going forward.

edit:  BTW, you can only redeem points towards payments once you accumulate 15 points ($15), but can purchase add-ons for smaller amounts of points.

Have a look at this spreadsheet that the company put out when the new points came in.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points-Rewards/td-p/...

Or from the announcement :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points-Rewards/td-p/...

It's pretty much universal around here that it is not worth it to switch.

pennywise134

can you clarify? from what I can see I'm currently earning $3/month from rewards and if I switch to points I would be getting more than 3 points per month

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you are new customer you have no choice - it is points to you.

Rewards work best for cheaper plans. For most expensive you have to do math.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@pennywise134 hi the old rewards system is far better if you are on it do not change, you will lose alot more then you will gain 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@pennywise134   Rewards!  Don't change to the Points unless you want to cash out loyalty rewards (one time credit for number of months with PM) to use up before moving to another carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.