cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving security code from foreign bank

curlywillow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an overseas bank account and in order to login to their online banking they text me on my mobile phone a security code to enter.  Lately I changed phone number and I cannot get these codes anymore.  Foreign bank says some countries and phone companies do not allow sending these codes and to check with my mobile phone provider.  Is there any legal or technical issue why I would not be able to get these security codes on my mobile phone?  Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

@curlywillow 

which bank was it? this is an interesting site that tells you what they offer.  It is not 100% accurate, but still worth to check

https://2fa.directory/au/#banking

@marcmib wrote:

Just a note most banks don't use an authenticator app unless you're a company 

@marcmib 

Actually more banks are using now in US/Europe/Australia.  They mostly have their own authenticator apps instead of using 3rd party one (Google, Microsoft, etc)

In fact, more overseas banks using it than Canada, Canada just slow on this

Also, the Authenticator app just one of the choices to see if the banks offers.  They could still have email and calls for 2FA

marcmib

Just a note most banks don't use an authenticator app unless you're a company 

curlywillow

Thank you, I will ask them.  Way more than 7 days.  But I am puzzled why my wife was receiving these codes reliable (she is on Koodoo), while I am not receiving it on Public Mobile.  Both are Telus

@curlywillow if Koodo is receiving it, then it could be just an time delay.  It might take 7 days forbit to start wotking

@curlywillow 2FA is 2 forms authentication, that's the security code you are waiting from your Australian Bank.  Those are special "shortcode" and again, it is not a guarantee delivery of it comes from overs. You have to check with your bank and ask for alternate ways to receive it,  like email or phone calls or use of authenticator app

BUT, if you just ported less than 7 days, there is a chance it just take time for the the systen to find out your new mobile provider and route the text properly 

curlywillow

Also I was receiving these bank security codes reliably (she has Koodo, which is Telus too).  I expected having Public Mobile should work.

@curlywillow  2FA ( two factor authentication)

Two Factor Authentication
For text, it can come via a phone number or a short code. The one here comes via phone number and it's 6 digits.

curlywillow

What is 2FA ?  They did mention some 5 digit number I didn't record it, but I can ask for it again.  Once I receive this 'number' what do I do with it?  Thank you.

@curlywillow also, cam the bank send you 2FA vis email or can they use Authenticator app

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@curlywillow 

please note that international shortcode text, like 2FA text from US banks, are not guaranteed., it is a hit or miss. Regular international text are ok but not shortcodes.  It might work on some providers sometime and experience show it will broke sometime 

only Canadian shortcode text found here are guaranteed 

https://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

curlywillow

That is not the case. I had this number for number of months, maybe couple of years and so far I had these security numbers sent to my wife's mobile phone.  I tried to switch to my phone number for few months and they say issue is not on their side, they are sending the code, but for some reason I am not receiving it..

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@curlywillow  If you just changed phone number it can take a week for 2FA for other institutions to catch up with number change 

Need Help? Let's chat.