cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving SMS Text in Pakistan

TM_Tor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to visit Pakistan. I want know if I will be able to receive SMS text in Pakistan with my Public Mobile SIM. This is needed for receiving multi-factor authentication text message for some of my account logins.

5 REPLIES 5

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

While in any country where PM doesnt offer roaming then best option for you is 3rd party authenticator app.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If possible, you should avoid using SMS for 2FA for that roaming reason and also for security reason as SiM swapping is quite popular these days. I suggest using some 2FA apps that you can use anywhere. However, some sites don't have app option and only use SMS which is sometimes challenge. 

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @TM_Tor 

PM not offer service in Pakistan, 

but you use that app Talkatone, Free canadian number,

Talkatone: Texting & Calling – Apps on Google Play

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@TM_Tor 

PM does not offer roaming in Pakistan. You need to purchase a local SIM in Pakistan or use WhatsApp wifi calling and texting.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TM_Tor   No, you won't.

You will need roaming service if so, but PM does not offer roaming service other than for USA. 

So no

The workaround get local data service there.  Then for voice service get a VoIP service like Fongo or TextNow, you will get a Canadian number for the service.  People can call and text you on that number.  You will receive the call as long as you have Wifi or Data service in Parkistan.  You can also use that to make calls back to Canada for free

If you are currently getting SMS text for 2FA for bank or so., before your trip,  arrange other 2FA methods , like email (not as good) or Authenticator app (Best) 

Need Help? Let's chat.