cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Banking SMS during International Roaming (India)

parthjaggi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I'm trying to get CIBC banking SMS/call while in India for a couple of months. So far I couldn't find a way. Does any alternative or paid alternative exist from Public Mobile?

8 REPLIES 8

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

SMS charges.  

6B86C33C-FE1D-4CE4-9BE0-A3683C38B47B.jpeg

No guarantees on short codes. Perhaps not a good idea. 

See the blurb. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Charges 

F365B744-B671-440B-A601-11FFF6CB7F45.jpeg

Texting used used to be free....but you need to verify charges for them as well. 

@gabton 

You could always port out your number to Voip.ms

That would close the OPs PM account! OP is looking for a temporary fix. 

and foward the SMS to your email.

That will work if OP has access to wifi or data. 

You can also use a softphone to receive and make calls at like 0.005$ per minute. 

@parthjaggi  @gabton  has neglected to say what Softphone is. In your case it could be as simple as putting an app on your mobile phone that is compatible with voip.ms, such as Zoiper. Voip.ms is all in USA dollars and minimum top ups are $15 and a phone number (DID) is 85 cents a month. Once trip is over you can cancel DID and your voip,ms account will remain open and balance will sit untouched. You can also get a $10 credit to your account by using a referral code. Once back in Canada you may find use for the voip Account for calling India and other countries using the Zoiper app “without” a DID. I have mine set up and the caller ID is my PM number.

If you go with this option I would try/test in Canada first. 

@softech wrote:

@parthjaggi I believe CIBC has option to set the 2FA to Authentication app.  Use Authentication app and them don't have to worry about not able to receive 2GA text

Out of curiosity, does OP need 2FA text or email to verify after OP first time to use it? If need 2FA, then OP couldn't do it.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Voip.ms will work but requires wifi or data to operate. 

Perhaps get a Canadian voip number and temporarily change your number on your CIBC account to make it work. 

gabton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You could always port out your number to Voip.ms and foward the SMS to your email. You can also use a softphone to receive and make calls at like 0.005$ per minute. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@parthjaggi I believe CIBC has option to set the 2FA to Authentication app.  Use Authentication app and them don't have to worry about not able to receive 2GA text

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@parthjaggi hi no there is no service of any kind with Public in India you will need to make some other arrangment with CIBC

Need Help? Let's chat.