cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beginner’s Guide to the Community

Evelyn2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I am wondering if I can set up a Cellular wifi router using a P.M SIM card for data?  I already have my phone through PM and would like to set up a wifi router were I have no available internet.  

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evelyn2 : I found the app I once used. Although it's Android. It's still in the Play store. It's called IP Webcam. It's gone through many updates since I once used it.

@Evelyn2 wrote:

Hi I am wondering if I can set up a Cellular wifi router using a P.M SIM card for data?  I already have my phone through PM and would like to set up a wifi router were I have no available internet.  

Public Mobile doesn't have restrictions on the type of device that you can use your SIM card in. The router will need to have a SIM card slot and be compatible with the Public Mobile network or you'll have to use a USB cellular modem and plug it into a router that is comaptible with the USB modem and has a USB port.  You may also have to use software or the router's configuration interface to configure the APN settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evelyn2 : I once setup my phone as an internet-accessible webcam and pointed it at a thermometer so that I could monitor the temperature in the house. I had it connected to a timer like a light timer and set it for a few hours each day and kept the phone charged up. I would log in to the phone and be able to see what its camera saw...the thermometer. But that was wifi. I don't know how much data would be consumed if it was on cell data. So even with those other cell wifi boxes...how much cell data will it consume just with a camera.

Evelyn2

my house is rural and I inherited a shop on property in a small hamlet.  So my internet won’t reach 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evelyn2 : So like a webcam live streaming? Maybe a motion detector to alert you?

How not secure is your garage though? Windows, locks, doors etc?

@Evelyn2 

Do you have Wifi in your house already and the signal does not reach garage?  If so, you could buy a stronger Wifi router (like Orbi or similar meshed system) or buy a wifi extender.  

Evelyn2

I don’t want to leave my phone there.  I want to run a camera in my garage that my internet doesn’t reach and I have a problem with thieves stealing stuff.  And I want the camera to send me video as they just steal the recorder otherwise.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evelyn2 : Your phone can be a hotspot. But yes I have inserted a PM SIM into the couple devices that Telus sells. The SmartHub and Wireless Home Phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.