cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to get connect to Public Mobile network

vaneliya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Public mobile community,

Would really appreciate it if someone can help me with the issue I'm struggling with for a 2nd week already.

Situation:
Have a phone Samsung Galaxy Note10+, model SM-N975U. The phone was gifted to me. I know it was bought and used in US for a short time. When it's turning on - says Verizon. I have no way to contact the previous owner and ask anything about the phone.

I was using Rogers before switching to Public Mobile 2 weeks ago. No issues there. There was a message in notifications "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless", but it was affecting anything.

I got a public mobile SIM card and transfer my previous phone number from Rogers to Public Mobile. However, once I put a public mobile SIM card into my phone - it is not able to connect to the network automatically.

I tried the following:
1) Taking out the SIM card, waiting several minutes, and putting it back in
2) Resetting mobile network connections on my phone
3) Plugining my SIM card into my friend's phone - it works

4) Plugining my friend's Public Mobile SIM card into my phone - the same issue, it doesn't work
5) Tried every Network mode available:
    a) GLOBAL
    b) LTE/3G/2G (auto-connect)
    c) 3G/2G (auto-connect)
    d) 3G only
    e) 2G only
6) Following this guide to add a new APN manually:
https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-note10+
Once I did that and selected the newly created APN and set Network Mode to "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) - I tried to manually search for Mobile Operators and there were 4 available (TELUS, ROGERS, BELL, FREEDOM). I chose to connect to TELUS, it connected and Mobile Network is showing Public Mobile. However, it's losing connection to the network every 30 seconds and then 30 seconds later reconnects to it again. The cycle repeats indefinitely.
I'm not able to make any calls as it looks like it's not able to be properly registered on a network.

I don't know what else to try or how to resolve the issue.
Public Mobile support said "device issue" and stopped there. But it's working fine with different non-Public Mobile SIM cards.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

MC4L

are you sure your within range of public towers?

@gpixel wrote:

@vaneliya 

try installing a Canadian software version using ODIN 

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-smartphone/

The different software versions don't usually change the compantibility of the device (there are some exceptions to that were software disables some bands).  The above suggestion could work, but anyone attempting this on a Samsung device must fully understand that attempting this could destroy the device (as with any software flashing) if done incorrectly, and that this process voids any warranty with the manufactuer and seller of the phone.

@vaneliya 

try installing a Canadian software version using ODIN 

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-smartphone/

Is it possible the Rogers SIM worked on 2G?

You can try changing the CSC of your Samsung phone to get rid of the Verizon software restrictions.

vaneliya

Just did a factory reset. Didn't help. Same issue.
Had to manually select to connect to TELUS as it wasn't connecting automatically anywhere.
Gets connected. The network appears, after 20-30 seconds loses public mobile network.

Anything else I can try?

vaneliya

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

The phone is not blacklisted, I checked.
I tried selecting every available network, including 3G, manually in Mobile Networks -> Network mode and restarting afterward. Doesn't help. Unless @computergeek541 you are talking about some different menu?
@computergeek541 Any idea how to resolve potential HSPA/3g network capabilities?

@Kristowhy factory reset is the only thing I haven't tried. Trying to figure out if I explored every other possible option out there

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Given the age of the device and Verizon's locking policy it should be unlocked for use on other networks per Verizon's policy

https://www.verizon.com/support/device-unlocking-policy/

@vaneliya have you tried doing a factory reset of the device and then inserting the PM SIM?  Samsung devices seems to have odd behaviours when you replace a SIM with another carrier after setting up the device and many things get reset.  This combined with the Verizon image could be the culprit.

Given the Verizon firmware image even if it works with another carrier you may have issues with obtaining future OS and security updates.

Good luck!

@dust2dust wrote:

Try another Rogers or Fido or Chatr sim in the phone.

Excellent work by the way. I'm a little suspicious of the Verizon hooks in the phone though.

There have been some past unlocked Verizon phones that required an extra step to get the HSPA network to work. Although compatible, some of these devices required the customer to manually select the 3g network in the menu (even if it already appeared to be selected).  Until that was done, only the LTE network would work. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Try another Rogers or Fido or Chatr sim in the phone.

Excellent work by the way. I'm a little suspicious of the Verizon hooks in the phone though.

The fact that your SIM works fine in other phones and the fact that your friend's Public Mobile SIM card doesn't work properly in this phone supports the customer support agents conclusion that this is a device issue.  I also believe that to be the case.

The phone is compatible.

I believe that there is an issue (possibly a hardware fault) with the HSPA/3g network capabilities of the device.  This would explain the failure of the ability to make and receieve phone calls.  Such an issue woudln't be obvious using SIM cards from other companies if those companies support VoLTE.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @vaneliya 

check if your phone is blacklisted

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Also, find a friend using Koodo or Telus, ask them to test the sim card on your phone and check if it connects

Need Help? Let's chat.