cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about coverage (Calls, Text, Data) while traveling within Canada

ames
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All,

I just joined PM on the 4.5G promo plan.  Below is a summary of my plan.

This plan includes:
- 4.5GB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
- Unlimited International Text
When i travel to another province, do I get to use my PM services locally as long as PM has coverage in that area?
Since I have canada wide talk and international text, I would think I can call and text wherever I am within Canada just like when I am in my home town.
For the 4.5GB data, I would think the same logic applies where I can use data anywhere within Canada.

Am I correct?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

I don't think you can disable roaming overall. You can only disable data roaming as far as I know.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Question: Will a phone with roaming disabled avoid connecting to a non PM tower and connect to a PM tower instead even if it’s signal is lower? Or will it still connect to a US tower but just not work?

@pakmode wrote:

if it does, then it will not work unless you pay for a US roaming package.

So there is literally nothing to worry about with PM.

The problem is if your phone connects to a US operator and roams, incoming voice calls will go straight to voicemail.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CherylKirby wrote:

When I was with Telus and visited my mom in Sarnia, there were frequently extra roaming and data charges to the US that I didn't incur. Telus would refund the costs but so much wasted time waiting for them to answer. Eventually, they somehow made a zone that covered both sides of the bridge but only for those whose phones were based there (London is long distance so the "Zone" didn't automatically apply.

You wont ever be billed for Extra Charges with PM.

It is a prepaid service, so you will only get the service you paid for.

Since only Canadian coverage is included in this plan, it will not switch over to the US towers, and if it does, then it will not work unless you pay for a US roaming package.

So there is literally nothing to worry about with PM.

CherylKirby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I was with Telus and visited my mom in Sarnia, there were frequently extra roaming and data charges to the US that I didn't incur. Telus would refund the costs but so much wasted time waiting for them to answer. Eventually, they somehow made a zone that covered both sides of the bridge but only for those whose phones were based there (London is long distance so the "Zone" didn't automatically apply.

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM use the tower of Telus and Bell so that cover whole canada. but some people has problems near of board between US and Canada as Niagara fall, etc. So you should check your signal if you go the board. your phone is going to change the roaming mode, it means you can't use your phone or pay for roaming service.

thanks

@stonechucker, you're correct.

Sharing is done per frequency band, and all the main frequency bands are shared between Bell and Telus. These include:

B2, B4, B5, B7, B12/17, B13, B29.

B30 is for Telus only. There are some TDD bands that are not shared, but those are for fixed wireless applications (wireless home internet service). Mobile phones don't use them.

The network is shared by Telus and Bell.  So if you're in reach of a Telus or Bell tower, you'll be fine.

@sheytoon, I do not believe I'm mistaken in this - are there situations that we as Public Mobile *may not* share the Bell tower?

Derekmcl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM uses Telus towers, so you should have data service in most provinces. In the odd remote areas where only Rogers or Bell towers are available, I wonder whether Telus has sharing agreements in place to avoid roaming charges for Telus or PM customers. 

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yup. You’re covered anywhere you go in Canada to talk/text/use data with that plan. 

Need Help? Let's chat.