cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile SIM not working

Tishie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi all. My public mobile SIM card is inserted correctly. I tried putting it in again, turning on and off airplane mode, and restarting my phone. Unfortunately, my phone still says "public mobile network not available". Also, I tried to activate my SIM card online and hot "error 821".

Maybe my phone isn't compatible with PM? It is a Samsung Galaxy A13. Just bought it outright a month ago and signed onto a Koodo plan.

Would be grateful for any help or how to contact a moderator.

24 REPLIES 24

@Tishie1 

Are you trying to port from koodo prepaid or postpaid? If it's prepaid you have to take a temporary number and have customer support  transfer your phone number from your koodo prepaid account to your pm account. 

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

There are 2 similar numbers with almost same numbers. 

IMEI

MEID

IMEI2 I believe is for an Esim 

You want IMEI. 

Once your SIM is registered to your account your carrier WILL KNOW your IMEI. When you ask for a service, giving the IMEI number proves ownership of the phone currently on your account.....or the current phone IMEI that is holding the SIM card that is associated with your account. I remember changing a SIM to a different phone on my Telus prepaid account.....the IMEI that showed on my account changed immediately. 

Tishie1

Isn't that for used phones? I just bought mine new at Superstore...

@Tishie1 wrote:

Sure enough, my credit card was charged twice...

@Tishie1   that was what I expected when you told me you activated multiple time. 

No worry, once PM Support picks up your ticket, they will sort out the porting issue as well as arrange refund for the extra charge.  Just make sure they do as you are now have 2 different accounts opened.  They will need to help close out the other account if not, Autopay will charge you twice monthly as well

@Meow wrote:

IMEI is 15 digits long (on my phone) and it was never asked for while signing up with PM.

Yes, I get that @Tishie1 

IMEI is not generally needed when activating at Public Mobile.  Using the prior provider's account number during the activation is generally preferred and yields greater success. 

I'm suggesting you use the device's IMEI# to check to make sure the device isn't blacklisted for any reason.  I'm not suggesting it is, just want to get that out of the way.

The "device check" link I provided earlier allows mobile users in Canada to check to see if their device is blacklisted or not.

Tishie1

Sure enough, my credit card was charged twice...

@Tishie1   no worry, porting asks for IMEI or account number.    But as @darlicious  mentioned, it is better to enter account number.   

In fact, error 821 is because an IMEI was entered while the system was looking for Account number instead

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Usually 821 is missing/incorrect porting information. Your SIM card will need provisioning to your incomplete account activation. Send a private message to customer support with "incomplete activation" in the subject line and explain in detail your issue. Once the CSA sets it up correctly you will be able to finish your self serve account set up.

Tishie1

That is so weird....it asked for mine

IMEI is 15 digits long (on my phone) and it was never asked for while signing up with PM.

As I suggested in the other thread, @Tishie1 , if you have access to ANOTHER device which is compatible with Public Mobile, please insert your activated SIM card into that device and see if you have full calling/texting functionality.

Also, while you're at it, check this to be certain all is well with your device:

Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | DeviceCheck.ca

@Tishie1   no worry about the phone, if it can be used on Koodo, it can be used on PM and Telus for sure .  Telus owns both Koodo and PM and they use the same network  🙂

Tishie1

Why would it ask for the IMEI number and mean account number?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If you have access to one, @Tishie1 , try inserting the Public Mobile SIM card into another device and see if it has services (calling & texting)

Tishie1

Ok I'll check, thanks. I was with PM for a long time. Then a salesman sold me a phone that he said had to be used with koodo. I agreed just to get the phone. Now I'm trying to get it onto public mobile.

@Tishie1 

Maybe you are mixing up your terminology? The sim card number is used when activating a new account/service. The IMEI # is your device or phones identification # as it pertains to the sim slot and being recognized as a unique identifier of the device. Dual SIM phones will have to unique IMEI #'s for each sim slot.

If you are using it to port your phone number into pm....its better to use the account # from your old provider although there are a couple exceptions to this rule with a few small providers.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@Tishie1   Your 821 error because you should enter the Koodo Account number and NOT IMEI.  That's what caused the 821 error

BUT DO NOT activate again.  Wait for PM Support to reply and work with them

sorry @Tishie1   My fault, I thought you meant SIM #..  SIM # is 19 digit ...

nonon.. IMEI is not 19 digits...

Tishie1

You mentioning PM SIM being 19 digits. I was asking about my IMEI number. It was 2 digits too long...

@Tishie1   check your credit card statement.  If you tried activated 3 times, I worry you got charged by PM 3 times.  PM usually already charged the CC at that stage if you see error 821

Also,  from your Community participation, look like you have been in PM for sometime.  Just want to confirm you have your new SIM card to activate a new line with PM ?  

Tishie1

I did get error 821, yes. I tried to activate 3 times yesterday. I'm wondering if my IMEI number was too long.

Still waiting for help from support...

@Tishie1  I thought you already activated and got error 821 
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Public-Mobile-SIM-not-working/td-p/800911

If you did get error 821, do not activate again.  VERY LIKLY your account was activated and PM charged your cc already if you got to the stage seeing error 821.    Open a ticket with PM Support and wait for their reply first

FYI,  PM SIM is 19 digits long

(update: sorry, talking about PM SIM  19 digits, NOT IMEI)

Tishie1

Working on getting my SIM working. Wondering if the problem was my IMEI number. It was 2 digits longer than the space allowed so I had to leave off the last 2 digits...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Tishie1   DO NOT try to activate again.  ERROR 821 usually means  you have some problem with the information you provided for porting.  Very likely your account was already setup and PM charged you.  I understand your SIM does not work at the moment but it is likely just a SIM provisioning issue on the backend.    please open ticket with PM Support

For Samsung A13, yes, it is compatible  ✔️  with PM network 

For your 821 error and sim issue, please open ticket by direct messaging with PM Support here:

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Need Help? Let's chat.