cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province Wide Calling: 873 Quebec number can't call 819 Quebec number?

rebemcc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all! Been with PM for all of 2 months and this is my first post so please, bear with me.

I'm on the Province-wide calling plan and was given the choice of only an 873 area code number. My understanding is that this is, in fact, a Quebec telephone number, and even Wikipedia says so.

Why is it though, that I can call an Ontario 613 area code, no problem, no charges, but the 819 code I cannot and need a long distance add-on? 

I live, and my phone is registered to a Gatineau, Quebec address. I'm very baffled.

7 REPLIES 7

@stonechucker wrote:

If only Telus would grant local calling area to PM.  It’s an old thing, but Ottawa to Hull and  Gatinea, is a local call on landlines, and should be always included when in a border town or area.

To help out those living in border cities, Public Mobile should make accommodations in the same manner as for landlines.  It is not fair to force these people onto Canada wide calling plans.  @Brooke_C, something for you to consider.  @Luddite, put this into Santa list (strictly speaking not a bug, but why not).

If only Telus would grant local calling area to PM.  It’s an old thing, but Ottawa to Hull and  Gatinea, is a local call on landlines, and should be always included when in a border town or area.

Cupuacu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've noticed this happening in the reverse situation as you. I have an Ontario number and was in Gatineau when I received a call. I answered the phone no problem as I had a long distance add-on so I didn't really think of it much. But when I looked into my usage history it actually showed my location as being in Ontario despite being far enough from the border.

rebemcc

Oh darn.

Good to know that the problem has already been earmarked! When I signed up for PM, Ottawa-Gatineau was a regional option that I could select to identify my location and I did just that. Perhaps something is in the works.

It's no real issue right now as I wanted Canada-wide calling and I have made that change effective next month. I mostly just wanted to place a pick-up order for dinner.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Proximity to the Ontario border is most likely the issue in Gatineau/Hull area.  Really difficult to say precisely when your phone connects to a Quebec tower.  

I recall there was a major discussion 2 years ago in this forum about this topic and we suggested some sort of compromise for those living close to the borders.  But I don't think it was possible to implement anything like that without breaking the system PM has in place.  

rebemcc

Ah! Cell phone towers, that's a good point. I had not thought about that. Thank you @imm1304.

I do live close to the provincial border, but I have been in well into Ottawa, Ontario, and made a phone call to an Ontario number (not realizing that I had not actually signed up for Canada-wide calling) and it went through. On that same note, I have been in Montreal, and made a phone call to a Montreal phone number and it easily goes through. But while in Hull, the call to a Hull number does not go through. 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @rebemcc!

If I were to guess, I would say that you may be connecting to the cell towers across the provincial border.  I have heard of similar issues in the past with people living close to provincial borders.  

If you are significantly far out into Quebec and still get the long distance issue, I recommend you send a private message to the mods and have it looked at. 

Also, after the long distance warning message, if the call goes through and you have no long distance add-on to cover the cost, it means that the area code is from traditionally long distance area based on local zones and is technically long distance for your location but still free as included in your plan.  

Need Help? Let's chat.