cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with US add-on

Joian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

my husband and I are both subscribed with Public Mobile, both having iPhones. We both purchsed US add-on last year when we went to Cape Cod but we were both unable to use voice and text. We had a service call with Public Mobile and were told the issue was at the US end. We are now going to Michigan and wonder if it will work there. Anyone knows? Any advice?
thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Joian

You are wonderful! It now works. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your patience. Thank you, thank you, thank you

HI @Joian 

if data works, text should work

and which carrier you connected to?  Try Both T-Mobile and AT&T. Check the text first

for voice, you can try T-Mobile.  Once connected to T-Mobile, change the network mode to 2G and you should be able to call

Joian

hi again, we just found it and it is on. However, our phone and text still do not work. We really do not know what to do. 

@Joian- Set your phone to connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T. Automatic should work though. I've seen rare mentions of phones somehow connecting to other providers though. And also set networks to 4G LTE.

Joian

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Dunkman I think only iPhone 8 and up are compatible on PM's VoLTE network. My mom's iPhone 7 on PM still doesn't have it, and to be honest I'm not expecting it with the age of that device.

Hi,

thanks for your earlier help. We are now in Michigan and the add on does not work. We can't find on our iphones (mine is xr and my husband se) the option for VoLTE. Any suggestions? Thanks

@Joian You should be good to go then.

@Dunkman I think only iPhone 8 and up are compatible on PM's VoLTE network. My mom's iPhone 7 on PM still doesn't have it, and to be honest I'm not expecting it with the age of that device.

Adding - oh good. Then you should have no problem. If your phone is on 5G now then when you get there set it to 4G LTE to get the best chance of success.

If you see that you've somehow connected to something other than T-Mobile or AT&T then connect to either manually.

Joian

Hi, thanks. The above works right now here in Canada. Not sure it will once in the US. 

Joian

Thanks. I'll try to see if that is an option for our phones.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I was in southern California last year, I had my network settings set to automatically detect the network and found that my connection was spotty at times and sometimes never got data. I then manually set the network to connect to T-Mobile and never had an issue with data. my plan was just data, though. Just something you can try if you end up having issues.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Joian 

I do know that the 15 Day US Roaming talk / text and data does work in MI...I've used it myself in the UP to Detroit.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Joian 

US roaming has improved with the activation of VoLTE earlier this year.  Which model phone do you have?  If VoLTE compatible, you should have less issues.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/volte

Edit: Looks like you have iPhones.  These phones are VoLTE compatible. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

While coverage is always an issue, for now, turn off wifi and make a call. Does the top status bar keep showing LTE? If so then roaming should be no problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.