cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential scam...?

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

Normally I'd deal with things like this myself by either ignoring it, blocking it or if I'm in a mood respond to it and mess around with the person, but in this case given the context and literal secrecy implied, I figured I'd share this message publicly under the assumption that it is a scam of some sort and to raise awareness towards discarding such messages.

Capture.PNG

21 REPLIES 21

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@Barryere wrote:

Hi,

Normally I'd deal with things like this myself by either ignoring it, blocking it or if I'm in a mood respond to it and mess around with the person, but in this case given the context and literal secrecy implied, I figured I'd share this message publicly under the assumption that it is a scam of some sort and to raise awareness towards discarding such messages.

They just signed up 3 hours ago (now 9:57 ET at this writing) and this is how they start. Yeah...ignore. Thanks for the heads up.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would definitely report this.  It seems rather suspicious.  Thanks for helping to raise awareness. 

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I got exactly same thing this morning, I reported it to the MOD.

Barryere

I'm not keen on reporting anything but I did this once.

Barryere

They just sent me the same message again about 5 minutes ago, copied and pasted.

I just got the same thing so what can be done about it?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Barryere  @RossN 

Other than reporting them, you can add the user to your "Ignore" list. I believe that would block any further messages, though I haven't had occasion to try it myself. There are two ways to do this:
1) You can go to their profile and click "Ignore" which appears when you hover over the empty space underneath "Send this user a private message"

PMC_IgnoreFunction.jpg
2) In the private message they sent you, click "Ignore" which appears when you hover over the empty space next to the message timestamp.

PMC_Ignore_2.jpg

RossN
Mayor / Maire

yes well that's all well and fine for those of us that can follow your directions but is there not someone here that can take away their privileges

@RossN,

If you still have the pm in your inbox, there is a 'Report' below the message on the left.  This should be all you need to do to report it to the correct people.