cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential scam...?

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

Normally I'd deal with things like this myself by either ignoring it, blocking it or if I'm in a mood respond to it and mess around with the person, but in this case given the context and literal secrecy implied, I figured I'd share this message publicly under the assumption that it is a scam of some sort and to raise awareness towards discarding such messages.

Capture.PNG

21 REPLIES 21

Asullivan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for letting us know. Will definately keep an eye out 🙂 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K wrote:

Hi everyone,

This user has been banned permanently. If you see other activities like this please continue reporting.

Thanks,

Alan

Thanks for the quick action, Alan.  Smiley Happy

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi everyone,

This user has been banned permanently. If you see other activities like this please continue reporting.

Thanks,

Alan

@Barryere wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

Are we sure this is a scam ? Maybe Susan really does like the looks of your profile and would like to get to know you more better (sic). Maybe that private discussion would lead to your righful inheritance of some millions in lost gold coins, recently rediscovered. Then again.... !! Smiley Frustrated

You're probably the person whom sent the message and if not I guess you are trying to joke about it.

@hairbag1was clearly being facetious, at least that's how I read it!

Barryere

Suppose I was offered millions of dollars, in a scam, there is always a catch.

My appologies...was just trying to be funny.

Barryere

@hairbag1 wrote:

Are we sure this is a scam ? Maybe Susan really does like the looks of your profile and would like to get to know you more better (sic). Maybe that private discussion would lead to your righful inheritance of some millions in lost gold coins, recently rediscovered. Then again.... !! Smiley Frustrated

You're probably the person whom sent the message and if not I guess you are trying to joke about it.

@hairbag1, it's against the TOS.  

Cath

@Barryere  Received identical message this morning.  Reported.

SD08

@RossN wrote:

yes well that's all well and fine for those of us that can follow your directions but is there not someone here that can take away their privileges

@RossN 

Yes, PM staff have the ability to ban users either temporarily or permanently for violating the community Terms of Service.  If you've reported them already, either by using the "Report" link or by messaging Alan_K directly, then there's not much else to do, other than what I already suggested. I would definitely not advise replying to the message.

@RossN,

If you still have the pm in your inbox, there is a 'Report' below the message on the left.  This should be all you need to do to report it to the correct people.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

yes well that's all well and fine for those of us that can follow your directions but is there not someone here that can take away their privileges

SD08

@Barryere  @RossN 

Other than reporting them, you can add the user to your "Ignore" list. I believe that would block any further messages, though I haven't had occasion to try it myself. There are two ways to do this:
1) You can go to their profile and click "Ignore" which appears when you hover over the empty space underneath "Send this user a private message"

PMC_IgnoreFunction.jpg
2) In the private message they sent you, click "Ignore" which appears when you hover over the empty space next to the message timestamp.

PMC_Ignore_2.jpg

I just got the same thing so what can be done about it?

Barryere

They just sent me the same message again about 5 minutes ago, copied and pasted.

Barryere

I'm not keen on reporting anything but I did this once.

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I got exactly same thing this morning, I reported it to the MOD.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would definitely report this.  It seems rather suspicious.  Thanks for helping to raise awareness. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

Hi,

Normally I'd deal with things like this myself by either ignoring it, blocking it or if I'm in a mood respond to it and mess around with the person, but in this case given the context and literal secrecy implied, I figured I'd share this message publicly under the assumption that it is a scam of some sort and to raise awareness towards discarding such messages.

They just signed up 3 hours ago (now 9:57 ET at this writing) and this is how they start. Yeah...ignore. Thanks for the heads up.

Need Help? Let's chat.