cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number out without losing promo

JustinDugal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! As I'm sure many of you have, I signed up with Public Mobile during the Black Friday sale for 40GB at $34 a month. My initial plan was to port over my Telus number to PM, then port it back to Telus to use my EPP plan, and finally, retain this PM plan while porting over another number from Cogeco cable to my PM account. I'm learning now that this might not be feasible. I've already transferred my Telus number onto my PM account. As far as I understand, once I port it back to Telus, my PM plan, even though it's only about a week old, will be canceled. Is there any way I can keep my existing plan at the price of $34 a month while obtaining a new number? Perhaps by getting a new SIM card? I want to avoid paying more than $34 a month, but I also need my current PM number transferred back to Telus.

15 REPLIES 15

@JustinDugal Got it. I myself just ported from PM to Telus for an amazing Black Friday EPP deal as well.

JustinDugal

yes exactly that. the epp plan i signed up for is only for new customers. 

@JustinDugal I get you didn't know; I'm confused as to your ultimate objective. You would have also lost your Telus plan in the process. Was your intent to be able to port back to Telus for a new customer acquisition offer?

JustinDugal

unfortunately they cant do anything... 

JustinDugal

"At the time, I wasn't aware that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. And at this point, it's too late, I think. It sounds like I just have to cancel my PM plan and switch to Freedom Mobile for the time being since they have a $34 plan. Hopefully, PM will have a better deal during Boxing Day.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I'm not clear on why you ported your Telus number to PM in the first place, if it was never the plan to stay. You should have just taken a temp number at PM, or ported from another line that wasn't the Telus line in question.

Regardless, no you can't do what you're asking to do. As soon as you port the number out the account is closed. You could check back around Boxing Day to see what deals they have at that time.

@Handy1 wrote:

@JustinDugal  Just thinking maybe if you call Telus and explain to them your situation . And ask if you change your number on PM account it should send the number you have now back to Telus assuming that’s where the number originated and if it did is it possible for you to open new account with Telus to get that number back out of the number pool and if they say yes .change you PM number while you have them on the line simultaneously create the new account with Telus unless you have another line on there to use already and take that original number back 

Client care at Telus and Public Mobile customer support agent have been specificly instructed not to accomodate such requests.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Yorkton641  I think Justin would have this dilemma regardless of which carrier he was with. Unfortunately, the phone lines are associated with 2 different carriers and it is difficult to move one without disrupting the accounts. 

@JustinDugal Hopefully Customer service can work their magic! Let us know what they say so we can learn from your experience too!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JustinDugal  Just thinking maybe if you call Telus and explain to them your situation . And ask if you change your number on PM account it should send the number you have now back to Telus assuming that’s where the number originated and if it did is it possible for you to open new account with Telus to get that number back out of the number pool and if they say yes .change you PM number while you have them on the line simultaneously create the new account with Telus unless you have another line on there to use already and take that original number back 

JustinDugal

I submitted a ticket a few hours ago, and I'm waiting on a response. If I end up losing the promo, I'll have to switch to Freedom Mobile, at least until maybe the Boxing Day promo or something.

hi @JustinDugal but there is no more $34 plan with new activation 

@JustinDugal  No you would just need to create a new account plan with new email 

JustinDugal

is there any way to reopen the closed account with a new sim card/number and continue paying the $34 a month or would I need to select a new plan?

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @JustinDugal,

Porting out your number from Public Mobile to another carrier will essentially close your account with Public Mobile and you will lose your Black Friday Promotion.

You can always submit a ticket to customer service if they have a strategy to move the current number elsewhere without closing your current account. All the solutions I could think of involve you closing this account momentarily which will inevitably cause you to lose your promo

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JustinDugal  No sorry that can’t be done  if your port PM number out it will close the account 

Need Help? Let's chat.