cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan says 20GB of 5G data, but getting throttled to reduced speeds after using 2.61 GB

UnsatisCustomer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

UnsatisCustomer_0-1705505104430.png

As you can see, I've only used 2.61GB of my allocated 20GB of 5G data but I'm only getting LTE speeds now and even VoIP has been suspended, why is my speed reduced to LTE even though I didn't use the allocated 20GB data?
I have the 34$ plan.

12 REPLIES 12

Jberetta2002

One thing to keep in mind still is low signal areas, whether you're inside a building that has some materials/structure blocking a high quality direct signal, or outside between tall buildings that lack signal repeaters to strengthen the signal in the area. I think this is more or less a thing of the past on most of the GTA anyhow, but the 5g hardware upgrade is always in progress.

Hopefully you've got the problem sorted out, and it was a simple as a phone restart (remember, these are really hand held computers, they need a reboot to stay fresh every so often), or a network refresh in your settings. 

UnsatisCustomer

Yep, that's the message I saw.

@UnsatisCustomer  Yes I think many iPhone users saw that pop up about LTE calling was turned off . But some have said just rebooting the phone helped . If you turn off wifi and set phone to LTE and make a call does it stay on LTE or drop to 3G ? If stays on LTE then voLTE is still enabled if it drops to 3G then it’s been turned off . And reboot  the phone if you haven’t already and test again . I have iPhone to but didn’t get this message myself 

UnsatisCustomer

Thanks @Handy1 . And about the pop up saying that Public Mobile has suspended internet calls, I can't recall the exact term or the message I saw, I just hit okay thinking it was probably nothing.

@will13am  I agree it’s lil confusing for sure . But I shared the screen shot because if one is being throttled that’s how it displays in my account at least . So I thought it would be helpful to share and clear up any worries about OP actually being on throttled speed 

@Handy1 wrote:

@UnsatisCustomer  Are you doing a speed test ?? Why do you think you have been throttled speed ??. that usually will only happen once the plan data bucket is used up and will say so on your account like this 

Handy1_0-1705505418043.png

It is interesting how the green bar shows PhoenixUnlBundle512kbps90d which implies 512 kbps speed while the notification in the box below says 256 kbps.  The help article refers to 512 kbps as well.  Based on my limited experience when the 5G speed plan in my account came with no included data, I was running on the throttled data and was experiencing speeds at 512 kbps.  The way the data throttling worked was the speed would peg at 512 kbps.  This is very different than the 3G speed plan where the speed bounces around 1-1.5 mbps.  As a result, both seem to offer about the same user experience.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/overview-of-plans

UnsatisCustomer

Just did a speed test on my phone: Download speed is at 45.44Mbps. So, I think the LTE logo on my phone is just misleading and the choppy video call quality was probably bad luck.
Thanks for all the quick answers. Appreciate all the replies.

UnsatisCustomer

I haven't done a speed test, but my phone's data bar has been showing LTE instead of 5G in last couple of days. Also, got a pop up on my phone saying "Public Mobile has blocked internet voice calls on your phone". I was on a video call on Messenger yesterday and the video kept going out with a message "Your network connection is poor".

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@UnsatisCustomer 

Your service is not being throttled.  Otherwise, the throttled speeds is much slower than LTE.

Your phone is like picking up the stronger signal.  Depending on location, LTE connection may be stronger than 5G connection.  Try to manually select 5G connection in your settings. Furthermore, even on LTE connection, your data speeds can still be up to 250 Mbps (like 5G connection).  You could try a speed test if you wanted (this will use up data though)

Do you mean VoLTE being suspended?  Several customers have posted about this morning.  Public mobile is being made aware of this issue. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hI @UnsatisCustomer 

maybe just browser cache and what you saw was not the correct amount data used, please use Incognito/private/secret mode on your browser to login My Account to confirm the usage again 

if same, reboot your phone and test the speed again

if it is same slow data,  please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437                     

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@UnsatisCustomer  Are you doing a speed test ?? Why do you think you have been throttled speed ??. that usually will only happen once the plan data bucket is used up and will say so on your account like this 

Handy1_0-1705505418043.png

Need Help? Let's chat.