Did you mean: 

Plan changes from 3 g shuts down

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When 3 g is turned off in 2025 what will happen to the 15 3 g plans

14 REPLIES 14

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Now the solution makes no sense.....the OP already knows when the 3G network is scheduled to be decommissioned. That wasn't the question asked?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This thread makes no sense.. looking into the future.. 2025.. ?? Really??

umnikke8

The only thing that needs to happen is VoLTE support as phone calls with Public are currently carried only on the 3G network. Data flows on the 3G and 4G network, but not 5G currently. The names of the plans aren't important, what they call "3G" plans are one speed grade and "4G" are a faster speed grade. Both types of plans use the same data networks, 3G and 4G.

@CountyDownIeUk I can make a website and put my predictions on it, but it won't make it true. Unless you hear it from Telus directly, it's all speculation.

Chrissyrioux12

Thank you everyone 

@sheytoon  So, end of 2025 was not a firm date?  Canada is really behind

@Chrissyrioux12   from now till 2025, you will see rumour evey month saying PM will be out of business and will be converted into Koodo.  So, some people, the don't believe PM will last till 3G shutdown date. (no worry, rumours are rumours) Lol

@Metal1967 wrote:

2025.. we’ll all have sim implants by then.. lol

🤣thats my comment! Although I can’t predict what’s gonna happen by end of today let alone 3 years from now 🤣

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2025.. we’ll all have sim implants by then.. lol

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Chrissyrioux12 may be PM upgrade the 3g to 4 g on 2025.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Chrissyrioux12 

I am of the belief their slow roll-out of 4G will eventually take over their 3G offerings.

It's likely most new activations are on 4G plans, and it's just the long-timers who may still be on the 3G (mostly the $15.00) plans and a lesser number on the $25.00 plan.

They'll just rebrand it as VoLTE or LTE or something for those still hanging onto the '3G' plans.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Chrissyrioux12 

"3G" plans only refer to their data speed being throttled to 3mbps. All plans whether they are "3G" or "4G" work on both the 3G and 4G LTE networks. As mentioned by @sheytoon voice calls currently only work on the 3G network so once VoLTE calling is enabled for pm customers the eventual decommissioning of the 3G network in Canada will have no real affect on your pm service.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

There is no shutdown date announced for 3G. It will be after 2025.

The "3G" plans work on 3G and LTE. The only change required is PM needs to enable VoLTE on all their plans. This is in progress. It was anticipated to be done by end of 2022, but it has slipped to 2023.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Chrissyrioux12 

No one here knows that for sure, but the 3G plans would most likely disappear.

Only Public Mobile management would know the answer to that question.

Need Help? Let's chat.