cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone plan not working in United States

Ash19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, 

My husband and I signed up for the Canada-US promotion that advertised 50gb within Canada and US, and unlimited Canada and US minutes and messages. We went to the States a little while ago, and neither of our data worked. We got a message from Public Mobile offering us "add-ons", but we shouldn't need to purchase anything extra considering the plan we have advertised US working data. How can we get that fixed before our upcoming US trip in a few days? 

10 REPLIES 10

Ash19

Thank you for sharing that, we'll give that a try! Appreciate all the feedback. 

Will_Neo12

Hi, 

I just got back form the USA. And I have the $34/50 gb usa/cdn cell phone plane using  and I currently have an android device. The data and service was great, It either connected to AT&T or T-Mobile. It worked great. Make sure in your Settings>Network and Internet> SIMs> Public Mobile > roaming On and Preferred network type is - 5G Recommended . My wife has an Iphone with the same plan, and she also had no trouble connecting to the data. She has the similar settings turned on with her phone. 

Ash19

I'll give this a try for our upcoming trip, thank you!

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ash19 - Please go to Settings > Cellular > Data Options and turn on Data Roaming switch and click on 5G Auto / On and change it to LTE.

Ash19

I have an iPhone 13. When I switched to Public's e-sim I have 2 sims listed: one is "primary" and one is "travel". My plan in Canada only started working when I selected the "travel" one switched on. When I click on "cellular data" there is an option for "allow cellular data switching", but it won't allow me to click it with the way my current settings are. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Roaming setting is on your phone. At SIM card settings (at least on Android).

@Ash19 wrote:

I don't remember which one we connected to, but we did connect to a US carrier. I didn't think to switch to 4G (don't know how to do that, honestly). By turning on Mobile Data roaming, do you mean doing that in my phone settings, or is that something to select on Public's app?

What make / model is your phone and we can give you detailed info ?

Ash19

I don't remember which one we connected to, but we did connect to a US carrier. I didn't think to switch to 4G (don't know how to do that, honestly). By turning on Mobile Data roaming, do you mean doing that in my phone settings, or is that something to select on Public's app?

colleeno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Be sure to have Roaming turned on and switch to 4G. If your phone is not automatically connecting to AT&T or T-Mobile, you will have to do so manually. AT&T and T-Mobile are the only providers in the US for PM customers. I think you can switch back to 5G if you can connect to T-Mobile but only 4G with AT&T.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ash19 

the message will come regardless you have the plan or not

but do you know if your phone connected to T-Mobile or AT&T ?  Sometimes, you need to manually connect them.  Also, better to use 4G and not use 5G.  and you turned on Mobile Data  roaming on your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.