cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number is changed to a new one on my phone without my authorization nor my knowledge

Newbies1956
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Somehow my phone number is changed to an unrecognized one on my phone without my authorization nor my knowledge. However, on Public Mobile web site, my profile stihas my correct phone number. I wonder if Public Mobile has some kind of outage recently.

54 REPLIES 54

HI@Newbies1956  Try to use Incognito mode to login to My Account and check if your phone number showed on the Profile page is correct.   

PM usually reply around 1 to 3 hours.  Keep checking the  Community inbox.  I would send them a message if you don't hear anything after another hour

Newbies1956

It 's been more than 1 hr, but I have not received any response from them yet. Is it normal in this case I wonder.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Newbies1956 

You're welcome. Yes they will reply to your private message box at the top right corner of your screen next to your Avatar. They will likely respond in the next 15 minutes or so and you can have a little chat back and forth in your private messages and they will look into your phone number issue and get it corrected. Just look for the little number to pop up on your envelope icon indicating a reply from a CSA.

Newbies1956

Hello darlicious & dust2dust,

Is there anyway for me to find out if a CS rep is looking into my reported issue.  Thanks for your help and responses on this. 

Newbies1956

Thanks for the info. I 've just sent a message to CS with my current/correct  and the unrecognized phone numbers as well as my PM account number. I hope they can restore the number on MY PHONE so I can use it.  

Newbies1956

Thanks for the info. I 've just sent a message to CS with my current/correct  and the unrecognized phone numbers as well as my PM account number. I hope they can restore the number on MY PHONE so I can use it.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

The OP has private messaging enabled.

Down at the bottom in the footer area ChatBot (SIMon). The envelope should be next to your bicycle avatar. Let us know if you don't have the envelope.

Thanks @darlicious . I keep forgetting to do the little check. Nothing wrong with them looking but yes I could verify.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Newbies1956 

If you're good with chatbots click the first link below if you're not good with chatbots click the second link read the spoiler and send a private message.

Edit:

Your private message box is the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

Newbies1956

Where can I find the chabot or envelop icon.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So this is not port related at all. Click on the Chatbot link at the bottom. Or click on the envelope icon up top and the username is cs_agent.

Adding - maybe for funsies, try a restart.

Newbies1956

Hi there,

This is an existing PM account which was signed up 7 months ago. There 's nothing change or porting request initiated from my end

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Newbies1956 

If you need to still Port your phone number in do you still have the SIM card from your old provider? If you do put it in and see if it is active if it is then you're good to go.

If it isn't then you must contact your old provider and ensure that you have an active account unless it's koodo or telus then you have to contact customer support at Public Mobile to make the arrangements to Port from an inactive account.

There is an exception that if the phone number is coming from PC Mobile or Koodo prepaid then only a public mobile CSA can complete the transfer for you. Otherwise login to your cell service account and go to the change number feature and put in your Port request. You will need to enter the following...

• Your old providers account number.
  • Full name on your old account.
  • The phone number to ported.
  • Alternate phone number. (Optional but put your home number, spouse, work) it serves as an extra identity verifier on your account so it's good to have.

Then reply yes to the porting authorization text that will be sent to you on your old providers SIM card if it's active. If it is not active you immediately after you make your Port request call your old providers customer service line or if you Google it you can find the porting department number and verbally authorize the request after verifying you are the account holder.

Once you do this they will release your phone number and your Port will complete within 2 hours but usually within a few minutes maximum half an hour. If it extends beyond half an hour you should probably call the telus porting department to check on the status of your port.

Newbies1956

Also, I 'm signing on my current account at this time

Newbies1956

I signed up with PM 8 months ago, and nothing is changed since.

Newbies1956

There 's no porting from my end. It only happens on my phone not my account

Newbies1956

No, I 'm the only one who knows the password & all of accesses.

Newbies1956

On my account profile, my number is still the same. The phone number is only changed on my phone, and it becomes useless and not serviceable now.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Actually now that you mentioned it I do believe that they can just initiate the port request through the change number feature in their self-serve account. Because once there is a number fully assigned to their account they are not screwing with their original port.

Newbies1956

Hi darlicious,

Once I signed up with Public Mobile 7-8 months ago, I want to keep my phone number for good. As to contact contact customer support to get your phone number back, do you have a link, email or phone number I can get in touch with them to get my phone number back.

@darlicious- Do you recall whether in this circumstance that one could just do a number change/transfer oneself at this point after what is likely a failed port? Or do they need to go through someone to re-do it?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Newbies1956 

So one of two possibilities as already asserted by the other two members you either ported your phone number in 30 days ago but you did not authorize the port request by replying yes to the reporting authorization text. As a result after 30 days of an incomplete part of the mobile will automatically assign you a random new number so you can both send and receive your services.

Or what has happened very very occasionally a weird glitch happens and your phone number randomly changes in your account. Very uncommon but possible. If this is the case contact customer support to get your phone number back.

If it's the former then you need to either contact customer support to reinitiate your report request or indicate that you would like to call the Telus porting department to reinitiate your report request and we will send you the number in your private messages. You're old account must be active unless it's a Telus or a Koodo account then as long as they aren't cancelled then you can port your number in with the assistance of customer support.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Does anybody else has access to your account?

Did you do any number porting?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you just sign up a month ago? Did you transfer a number in? Did you leave the old sim in to confirm the transfer? Does your old sim still work? Can you still access your old account?

Need Help? Let's chat.