cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working for months now

atiredman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have not been able to send or receive calls on my phone (Pixel 6) for several months now, though text and data work normally.

Text - works normally

Data - works normally

Outgoing calls - does nothing, the phone hangs up without ringing after about 30 seconds

Incoming calls - go straight to voicemail

Things I have already tried:

- Reset my Wi-Fi, mobile and Bluetooth

- Turning Airplane mode on and off

- Restarting my phone

- Putting my SIM into another phone (an older iPhone)

- Putting another SIM (Bell) into my phone

- Submitting a ticket with SIMon (I kept getting "Error Logging In" when trying to verify my identity)

When I tried swapping SIMs with one of my friends, his Bell SIM worked normally for sending and receiving calls on my phone. My SIM also was able to send and receive calls normally in his iPhone. This was rather confusing to me, as both the phone and SIM appear to be working fine separately.

I am located in the Thunder Bay region, which I am aware has spotty coverage. However, my phone worked perfectly this spring and I doubt coverage has been down everywhere I have tried over the past few months. Any help at this point would be much appreciated, as I am getting frustrated continuing to pay for a service I can only partially use and have run out of ideas of how to fix the problem.

16 REPLIES 16

I am not in Ontario but in BC. I use my phone particularly in the summer in an area where I am stretching  the cell signal a bit further than one normally would have to. It is looking to me as though 3G while not being decommissioned, it is being removed from some cell sites for whatever reason. I am having more difficulty making and receiving calls since PM only uses 3G for voice. Hopefully we are getting closer to Voice over LTE voice service here at PM as I bet 3G will continue to slowly disappear.

@Timer- Why are you constantly so completely averse to reading the conversation? You replied earlier to his OP that mentioned it. He mentions the fact again on a couple other occasions. You are of no help to the customer as you say you want to be when you waste their time, AND YOURS, with these kinds of replies.

Adding -@Timer - also already suggested and then acknowledged as a last resort by the OP...which I agree.

@atiredman 

Edit: tried to do Hard Reset.

@dust2dust ok fixed.

HI@atiredman  yes, it could be possible a problem with the 3G issue on the antenna or with the software

If possible, get a friend to do the test again. 

1. first just swap and see if it works like last time

2. then on the pixel phone, see if you changed to 3G as the preferred network, if the friend's sim card still able to connect to the network  (keep in mind, last time your friend's sim works, could be just because VoLTE kicked in) 

atiredman

Yes, we tried swapping the SIMs in Thunder Bay. We were each able to successfully send a call with each other's SIM in our phones. If I had an antenna issue, I don't think I would be able to call with his SIM, unless it's an issue specific to 3G. When we swapped SIMs back, I immediately tried to make another call, and it failed in the same location.

I didn't notice a big OS upgrade before it stopped working, but it is possible. I will consider factory resetting my phone as a last resort, though obviously I would prefer not to go through the hassle.

HI Lorca, 

what phone do you have with the issue?

and what city you are at?

@atiredman wrote:

Although, I am still confused as to why my SIM worked in my friend's phone when he tried it. You would think if 3G was the culprit, it wouldn't work anywhere.

@atiredman   when you were testing your sim card on your friend's phone, was it on the same location where you have voice trouble?

It could also be your device antenna issue, somehow 3G is not working

And was there any OS upgrade in May/June and the issue started right after?

Another thing to try, Factory reset the phone.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Same problem for me in Ottawa. I contacted Public mobile and they reset my account. No change. They purchased a new SIM card for me, no change. Same problem with another family member living in another city. I had two phones with Public mobile but have ported out my main one because phone calls have to be accessible. 

atiredman

Although, I am still confused as to why my SIM worked in my friend's phone when he tried it. You would think if 3G was the culprit, it wouldn't work anywhere.

atiredman

It's an awful long "short term" if they are fixing it, my phone hasn't worked since probably May-June.

I submitted a ticket as you suggested. Hopefully I will be able to have the issue fixed, if not I will look into getting another plan with Koodo or Virgin. Thank you for your help.

@atiredman wrote:

Hi @hTideGnow 

I think you may be correct, I followed your instructions and tried switching to 3G, which does not allow me to connect to PM network. I am connected to LTE when I am able to use my Data/Text.

I haven't been able to try my phone in many different areas. Thunder Bay is pretty isolated, and it's a 6+ hour drive to the nearest big city in any direction.

HI @atiredman   I am surprise they don't have 3G network on Thunder Bay now.  Hopefully just short team and they are fixing it.

Please open ticket with PM CS agent and let them aware of that, hopefully a fix on the way (if not, you will have to move to another provider with VoLTE , like Koodo or Virgin , they do not need 3G  for voice, they can have voice over LTE, which PM cannot)

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

atiredman

Hi @RossN,

Thank you for your reply, I tried setting my phone to 3G, which failed to connect to PM at all.

I also opened a ticket though SIMon and if that doesn't work I will try private messaging.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@atiredman 

tried manually select network 3G only or WCDMA only. and rebooting device.

atiredman

Hi @hTideGnow 

I think you may be correct, I followed your instructions and tried switching to 3G, which does not allow me to connect to PM network. I am connected to LTE when I am able to use my Data/Text.

I haven't been able to try my phone in many different areas. Thunder Bay is pretty isolated, and it's a 6+ hour drive to the nearest big city in any direction.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@atiredman hi it seems like you done what you could, have you tried setting your phone to 3g if that doesn't help 

you need to contact customer service agent 

1. you can open a ticket through Simon here https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

2. alternatively you can private message them here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check your community envelope for a reply

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @atiredman   

I think it is the lack of 3G network in your area or a 3G problem on your phone

Try to change your network setting to 3G only and see if it connects to PM network at all.  There is a chance that it won't

1. Swipe up.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Network & Internet.
  4. Select Mobile network.
  5. Select Advanced.
  6. Select Preferred network type.
  7. Select your preferred option., 
  8. Change to 3G

Also, do you see your phone is getting voice call and able make outbound calls when you are in a different area form your current location?

Need Help? Let's chat.