cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone network compatibility

schung14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm planning on getting a dumb phone, xiaomi qin f21s.  Here's the link.

Since Canada is phasing out the 3g network by the end of this year.  I am wondering if the phone will work in the future.

The phone has 4G network capability for FDD Band 1/3/5/7/8, and TDD band 38/39/40/41.  Of which, I think only band 5 (850Mhz) is compatible with Public Mobile.  In a help section I see that band 5 is for downlink, and uplink only has band 4 available.  Am I correct to assume that the phone will not work if it does not have band 4 capability?

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@schung14 

This one isn't too smart but not too dumb either but you would have to order it from Amazon.com....

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Hotspot-Assistant-Charcoal/dp/B08SV2Y7J6

schung14

Thanks for the recommendations.

schung14

I want something that's not a full smartphone as a replacement for my 3 year old smartphone.  I just need a web browser, and whatsapp for messaging.  Getting a dumb phone would help me stay things like youtube as I find that being a big time sink.  The form factor isn't too important.  Having a decent music player would be nice.

schung14

Thanks for the info.  I thought I saw Dec 2022 for the phase out deadline, but it turns out that's for the US.

I will keep in mind your recommendations for what bands to have when shopping for future phones.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@schung14 

Stay away from that phone. It's barely compatible and overpriced for Ali Express. What are your requirements for a "dumb phone"? Flip phone? Rugged? "Senior"? New? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@schung14   Canada is NOT phasing out 3G this year.   At the moment, the time is Dec 2025

Please note that PM uses these bands

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

PM uses only 3G for voice, there is no VoLTE here,

Your phone only has band 5 for 3G, while it works, it is not sufficient.  All phones should have BOTH Band 2 and 5 for voice or you will suffer a lot of dropped calls 

For LTE, according to you, this phone has 

FDD Band 1/3/5/7/8, and TDD band 38/39/40/41

So, only B5, B7, are the compatible 4G bands.  Again, you should get as many LTE bands as possible for stable data connection, or you will suffer no LTE signal for most area 

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.

I suggest to stay away from this phone if you need to pay and buy it new.

Of course, if your family has one, put your PM SIM card in for testing it for couple days and see 

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@schung14 hi here are the band frequencies for Public 

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz (band 5), 1900 MHz (band 2) and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Need Help? Let's chat.