cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone malfunctioned during transfer process

BLehmann
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am transferring from Telus to Public. I have the SIM card and have setup an account with Public. However, my phone malfunctioned in the middle of this - before I got the SMS from Telus. The phone has been repaired (2 weeks later), but I am now in limbo between Telus and Public with no way to connect to either network. 

11 REPLIES 11

@BLehmann 

Welcome.....finally....to public mobile. Happy to hear you were able to connect to both the porting department and the moderators to get your port completed. You were able to use the community resources to also apply the correct APN to get your data services up and running. Were here for you when you need us!

@BLehmann wrote:

Final solution:  

1.  Spent an hour on the porting helpline cleaning up the transfer out of Telus.   Amoung other things they had to do a manual confirmation over the phone instead of the usual SMS method.  At this stage I could connect to the PM network, phone out, but could not receive calls .  No data connection.

2.  Created a service ticket with PM.  Some changes made so that I could receive calls.  APN still was pointing to Telus, so still no data connection.  

3.  Manually added a new APN for PM using the instructions at https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

With this I then had data and full use of the phone through PM.

Done!

It's good to hear that everthing is working.  Wen it comes to the APN settings, this is not a porting issue, not is it a Public Mobile issue. No amount of time would have fixed the APN setttings over time until  you manually changed them. This is entirely dependent on the software installed on the phone.

BLehmann

Final solution:  

1.  Spent an hour on the porting helpline cleaning up the transfer out of Telus.   Amoung other things they had to do a manual confirmation over the phone instead of the usual SMS method.  At this stage I could connect to the PM network, phone out, but could not receive calls .  No data connection.

2.  Created a service ticket with PM.  Some changes made so that I could receive calls.  APN still was pointing to Telus, so still no data connection.  

3.  Manually added a new APN for PM using the instructions at https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

With this I then had data and full use of the phone through PM.

Done!

[Would you like fries with this combo?  ........... Luddite]

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BLehmann 

Hope the port went through fine.

BLehmann

I entered a port request ticket. 

To answer other,s the Telus account is still in good standing.

@BLehmann 

As long as your telus account has not been cancelled or closed you can still port your telus number to pm. It does not have to be "active".

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BLehmann , did you keep your Telus account in good standing during the two weeks?  If so, you should be able to rescue the number port.  If the Telus account was allowed to expire during this time, then you might be out of luck in keeping your phone original phone number.  You could contact Telus and see if there is any way for them to help out.  As for the Public Mobile account, it does not need a number port to be functional.  It can run on any phone number and should actually be functional at this point.  

@BLehmann 

You have two choices to reinitiate your porting request from telus but first make sure your telus sim card still works....if so place it back in your phone and either contact the moderators to make the porting request for you and then respond YES to the porting authorization text. After that you can either wait til your services stop on your telus sim card ( a few minutes to a maximum 2 hours) and/or remove the telus sim after responding and insert the pm sim card and wait for your incoming calling to come to your pm sim card and you know your port is complete.

Alternatively you can make your port request thru the telus porting department. Have your telus account number ready and again have the telus sim card in your phone. Call the number I send to your private message box ( top right corner of your screen the envelope icon next to your avatar). Please note that number is for porting requests/issues only if your pm sim card has no services at all then moderator contact will be necessary to properly set up your account and sim card.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BLehmann 

It sounds like you didn’t complete the Telus text to confirm with Telus that you are porting over to PM but give Telus a call to confirm.

You can put the old Telus SIM to another phone and confirm that you are porting over to PM if porting wasn’t completed.

Activate the PM SIM on your computer.

Have the phone checked out where you had it repaired to see what is wrong with the phone.

Once the problem is fixed, you can put in the PM SIM and power up the phone.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BLehmann 

You can open a ticket for porting assistance here and type "port request"

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@BLehmann 

Does your Telus SIM card still work? What happened when you put the PM SIM card in the phone?

Your port is likely stuck if you were not able to receive confirmation text from Telus.  Your PM SIM card should work partially.  Ie. you able to call and text out.  Not able to receive text or calls.  

Need Help? Let's chat.