cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone from another carrier

Glosier
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I upgraded my wifes Bell phone and was going to use the new hardware for my daughters public mobile number.  It is an Iphone Mini 12 and when I put in the public mobile sim I get SIM not supported.  Bell tells me the device is not locked.  Thoughts.

13 REPLIES 13

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thread is solved and few hours old but I would say re-seating of the SIM card is the first step to try.

Test other SIM cards in the phone. If a Bell SIM works then you know the device works (isn't blacklisted/etc) and if another non-Bell SIM doesn't work then you know the device is carrier-locked (regardless what Bell may have told you). If another Public Mobile SIM works fine then you know the one you're having problems with is malfunctioning or it wasn't (or it is no longer) activated.

You probably don't need to purchase SIM cards for this. You might be able to borrow SIM cards from phones belonging to friends/family. Just swap the card in and select operator/network/carrier as "Auto" (if the device doesn't do that automagically). It should only take a couple minutes and a couple restarts with each one, and the SIM owner can watch. (Your phone will of course have their phone number and service for the duration.)

Glosier

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glosier wrote:

Hi not quite sure what the issue was.  I took the sim out of another phone and it worked fine but than put this sim back in and it worked.  I did follow the network reset as wll.  Partly wondering if I might have had the sim in wrong.  All good now.  Thank you all so much.

@Glosier 

glad to hear that,

enjoy your service...

Glosier

Thanks.  I had put the sim in from my work phone and it worked.  I may have had the sim card in wrong.

Glosier

Hi not quite sure what the issue was.  I took the sim out of another phone and it worked fine but than put this sim back in and it worked.  I did follow the network reset as wll.  Partly wondering if I might have had the sim in wrong.  All good now.  Thank you all so much.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Glosier 

You need to update your iPhone with PM carrier specific config file after changing provider.  Your iPhone may still have the Bell specific configuration.

1.  With PM SIM card inserted and update your iPhone to get the PM carrier specific info.

2.  If your iPhone does not have any update available, you need to run iTune on your PC connected to your iPhone to update your PM carrier specific file.

3.  Restart your iPhone after update.

Please report the result.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glosier 

can you test your SIM card in another device to you know the issue from SIM card network or your device issue.

and you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and do Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

and do Rebooting your phone 

This is quick and simple,

or if you can't fix it you have to do Erase all content and settings,

Erase iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

Hard Reset iPhone 12 mini - Remove All Content & Settings,

Glosier

It keeps coming back to sim not supported.  

Glosier

It does not show as locked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glosier : So your daughter has a PM account with its SIM. Does it still work in whatever original phone she had? So now you want to use that PM SIM in the iphone 12 mini. Can you go into the about screen and check for updates.

Edit: But you also say "new hardware". Which phone?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Glosier 

The phone should not be blacklisted.  

Maybe try a reboot of the phone with the PM Sim card. 

Network reset of phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.