cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number Not Working After Tranferring Carrier

hung3007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I currently have an issue with my new phone number. I transfer my phone number from chatr, however, it's been almost a year since I last used the number and the number has been deactivated. After making a transfer and making a payment for my plan, I can't receive calls from others (some said they receive message that I'm outside of Canada, while I'm in MB, some said that they receive the message call failed) and can't receive authorization code from apps like CIBC, Whatsapp, etc. Try to look up the problem, contacting chatr about this but they say the number is not in their system anymore, which makes sense because it has been deactivated.

Has anyone gone through the similar problem or know how to solve this problem? Any help would be really appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@hung3007 wrote:

Hi, 

I currently have an issue with my new phone number. I transfer my phone number from chatr, however, it's been almost a year since I last used the number and the number has been deactivated. After making a transfer and making a payment for my plan, I can't receive calls from others (some said they receive message that I'm outside of Canada, while I'm in MB, some said that they receive the message call failed) and can't receive authorization code from apps like CIBC, Whatsapp, etc. Try to look up the problem, contacting chatr about this but they say the number is not in their system anymore, which makes sense because it has been deactivated.

Has anyone gone through the similar problem or know how to solve this problem? Any help would be really appreciated. 

@hung3007 , I am a bit confused as to what is going where ?

So you were able to port a number from chatr even though it was deactivated for almost a year? Is that right, I must be understanding this incorrectly.

After a Public Mobile account goes into suspension for 90 days or more you LOSE that account and phone number.

If you just ported your phone number from another cell provider it could take a few hours to complete the port. Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services until the port is complete.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hung3007 : Find a number you like in the list and then ask the moderators to change it for you. That initial transfer at activation should not count as a change so you should still be able to change it. But glitches happen. You could try a different browser or clear cache/stire cookies or use incognito/privacy mode.

@hung3007 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion,

However, I tried it and it says change unsuccessfully. So I see the information that you can only change the number once per month. If so, do I need to wait a month to change it? 

You can change your number once every 30 days.

hung3007

Thank you for the suggestion,

However, I tried it and it says change unsuccessfully. So I see the information that you can only change the number once per month. If so, do I need to wait a month to change it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hung3007 : All you need to do is use the Change Number function. You don't need to start again.

Edit: oh..Winnipeg. What's the exact make/model/submodel of your phone? Telus has made some changes to their network there.

hung3007

Oh sorry, I think I misunderstand your question, 

My area code is 431 and next 3 number is 588. 

Yeah for the past year I don't have many things to contact with my phone number, so I didn't use it. Currently, something comes up and I need to use it more.

hung3007

Hi thank you Triguy,

I contacted the moderator and they said my port was canceled. 

Because my old number was deactivated, there is no way that I can reply to the transfer message.

I wonder is there any way for this one? Or I need to buy a new sim card and activate a new phone number instead of my old one? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hung3007 : and the next three digits?

It doesn't sound like you really cared about the number though seeing as how you let it die. Just pick up a new number here and you should be good to go. Restart the phone after.

hung3007

Hi thank you for reaching out, 

So my number I attempted to transfer is deactivated because I have not been using it for almost a year. 

For your second question, I transfer the number at activation.

I tried to call the old number and no one answers and my area code is 204. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hung3007 : I'm a little confused with the time line. Was the number that you attempted to transfer coming from an active account? If you had let the account that that number was attached to expire and deactivate at their end, then you can't transfer it as you no longer "own" it.

Did you transfer at activation? Or afterwards? If during activation then I suggest changing your number to a local Public Mobile number.

Try calling the old number and see if anyone answers. Let us know the area code and prefix and we can tell you which provider "owns" it and if no one answered then maybe you could go back to that provider and pick up your old number.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your port was stuck and you would need to submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.