cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Number showing up as USA on caller ID

birdinator99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey gang,

Just got my PM number (a 431 number in Winnipeg). I called my dad's number (a 204 Winnipeg number with Bell), but my location showed as the United States on his caller ID. Is this a glitch on my end or his? Would he really be charged for an international call in this case?

10 REPLIES 10

@birdinator99 wrote:

@LovesToPM On that list, my number (which starts with 554) is listed as "Assigned", and not "In Service". Does that indicate that it's relatively new, and therefore may be showing up as the 'default' location on caller IDs? How long does it take something like this to get fixed?

@birdinator99  you got it right. Unfortunately I have no idea how long it will take to be fixed.

Continue to check the list. I think it gets updated weekly.

Otherwise if the number you have is problematic, you can change it yourself via self-serve account.

@Luddite  @LovesToPM 

Poor little guy he just realized he could have flown more than halfway across Canada w/Swoop for $12. $1 cheaper than public mobiles cheapest plan w/autopay!

@LovesToPM "How did this post get derailed so easily lol?"

Derailed again. :(Derailed again. 😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@computergeek541  @LovesToPM  and especially @birdinator99 

How did this post get derailed so easily lol?

Sorry that was my fault! No disrespect to the OP!

@LovesToPM wrote:

Thanks for raising this concern. The two destinctly different conversations have been seperated.

birdinator99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@LovesToPM On that list, my number (which starts with 554) is listed as "Assigned", and not "In Service". Does that indicate that it's relatively new, and therefore may be showing up as the 'default' location on caller IDs? How long does it take something like this to get fixed?

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the 431 number locations will be corrected...

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@birdinator99 wrote:

Hey gang,

Just got my PM number (a 431 number in Winnipeg). I called my dad's number (a 204 Winnipeg number with Bell), but my location showed as the United States on his caller ID. Is this a glitch on my end or his? Would he really be charged for an international call in this case?

@birdinator99 For information about your number, you can check here:
http://www.cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA431.htm

If it was a recent addition to the list, it may explain why your dad is seeing your call originating from USA (which seems to be the default location). This will be fixed eventually.

If your dad has Canada-wide calling, he will not be charged as the area code is actually in Canada.

If you are having issues/problems with other services (2FA?), you can opt for a number change. You can request a number change once every 30 days.

More info here: Choose Your Phone Number

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@birdinator99 wrote:

Hey gang,

Glitch is on receiver's end. The other cell phone is checking internet for location of number or if it's a landline, it that carrier's fault. They need to update their infotmation.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@birdinator99  Is the (431) area code new to Winnipeg? This often happens with new area codes until they get properly recognized. It won't affect your service unless you're worried about people not answering your calls because of it. It will get sorted eventually.

Your dad won't be charged either way. The phone may not recognize the area code properly but all telecom providersv know exactly where all calls are placed and recieved.

Need Help? Let's chat.