cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overbilled on credit card, and doesn't match with balance here

911onFire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am on autopay every 3 months for $120. I decided to prepay last week before it was actually due. My account balance shows $120, which was what I put in to pay. However, the issue is that my credit card was charged $135.60. My normal payments are $120 or less every 3 months. Help! Why was it charged an additionaly 13%?

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@matbasm wrote:

Is there really a bug?  I am in the same boat.  Initail activation was end of Dec (2017) for 90 days.  Payment history shows the plan amount without tax, but my CC show the amount with tax.  Could it be that the self serve portal simply does not show taxes.  it does simplify things accounting wise.  You put in 100 + tax, and the system shows 100.  Your plan is $100, it simply deducts $100 (in amounts that match each of your plan components).  

Frankly, i think it is better this way.  No need to deal with odd amounts. 

@matbasm yes the self-serve portal only shows pre-tax amounts, ever.  And what you are describing--when you make a $100 payment, $100+tax is charged to your credit card, and $100 is added as available funds in your account. 

But yes, there is/was a bug where somtimes that "+tax" part was being ommitted on the initial activation payment.  You'd make a $100 payment and only $100 is charged to your account.  But then on your subsequent renewals, the tax is charged, and people suddenly think they're incorrectly being overcharged--when in fact they were previously being undercharged.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is there really a bug?  I am in the same boat.  Initail activation was end of Dec (2017) for 90 days.  Payment history shows the plan amount without tax, but my CC show the amount with tax.  Could it be that the self serve portal simply does not show taxes.  it does simplify things accounting wise.  You put in 100 + tax, and the system shows 100.  Your plan is $100, it simply deducts $100 (in amounts that match each of your plan components).  

Frankly, i think it is better this way.  No need to deal with odd amounts. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@911onFire yes @ute1978 has nailed it, there was a bug that prevented taxes being collected on your initial (activation time) 90 days payment.  $135.60 is the correct amount for a province with 13% combined tax rate, and will be what you are charged from now on if you stay on the same plan.  This is normal and expected.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ute1978

@911onFire wrote:

Usually I'm charged $120 for autopay. The one time I prepaid in advance, I put down $120 on my credit card, and was billed with 13%.. but my account only shows the $120 balance.

I checked with my credit card and they said PM charged the $135.60. I look at the PM payment history, and it says billed $120. The 13% discrepancy is what throws me off.. as it hasn't shown this in the past.

How many times in the past? Have you checked your previous credit card transactions?

Wasn't there was a system glitch when the very first payment got charged without the taxes? I think I remember. So in your case it should be only the very first payment when you joined. After that every auto pay should be with taxes added.

And yes, every future payment will have taxes added to the plan costs. That's how it is supposed to be.

911onFire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Usually I'm charged $120 for autopay. The one time I prepaid in advance, I put down $120 on my credit card, and was billed with 13%.. but my account only shows the $120 balance.

I checked with my credit card and they said PM charged the $135.60. I look at the PM payment history, and it says billed $120. The 13% discrepancy is what throws me off.. as it hasn't shown this in the past.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Rewards that come into play during renewal time are not available early.  Since $120 is loaded into the account, what will happen is on renewal day, the rewards will be applied, then balance will be taken from the $120 funds on hand, leaving some funds left over for the next renewal.

ute1978

@Luddite wrote:

@ute1978 wrote:

@ute1978 wrote:

Exactly. You must have an Ontario phone number. The $120 are without tax and like with everything taxable in Canada, the taxes are added at the end.

But it is weird that your credit card on autopay was charged instead of using the balance you had in the account. If you pay with a voucher, you already paid taxes on those.

Not odd, if you make a one time payment with the credit card on record.

Oh, yes of course. My brain read "prepay" and didn't click. It thought "voucher"

@ute1978 wrote:

@ute1978 wrote:

Exactly. You must have an Ontario phone number. The $120 are without tax and like with everything taxable in Canada, the taxes are added at the end.

But it is weird that your credit card on autopay was charged instead of using the balance you had in the account. If you pay with a voucher, you already paid taxes on those.

Not odd, if you make a one time payment with the credit card on record.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ute1978

@ute1978 wrote:

ute1978

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@911onFire

The plans as stated are not including taxes. Are you located in a province where they charge 13% tax?

Need Help? Let's chat.