cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye Data..

ZenStarwalker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For 3 months in a row, while on wifi, my data will get maxed out usage. It takes a couple youtube videos them it's gone. All my data was used up by the 7th of this month and that's when I noticed. I looked around online and it seems others have had this issue as well. I've now bought 1GB extra for emergencies 2 times now then ends up not even working.. 20 minutes ago I bought 15$ 1GB data only to have it say zero balance, received no text about it or anything. Tried resetting my phone, taking my sim out and back in, turning off wifi everything, cant even access Google. I can only use the public mobile site and the forum. I'm literally wasting money and not even able to use what I pay for. I cant even use Simon bot cause it doesnt work on mobile and since I just moved I don't have wifi yet. Please help. I need this working asap and I'd like either the money ove wasted on data back or the data I've lost out on applied to my account. I've got screen shots with time stamps

Screenshot_20200718-074549_Chrome.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

ZenStarwalker

My phone indeed has a turn off background data function which I've been using the whole time

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ZenStarwalker a couple YouTube videos is about right depending how long and quality of the video is. 1gb of data isn't much... 1 YouTube video will destroy that data especially if you're watching in HD(1080p) quality. 480p is more than enough quality to watch on a small screen. even then 480p will still eat up that data quickly.

the data you just purchased doesn't say 0 balance it says you have used 0/1024. means you have 1gb of data(unused)

to add go to your settings>accounts and backup>tap on accounts and turn autosync off. this should stop your photos from being uploaded automatically.

open playstore>click the menu on the top left and tap on settings. make sure "app download preference" is "over wifi only"

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ZenStarwalker go to settings-> connections-> data usage-> mobile data usage 

See which apps maybe draining your data. If you tap on the app, you can turn off background data usage & check to make sure mobile data isn't allowed when data saver is on.

Also you can restrict some apps to Wi-Fi only. Check the apps settings. 

I had a somewhat similar situation where my wife's phone was backing up her pictures to OneDrive & it drained my data. I restricted OneDrive usage to back up photos using Wi-Fi only. Now all is good.

@ZenStarwalker 

You have the data add on registered to your account, but data is not working for some reason.  If the above suggestions are not helping, you could try to put your SIM card in another working phone to determine whether hardware setup issue versus PM service problem.  

You may want to consider changing your plan at next renewal to $40 plan for 5 GB data.  For extra $15, you will get 4GB data.  

Thanks @ZenStarwalker try resetting your network settings and restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. Stay safe. 

Reset Network Settings SAMSUNG Galaxy A70
  1. Turn on the mobile by pressing the Power button for a couple of seconds.
  2. From the home screen select Settings.
  3. In the next step choose General management.
  4. After that tap Reset and Reset Network Settings.
  5. Then select Reset Settings.
  6. Confirm the whole operation by tapping Reset.
  7. Great!

ZenStarwalker

Samsung a70. Only 2 months old. Had same issues on last phone which was iphone 10

@ZenStarwalker  , again what's the make and model of your phone?  And if you enable data can you send an mms text message.  Thanks. Stay safe. 

ZenStarwalker

Yeah I've had that off since i got the phone. Had issues with it in the past. And i have it so no apps use data at all. 

ZenStarwalker

Yeah i bet that but having to go into setting and turn it on and off on the go is accident prone whole driving

ZenStarwalker

Apparently not. I couldn't use any app or site besides selfserve public mobile

ZenStarwalker

I know. It's when I go to any website its says zero balance

check your phone settings for WIFI+.

TURN IT OFF.

Wifi + automatically connects to data when a wifi signal is weak or spotty. So maybe while watching YouTube videos something happened with your wifi and your phone automatically switched to data for a better signal and you didn't notice.

Screenshot_20200718_082408.jpg

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ZenStarwalker Your add on data doesn't say zero balance it says you have used zero MB of the 1024MB you just bought.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ZenStarwalker ,

Sorry to hear this. There must be something using it up in the back ground. Apps can and do use data in the background. 

When in WIFI, disable your DATA. This will solve much of the usage likely.

Some smart phones and apps are set up to use your DATA, even through WIFI, so toggling you DATA to off should help with this.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@ZenStarwalker 

As Public site is working, your data is working. You can't use this site without data or wifi.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ZenStarwalker have you checked your phone to which app may be the culprit?  When streaming Utube, lower the resolution to save data. Turn off wifi assist.  Set all your apps to download only on wifi. What's the make and model of your phone? Thanks. If you could never access the net it may be your APN settings. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.