cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account skimming

janco
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I have been contacted by someone in an (official) capacity from public mobile. They want.

my full name, my address, my phone number, my Date of birth, and my PIN number. Public mobile already has all of this information except my PIN. Can anyone fill me in on what might be going on.

14 REPLIES 14

@Anonymous 

I got nothing.....not even a oops I'm sorry thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oo Oo Me too. I even got a little extra in my stocking when I brought it to their attention. That was very nice of them. It wasn't asked for. So no guarantees for anybody else.

You got a bribe? All I ever got was thank-you-please-fill-out-this-survey.

Although to be fair, I am probably one of the kids on the "naughty" list, haha.

Seems that misdirected msgs from the Mods aren't so "rare" after all. But when in doubt just volunteer nothing, change your password, and manually create a new msg to the Mods with full copypasta of the original text to confirm whether what you received was legit.

Speaking of auto-correct... 🙂

It wasn't a bribe. It was a thank you. Like I said...no guarantees. I probably shouldn't've said anything.

@Anonymous wrote:

Oo Oo Me too. I even got a little extra in my stocking when I brought it to their attention. That was very nice of them. It wasn't asked for. So no guarantees for anybody else.

You got a bribe? All I ever got was thank-you-please-fill-out-this-survey.

Although to be fair, I am probably one of the kids on the "naughty" list, haha.

Seems that misdirected msgs from the Mods aren't so "rare" after all. But when in doubt just volunteer nothing, change your password, and manually create a new msg to the Mods with full copypasta of the original text asking them to confirm whether what you received was legit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

If you didn't ask for account assistance, it might not be a case of fraud, but instead, a rare case of a moderator's message being sent to the wrong member.

Not as rare as you might think. Or so I think you might think.

I've gotten private msgs from Mods which were intended for other people. Several times. It happens.

I was trying to be nice about about when it comes to the moderators. It's a mistake and clearly not intentional, although I'm sure that the person who should have been contacted would not be impressed, especially if information about the account was shared in the message by the moderator.  I too, have received a bunch of private messages from moderators that shouldn't have been sent to me.

@computergeek541 wrote:

If you didn't ask for account assistance, it might not be a case of fraud, but instead, a rare case of a moderator's message being sent to the wrong member.

Not as rare as you might think. Or so I think you might think.

I've gotten private msgs from Mods which were intended for other people. Several times. It happens.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@janco wrote:

I have been contacted by someone in an (official) capacity from public mobile. They want.

my full name, my address, my phone number, my Date of birth, and my PIN number. Public mobile already has all of this information except my PIN. Can anyone fill me in on what might be going on.

@janco  If you did not submit a ticket then just reply notifying the Moderator Team that they send the message to the wrong recipient.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@janco 

If you have asked for assistance or opened a ticket through the BOT then this is normal. But normally you only need to provide a few of those things not all of those things.

So for example you may need to provide only your PIN, but. not your PIN and your address. They want to verify that it is you. 

Now, this is under the complete assumption that you have requested account assistance, if you have not, just reply back and say that they may have contacted the wrong person. 

Have a. wonderful day! 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Never give out personal info if your unsure if the person asking is legit. If you did not request help, i would not give out that info. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It's possible to get the message intended for somebody else

If it's private message from somebody with MOD following their name please respond with the massage that it went to wrong person (somebody opened a ticket and it will be closed if no response is received for 24 hours)

If it's from somebody else, click on report button and repost them. 

If it's sms or email or some other mode of communication just ignore/block

@janco 

If reached by the moderator team thru your private messages after you have either submitted a ticket via Simon or sent them a private message asking for help it is likely them but if you have any doubts ask them to send you a verification link instead. Btw...pm does have your pin #. If you don't know your pin # they will then ask you all those questions to verify your identity. If you did not submit a service request at all I would report the message as suspicious.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@janco 

Is it a private message from Moderator_Team?  That is Public Mobile. 

If it's e-mail, phone call, or text, ignore it because it isn't.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@janco wrote:

Have you contacted the moderators previously as this is how they can ask for account verification?  How did this person reach out to contact you?  As there is no credit check or ID check anyone can put in any name address, birthdate, or other information so they will be asking to see if what you provide is the same as what is on the account.  If you feel this is not an actual representative of Public Mobile, click on the "?" in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and raise a trouble ticket to try and clear things up.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.