cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing Text - Too Long = Counts as 3 Separate Texts

Doonerz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is partially an information and a question community post.

After reviewing my usage tab under the Self Serve section of the website, I noticed that I had 3 separate outgoing text being sent at exactly the same time.

My best guess is that I sent a text that was so long (probably 3 times over the word count that constitutes a single text maximum length). 

Just to remind that I only sent one (long) text.

18 REPLIES 18

Doonerz

This is not a Pay as you go plan. This is a Pay  Before 30 day/monthly plan which includes 50 outgoing text & 50 minutes. Pay as you go is considered paying for every minute & every text from whatever your Prepaid Balance is. Most major Cell Phone companies in Canada got rid of pay as you go, however its still available and the rate of 40 to 50cents a minute for local calls and 25 to 35c for incoming and outgoing text. 

Oops sorry - wrong term (my sister is still on Speakout and uses the Pay as You Go so got confused). Thanks for the clarification!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Doonerz wrote:

Now to keep my texts below 153 characters!!

@Doonerz welcome (back) to 1997, when everyone had to count characters to make sure they didn't run out of messages.  Oh, bother. 

For free cell service....I can count. 🙂 My antique BB OS10 shows me the character count too. So no actual counting needed.

@Anonymous as long as it meets your needs, that's all that matters I suppose!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Doonerz wrote:

@Doonerz welcome (back) to 1997, when everyone had to count characters to make sure they didn't run out of messages.  Oh, bother. 

For free cell service....I can count. 🙂 My antique BB OS10 shows me the character count too. So no actual counting needed.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Doonerz wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kav2001c wrote:

@Anonymous

Nope

160 characters is theoretical maximum

Try sending a 160 character message and it WILL be split as well

You forgot that the UDH (user data header) takes some space to re-link the long messages

Message length maybe 160 but maximum you can actually type is 153

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Doonerz wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Doonerz wrote:

After reviewing my usage tab under the Self Serve section of the website, I noticed that I had 3 separate outgoing text being sent at exactly the same time.

My best guess is that I sent a text that was so long (probably 3 times over the word count that constitutes a single text maximum length). 

If you are on the $10/50min/50text plan and have a habit of writing long texts (yes, I can relate to the later...), consider getting either the 200MB or 1GB data add-ons and switching the majority of your text conversations to an internet based messaging app like WhatsApp, FB messenger etc (which would also work if you are on WiFi).

The data add-on can be excellent value because will carry over to the next billing cycle until it's all used up. Just make sure that your phone and app settings are not enabling excessive data use (turn WiFi assist off, no updates over data, background data off etc...)

Thanks for the ideas wetcoaster! First time on a pay-as-you-go plan. With all the easy wifi access points available, these suggestions should work!

This is not a Pay as you go plan. This is a Pay  Before 30 day/monthly plan which includes 50 outgoing text & 50 minutes. Pay as you go is considered paying for every minute & every text from whatever your Prepaid Balance is. Most major Cell Phone companies in Canada got rid of pay as you go, however its still available and the rate of 40 to 50cents a minute for local calls and 25 to 35c for incoming and outgoing text. 

Doonerz

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Doonerz wrote:

If you are on the $10/50min/50text plan and have a habit of writing long texts (yes, I can relate to the later...), consider getting either the 200MB or 1GB data add-ons and switching the majority of your text conversations to an internet based messaging app like WhatsApp, FB messenger etc (which would also work if you are on WiFi).

The data add-on can be excellent value because will carry over to the next billing cycle until it's all used up. Just make sure that your phone and app settings are not enabling excessive data use (turn WiFi assist off, no updates over data, background data off etc...)

Thanks for the ideas wetcoaster! First time on a pay-as-you-go plan. With all the easy wifi access points available, these suggestions should work!

Doonerz

@dna2016 wrote:

@Doonerz, only 4 of PMs plans have limited or no text option at all, and they are the $10 plan, the $20 voice only, $20 data only, and the $30 data only.  If you don't have any of those plans, then don't worry about how long your text message is, all other plans have unlimited outgoing texts.

But in general, as @Anonymous mentioned, the standard character limit per text is 160 characters, anything over that then your message will be sent in parts.  However if you have the $10 plan and you sent a long text that was broken into 3 separate text messages, from a system standpoint it is 3 separate text messages, and your outgoing text count would reduce by 3.  Even if on your phone it looks like 1 long one, you can't tell the communications company that it was just one long one and should count as one.  Unfortunately there is a limit, and whether you knew about the limit or not, there won't be any type of exception made.  Once you go over 160 characters then unfortunately it'll be separated into an additional outgoing text.  This is universal across all communications companies.

Great explanation! I guess I never paid much attention before migrating to Public Mobile since I (and I assume most of us) had an unlimited talk/text plan.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Doonerz wrote:

@Anonymous

Nope

160 characters is theoretical maximum

Try sending a 160 character message and it WILL be split as well

You forgot that the UDH (user data header) takes some space to re-link the long messages

Message length maybe 160 but maximum you can actually type is 153

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I forgot to mention make sure your Apple ID is updated with your new phone number because this contributes to that number 474663 And then reboot your a couple of times

For me it was @RossN 30 texts out from my 50 account...the mods credit them to my account after I send to them a message..

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Hi I just joined last month and I had the same issues you are having with the iPhone and the text if you get in contact with the moderators they will take care of the issue and reimburse you for some of the text that you have sent that were doubled or tripled every time I sent one even if it was 20 or 30 characters it was doubled or tripled They had to send the issue to their techs to get it resolved so it’s best if you do contact the mods because your issue will probably not go away if you have a new number  that 474663 number will Probably show up I half a dozen times 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Doonerz, only 4 of PMs plans have limited or no text option at all, and they are the $10 plan, the $20 voice only, $20 data only, and the $30 data only.  If you don't have any of those plans, then don't worry about how long your text message is, all other plans have unlimited outgoing texts.

But in general, as @Anonymous mentioned, the standard character limit per text is 160 characters, anything over that then your message will be sent in parts.  However if you have the $10 plan and you sent a long text that was broken into 3 separate text messages, from a system standpoint it is 3 separate text messages, and your outgoing text count would reduce by 3.  Even if on your phone it looks like 1 long one, you can't tell the communications company that it was just one long one and should count as one.  Unfortunately there is a limit, and whether you knew about the limit or not, there won't be any type of exception made.  Once you go over 160 characters then unfortunately it'll be separated into an additional outgoing text.  This is universal across all communications companies.

Doonerz

@Lieux wrote:

Do you have an iphone @Doonerz and the number is 474663? Or yes it can be too long message...

Yes - iPhone and I did get that number. I read that iMessage is famous for sending a plethora of texts shortly after activating - thus another reason for my increased text numbers early on.

I love this community - such great detailed answers!!

Doonerz

@Anonymous wrote:

@Doonerz

All texts are 160 characters. Both ends split what's typed for sending then re-assemble upon receipt. What you've found is exactly correct.

It really only matters for the $10 plan folks.

Not sure where the question was though 🙂

Thanks for the reply! You were correct about the question though 🙂 I actually had 4 outgoing texts on another long text - guess I have to reduce my message lengths. 

Yes, I am on the $10 plan - I should have added that to my original post!

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Do you have an iphone @Doonerz and the number is 474663? Or yes it can be too long message...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doonerz

All texts are 160 characters. Both ends split what's typed for sending then re-assemble upon receipt. What you've found is exactly correct.

It really only matters for the $10 plan folks.

Not sure where the question was though 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.