cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15/month plan no longer has unlimited incoming minutes?

Xue1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I've had the $15/month plan for about 6 years now. (edit: I've been with Public Mobile for 6 years on this plan, and I started with the $10/month plan that is now gone. I swapped to the $15/month plan to take advantage of the minutes and texting.) Today I received a message saying that I'm about to run out of minutes (edit: about to run out of minutes on my add-on).

I logged into the PM account management, and I am out of minutes on my account and I have also used up every single minute add-on. (edit: Almost, about 90% of) All my calls were incoming from someone in the same city as me. 

I tried looking it up on these forums, but everyone else said that their plans were still working (up until the recent post in June 2023), and that it was a graphical error on their side. But I feel like I really don't have any minutes or add-ons anymore. I also double checked my "usage history" and it really is all incoming calls from the same number. (It's a 587 area code number from Alberta if it matters.)

Did the plan actually change or is it just me?

EDIT 3:

-I have confirmed that incoming calls reduces my minutes

pica7.PNG

(Above) I made an incoming call with a duration of 38 seconds. It is my only usage for this day

pica6.PNG

(Above) My plan minutes usage has increased by 1 minute. (CS_Agent had made an adjustment to my account and added 95 minutes to test with.)

-For what it's worth, CS_Agent has confirmed that I have unlimited incoming minutes, and that I have not used my monthly 100 minutes (yet they were still reduced?). 

-CS_Agent claims my add-ons were depleted because of outgoing calls (yet I didn't use my 100 monthly minutes, but somehow I used my add-ons?) 

EDIT 2:

-No it's not my voicemail
-I am sure that I have no more minutes
-I have refreshed the PM account page
-100% guarantee these people are in my City that I'm getting calls to/from. It's all family.
-I had add-ons from all the winter giveaways every year until now, and they were not used. +500 minute plan I bought at the beginning for "just incase" I needed it at times
-I had checked in the past month (? hesitant on this one, but at least the past few months) and there were still thousands of minutes.

EDIT 1:

1) I went ahead and Downloaded my Usage history. My plan goes from the 24th to 24th, but I started at the 23rd to even give it one more day.

2) I filtered the data to hide Incoming/Outgoing Texts, Data since these are irrelevant. We are only looking at incoming/outgoing calls.

3) I split the times into columns delimited by the colon in Excel. So 1:23:22 (1 hour, 23 mins, 22s) becomes 1, 23, 22 (csv)

4) I rounded all the seconds up to 60, assuming that seconds don't matter and it'll go straight to the next minute up.

5) I added hours, minutes, and seconds separately. I also kept incoming/outgoing separate.

6) We observe that I have less than 100 outgoing minutes, but my monthly minutes are expended. (Even though we are adding an additional day-- 23rd)

Below are the photos of the above edit, with captions

pic1.PNG

 (Above) Monthly minutes used up, 100. No visible voice add-ons.

pic2.PNG

(Above) a portion of the split data is shown for incoming. Top right shows the summation.

pic3.PNG

 (Above) A portion of the outgoing calls to get a sample of what they look like. Note that the darker column is the rounded "seconds" because I wanted to add them as minutes.

54 REPLIES 54

I get that it's seemingly working as it should but it just doesn't seem right. See if they get back to you again after your recent inquiry.

Xue1

I have not been contacted by support for a follow-up after the 24-72h period. I've sent a message to inquire but I thought it would pretty much end there. So far everything seems to be working as expected on the "new" plan-- there have been no changes on the front-end (still can't see texting, etc)

That's the end of the story unless something changes! 🙂 Thank you everyone for taking precious time out of your day to read/reply

So that's reasonably decent of them. They gave you 2x 500 minute add-ons. Not the gifted international ones that the system ate, but decent.
There won't be any secret charges. That is not a thing here. Just people replying yes to offers that get charged on the registered card that I think is all kinds of wrong but that's a whole other topic.

I wonder if you could go back to support and maybe they can just remove everything about whatever plan it thinks is there (not add-ons) and re-build the proper $15 plan into your account. I don't know.

Xue1

Haha I did think of that too, but I did check it as well. (It's just really hard to get the screenshot since the minutes are at the bottom of the right column where the addons are under the data addons and the left column is so short)

So it's been a few hours, nothing has changed about the text bar. It's still missing. But here's the minutes add-on (I bought the 500 minutes and they just edited it to add 500 to that. So it looks funny there too)

pice1.png

 (Above) Showing minutes addon and current minutes in account, both still currently at 0. There's a timestamp too, but it will be Alberta time. Screenshot has such an awkward place because I tried to get both the left side minutes and right side minutes to show in the same picture and my screen is only this tall. (I guess I could zoom out)

pice2.png

 (Above) It's the same photo as the previous one, but I zoomed out just so we can see all the stuff at once

I actually believe you that there's something still messed up, since all the things you have pointed out are indeed weird and don't make any sense. (Plus I have another account that looks just like Grinch's) I'm not 100% convinced about the "seeing another plan" either, because my other account can also see the other plan. (Account2 was changed to the $15/month plan in either December 2021 or January 2022. I know this for a fact, so this cannot be a super outdated plan.)

However, it does feel like the current plan is at least working as intended (??? Watch me be getting charged for texts somewhere secretly. I should've tested out the 1mil texts or whatever it was.)

CS_Agent told me that they escalated my ticket, and gave me a reference number, and that the replies are usually between 24-72H. If they can give me a straight answer -- I will probably change the solution to this post.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Wouldn't it be fun if the 500 minutes they gave you now says 499.
I still don't like the lack of the texting bar like Grinch and your other account on your now newly changed plan. My $15 plan also has that bar. I think you should have the same. Something's still not right. I'm also not convinced that seeing ones plan in change plan means it's a different plan. It does suggest that we can "change" to ones plan which is used as the early renewal method when needed.
This is a family site where using street language is not welcome. So "messed up" it is.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Xue1 wrote:

🙈Sadly nothing would be an issue if they would just show all the offerings of the plan on the account page, liked they used to. I don't know why they deciding that hiding stuff and making it super unclear was the best way to go.

There are many quirks to Public Mobile that are not officially published, but the "tribal knowledge" on these forums can help enlighten. 🙂

ie: Outgoing calls to toll free numbers don't consume minutes. To the point where there was even a past topic to collect all the quirks for a single reference point too: 😆https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Bugs-quirks/m-p/545887#M42286

Xue1

Yeah, I chose to switch immediately because it was just a few days and I wanted to know 🙂 So those pictures are definitely from the updated "new plan"

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Re: the current state of your account in the self-serve portal - When you schedule the plan change (unless you chose to switch immediately) I would disregard any of the confusing state, and just check again how it looks once your plan renews to the new plan...

Xue1

🙈Sadly nothing would be an issue if they would just show all the offerings of the plan on the account page, liked they used to. I don't know why they deciding that hiding stuff and making it super unclear was the best way to go.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Xue1 wrote:

Thanks for following up with my post Nezgar! I picked this one as a solution because all your posts were valuable, but this one is probably the most "informative" should there be someone else in this world who needs this solution or idea.

You're welcome, and thank-you!

The idea of the old $15 plan triggered in my memory because I recall the change to the plan offerings shortly before I signed up, back in October 2019. At the time when that plan began to offer unlimited incoming minutes, that was the final straw that got me to jump to Public Mobile from Rogers. But like most plans even at most other mobile providers, people are never automatically migrated to new plans, and are grandfathered to their old plans and it's up to the customer to check for and switch to better plans when they become available...

Cheers! 🤜🤛

Xue1

Actually, I went to check my other account (account2)-- and it shows the same plan as the account with the problem (account1). I also checked the subscription and I can see that I can still select a different $15 plan, which means I'm also on a different $15/plan

However, the text display is different for the text messages.

Still not sure if my account was just messed up or it was actually my plan, and not sure if by switching my plan I destroyed all the evidence, haha.

picd1.png

(Above) A different account with the $15/month plan, but the wording on the text messages looks different. The subscription looks the same as the account with problems though

picd2.png

 (Above) Screenshot showing that I can click a different $15 plan

Just tagging @Nezgar because I guess life is weird. But hey! If the "new plan" works that's fine too, but I guess there's no guarantee that I wasn't bugged.

Xue1

Hey @dust2dust @Nezgar 

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Tagging dust2dust because I just wanted to show you that my account is even weirder now lol. 

CS_Agent:
-Nothing new here

I went ahead and followed Nezgar's suggestion and "swapped" plans. (From $15 -> $15). I swapped right away instead of waiting for October 24, so we can see everything reflected immediately (?)

picb1.png

(Above) This is my account now. There's no texting listed though, hahaha so it still doesn't look like Grinch's screenshot

-So I went ahead and tried receiving an incoming call (<1min).

-I also texted myself to see if the text thing will show up.

-Then I spammed the refresh icon to see if anything would change. (I clicked it at least 10x, I even clicked a different page, came back and clicked it again.)

picb2.PNG

 (Above) My "Usage" with a new incoming call of 44 seconds, and 1 incoming text message. That's all for today besides the test incoming call earlier

picb3.png

 (Above) After refreshing a lot, it seems like my minutes don't get used (?) but my texts also don't show up so it is what it is

I also went ahead to check on a different browser while writing this post. (So it's been a few minutes, etc)

picb4.png

(Above) Screenshot of two different browsers but both displaying same information. So surely it was updated... right?

Thank you both for replying and keeping up with me until now!

Xue1

Thanks for following up with my post Nezgar! I picked this one as a solution because all your posts were valuable, but this one is probably the most "informative" should there be someone else in this world who needs this solution or idea.

Xue1

🙈  I love the holiday bonuses "tradition". It was rough trying to show off my voice add-ons because of all the data add-ons though, lol. 

I think I just received a final reply from CS_Agent, after I told them that I have confirmed that incoming minutes indeed reduce my minutes, so I don't believe that minutes were reduced because of outgoing calls. I was offered a $5 voice add-on pack as compensation and as for the rest of the story-- it will be forwarded to tech. But at this point I don't think that I'll get a follow-up reply, so I'll be marking your reply as probably the solution! (I have to go pick one though)

Xue1

Hehehe, idk why it just gives a laugh when you describe my account like that.

But if it matters I've been using web browsers (no app, I saw there was beta testing for one but I hate apps). I've checked on both browser and phone-- and I actually haven't logged into the other accounts in awhile. (I don't think I've logged into my main account since the interface change. Yeah I know it's probably not the best idea since it's good to keep an eye on things, but it is how I ended up here), so I don't think there will be any caching issues. 

Admittedly after this, I will have to go check all the other accounts and see where they're at. (They were moved to different plans at different times in life. This should be the first account that swapped to the $15 plan though, so this is my oldest $15 plan.) 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

If Public Mobile keeps up with the holiday bonuses "tradition" they've done in the last few years, you can hope for another free pack of minutes this December as well. And going forward with your updated plan, you will use them less than before if they are only needed for outgoing minutes. 🙂

Xue1

I would like to believe that I'm being pretty chill, but with text you never know how it appears  🙈 (Minutes are kind of cheap and besides the first pack I didn't really pay for the others, though they were just nice to have, so it's no stress. I didn't actually think I'd use the minutes anyways.)

At the moment I'm being offered about $2 worth of minutes! 

Thanks for keeping up with the post-- if nothing else changes I'll probably mark one of your answers as the accepted solution.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Your account stuff still looks messed up.

On another note, if you're managing multiple accounts using the app then you might find cross-account misinformation. You might need to clear cache etc.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Xue1 wrote:

They have confirmed that I haven't used my minutes, and that I should have unlimited incoming calls. But they also claimed that my add-ons were rightfully used by outgoing calls (but is this really possible if I don't even use 100 minutes--since it should use the monthly first, and supposedly they ran out last night, and on top of that I have confirmed that incoming calls reduce minutes.)

Since you have now confirmed that the $15 plan you are currently on is an old  grandfathered version plan, and not the currently offered one since you see the option to switch to another $15 plan in your self serve portal, It is safe to assume you have the old version of the $15 plan that didn't include unlimited incoming minutes.

If the CS_Agent gives you any kind of compensation at this point that is completely at their discretion if they figure this out too. Be nice and good luck!

Xue1

Hey LitlLdy,

No problem! I actually didn't mention it anywhere (I think), because I believed that it wasn't relevant since I had all the data and control, it's in my name, and I thought it would be simpler to explain the story 🙂 

Thanks again for your reply

@Xue1 wrote:

Hey LitlLdy, thank you for the reply and suggestion!

I totally agree that you're probably correct and apps/voip are great for getting around minutes. However, these phones (although purchased, and paid for by me, and managed by me) are actually for elderly, non-english speaking family. So the addition of other apps really confuses them, especially when those apps go through UI changes or there are lots of login information. 

I appreciate the suggestion though! I'm trying to keep it as native and simple as possible

@Xue1 , I am so sorry, I didn’t see where you said that anywhere! I was no help at all! 😆

I could feel your frustration & I didn’t want to suggest what others already did.

Yes, I agree with what you said now that I know the reason why that app wouldn’t be a benefit since it is not for you but for elderly that would struggle with it.

Xue1

Hey golfball,

Thank you for the reply and your confirmed suspicions as well!

I'm still chatting with CS_Agent at the moment. I am skeptical, we can say, lol.

They have confirmed that I haven't used my minutes, and that I should have unlimited incoming calls. But they also claimed that my add-ons were rightfully used by outgoing calls (but is this really possible if I don't even use 100 minutes--since it should use the monthly first, and supposedly they ran out last night, and on top of that I have confirmed that incoming calls reduce minutes.)

Xue1

Hey LitlLdy, thank you for the reply and suggestion!

I totally agree that you're probably correct and apps/voip are great for getting around minutes. However, these phones (although purchased, and paid for by me, and managed by me) are actually for elderly, non-english speaking family. So the addition of other apps really confuses them, especially when those apps go through UI changes or there are lots of login information. 

I appreciate the suggestion though! I'm trying to keep it as native and simple as possible

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It does seem that your issue is that you're on an outdated version of the $15 plan otherwise it wouldn't show as available to switch to. Hopefully CS can help you out.

@Xue1 , for future reference if you need a way to make or receive calls & can’t using your Public Mobile plan or want to make outgoing calls, download the TextNow app for making & receiving calls for free. I am on the Public Mobile $15 plan & use the TextNow app (on Wi-Fi) when I need it. It saves me a lot of money. I chose a local phone number on it. It’s just a suggestion to help out when needed if you want.

Xue1

I called myself after I sent you those screenshots and I did lose a minute. So yeah my incoming calls are definitely without a doubt, counted as minutes.

pica4.png

 (Above) Screenshot showing usage, refreshed after an incoming call was received (Total 38 seconds call was received)

Xue1

Dang I thought something changed because my screenshot looks different now that I added minutes, but I also received a reply from CS_Agent (am I allowed to share private messages here?)

pica1.png

 (Above) Unmodified full-screenshot showing my new minute add-ons and my current minute usage. However, upon further investigation-- the CS Agent manually adjusted my minutes so that I could test calling and see if it works.

However, following your suggestion I went into the subscriptions tab. There is indeed a $15 plan at the bottom, and my wording is different from yours. (I am not going to change my plan at this very second just in case it's better for the CS_Agent to review)

pica2.png

 (Above) Full-screenshot showing the wording of the "current plan" on the subscriptions page

pica3.PNG

 (Above) Photo of what the "new plan" looks like if I click on it. Screenshot is minimized because I'm not interested in showing off my payment methods to the world, lol

Xue1

Sorry I haven't tried it yet. I was just looking things up to see if there was any indication that PM removing the wording of unlimited incoming on the $15 plan actually reflected it for new subscriptions. I did purchase the $5 addon for minutes though.

I'll likely check on desktop instead of mobile in a few minutes here. But thank you for your timely reply! I'll let you know in a bit

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Xue1- One additional thought to confirm if you have an old version of the $15 plan... When you go into your account to change your plan, if it shows a $15 plan as an option to select in the options below, that would further confirm that the $15 plan you are on now is different than the one currently offered.

When I go into my account right now, I do not see a $15 plan listed in the options to switch to. Also you can compare the exact wording of your plan against mine, which I "switched to" last month, September 2023:

$15 Plan description as of Oct 2023$15 Plan description as of Oct 2023

Xue1

You can download each page.... Manually, lol. I had to download mine in parts, and then I filtered it on Excel. The download button is for the current page, and I think it works because the dates were different 

Thank you for checking! I do have multiple phones on the $15 plan and I didn't check the others because I wasn't sure how to guarantee it (I know now)

Need Help? Let's chat.