cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus Nord OnePlus Nord N300 (5G) Android - Updated To Android 13 - Can't 5G

cprince
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OnePlus Nord OnePlus Nord N300 (5G) Android - Updated To Android 13 - Can't 5G

I'm certainly in the coverage area. The phone is supposed to be a 5g. I just got a 5g plan.

It's not even an option in my carriers options. 4g only. I've put it in airplane mode, stood on my head and recited the Santaria hand book... 

Any ideas?

(Incidentally, this board software makes me want to go outside and punch cars in the grill! A billion reasons why I can't post show up each time I hit "post" and I correct them, THEN it says I am post flooding!!! I have to wait 3600 seconds! I'm going to go chew some tin foil and come back and see if I counted 3600 steamboats correctly.)

31 REPLIES 31

@cprince 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

*customer support doesn't always respond promptly. please be patient and check your inbox every few hours to see if there is a response

CSA are available from
- Monday to Friday: 6AM- 10PM EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 6AM- 10PM EST  

the last screenshot you posted are normal speeds with a very saturated cell phone tower.

while you wait for customer support to respond you reset your network settings. to reset the network settings you will need to Google your device, however it should be similar to pixels settings

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

hi @cprince 

any phone from friends to test? would be good to test the sim and your account 

cprince

I only have 3g old phones.

cprince

How do you engage customer service to do this?

hi @cprince the numbers you shoe fors not look right.  Did you try your sim on another phone and test speed??

@cprince 

did customer support reset the network? 

cprince

Speed still sucks. I'm literally next to the tower and this is what I get.

Screenshot_2023-10-07-13-20-16-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

@cprince  "These OnePlus Nord models get 5G on Bell and Rogers. "

Are you sure, if so it seems to have changed fairly recently?   This post is from earlier this year  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Android/One-Plus-5G-Access/td-p/504069 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@cprince 

what it's saying is that your sim is provisioned for 5g but the device is not. I wouldn't worry about 5g so much. I would focus more on your data monthly data consumption and purchase a plan around that. 5g is just for speed. I still have access to the 5g network even on a 4g plan. if in the future you really want 5g speeds or more data then I would look into purchasing a Canadian device

cprince

I did do that *# hokey pokey and it got me nowhere. It did suddenly show I'd prefer 5g but it's still not an option in the carrier section nor were mtpy speeds ay better than a leptics ability to think.

@cprince 

https://community.oneplus.com/thread/1309681

if you would like Canadian features it looks like Canada wants one to purchase devices from Canada. 

cprince

The phone was a t-mobile but identifies as being unlocked.

@cprince 

it is actually normal for phones not sold to North America, or Canada to be specific, to not have all the features working

You have any friends with Telus and Koodo sim? try in your phone.

And what is your top speed on LTE network? do  speed tests in different area and let us know 

@cprince 

that's just the way it is at PM... it's most likely to keep the costs down. Telus and bell etc have higher support lists, but they don't support all devices. 

as for your slow LTE that's most likely a provision issue and you can contact customer support to reset the network on their side. you should be hitting 100+ easy even on LTE

cprince

So... Blackberry or no 5G for anyone on PMobile? Doesn't make any sense. These OnePlus Nord models get 5G on Bell and Rogers. 

@cprince 

the issue with using non Canadian devices in Canada is that not all features will be available. there are certificates on the software side that allows these options to be unlocked

@cprince   Sounds like it is not VoLTE if it drops to 3g.  Where did the phone come from?  I found this on the Digitaltrends website although dated a year ago  "The OnePlus Nord N300 5G is only available through T-Mobile and Metro. Unfortunately, you can’t buy it unlocked, and it’s only available in the U.S. with no plans to make it available in other markets.".  I saw a few other complaints in Google results about it's not getting 5g with other carriers.

cprince

It drops to HSPA and 3g when I make a call.

cprince

Screenshot_2023-10-06-22-32-00-11_426a5588c5110cd01d5af17e47adb223.jpg

cprince

It succeeded in showing a number and letter that says 5G in one sport in doing all that... but I'm not connected to 5G ... the speeds are worse 

Screenshot_2023-10-06-22-31-27-27_426a5588c5110cd01d5af17e47adb223.jpg

@cprince 

5G was never an option there??

Sometimes the 5G option is hidden for some reason, maybe an OS issue, maybe the provider.  But as far as I know, PM does not actively hide the 5G option as long as there is 5G in the area. 

If you don't mind to try , try using app to unhide the 5G option.   Download an app call NetMonitor.  After installed, click the 3 dots on the bottom right, then click Service Menu and check it from LTE Only to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA.  

cprince

Screenshot_2023-10-06-21-58-39-48_426a5588c5110cd01d5af17e47adb223.jpg

 these are the options when not in auto ( it never was)

If you can go into your network settings, turn off automatic if you can and pick Public Mobile as your source. Then reboot. Then try another speed test.

cprince

Screenshot_2023-10-06-21-09-58-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

cprince

Just as crappy as I was before "upgrading" my phone and plan.

@will13am wrote:

I bought a S20 FE 5G phone from Public Mobile and it does not have 5G access.

That part is interesting because Public Moible advertised it as a 5G device and they actually sold it.  This is actually something that Telus and/or Samsung had done to the devcie's software so that 5G doesn't work whenever a Public Mobile SIM card is inserrted.  As to why they would go to those lengths make no sense.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cprince , I would recommend against trying things like resetting the network or factory resets.  It will lead to more aggravation and zero resolution to the problem.  Fact is this service whitelists hardware that can access VoLTE and 5G.  I bought a S20 FE 5G phone from Public Mobile and it does not have 5G access.  That gives you an idea of how nonsensical the whitelist can be.  For me the only workaround is to install alternate software which ain't gonna happen.  TBH, I would not be too concerned about 5G network access.  The current 5G network is in the NSA (non standalone) state which really means that its is running on the 4G/LTE infrastructure for the most part.  4G/LTE network is plenty capable of handling even the so called 5G speed plans.  The one thing that you should be much more concerned about is the ability to access VoLTE.  This feature greatly improves calling capabilities particularly when roaming in the US where the 3G network has been shut down permanently.  To test whether your phone is whitelisted for VoLTE disable WiFi, make a call and see if the phone remains on a 4G/LTE connection.  If the network connection drops to 3G then your phone is not getting VoLTE access.

Just be careful resetting "All your networks" as people who recommend that don't always realize that some people have a ton of WiFi setups and passwords for a lot of different locations saved. 

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/oneplus/oneplus-nord/reset-network-settings/

Looking at how to do so on your phone, I wouldn't recommend it if you have a lot of WiFi's saved. You'll lose it all. I'm not android expert but you may wish to search Google

If you only see 4G, try doing a speed test and see how fast you're getting. If it's 200mbps or more, you have 5G speeds, it just shows you're on 4G. Let us know your speeds.

cprince

I will also add that I've been a client for about 7 years and this SIM is about 2 years old. I had it in a 3g phone up and until 3 weeks ago 

cprince

What do you mean by "reset networks"? That purgatorial hell of entering in the carriers manually? It has never been connected to 5g and 5g isn't an option.

image000000.jpg.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.