cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK, what’s the best way to get new plans for existing customers?

Pvkom26
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I really need the US-Canada $34 plan. Was considering moving to Freedom Mobile over it but their coverage is still quite bad, unfortunately. 

My situation is as follows: I have the previous $34 plan that only works in Canada. I would love to keep the phone number, but I don’t know if that’s possible. Would something like moving to another carrier for one month and then transferring the phone number back to Public Mobile work? 

I also have some referrals on this account and get something like 1.5 points every month. I wonder if that bonus would be gone?

Of course, there is always an alternative of simply getting a new phone number, and that’s probably the easiest option, unfortunately. Really sucks that Public Mobile treats their existing customers so disrespectfully… 

Are there any other solutions I’m missing here? thanks a lot

15 REPLIES 15

Pvkom26

I talked to some guy named Dereck, if I remember his name correctly. He said that they cannot do anything on their end when it comes to the $34/50Gb Canada-US plan. You think he lied? What would be the best strategy in this case? Thanks 

Wellersbayview

Be polite and persistent and prepared to sacrifice whatever balance you have pre-paid. Small miracles happen. 

jrgolf3232

That's what I did from the $50 one and will switch again when available.

Pvkom26

Just talked to Freedom Mobile - it’s a bit more complicated that it seems. 

they are charging activation fee of $45 and then they charge $10 for SIM (even eSIM). 

I don’t have enough confidence in their coverage (even though the nice lady on the phone was trying to assure me that it’s way better since the last time I was with them) to justify spending $55 in fees. 

Pvkom26

Hmm, you’re right. I heard of Freedom Mobile’s plan but never seriously considered it because their coverage in the past was awful. They did expand their network recently, so there could be some changes. 

I think I might do that. Will transfer my phone number to Freedom for one month and then if I don’t like it and the promo will still be available, I will switch back to Public. And if their coverage is good enough (I’ve been using them in 2017, quite a long time ago), at least I won’t have to stay at the company that hates their own customers. 

Thanks

VladeDivac
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Like an other member said, PM might offer that plan for existings customers later on. If not, Freedom has the same plan, you can port out and switch back later if you don't like them: https://shop.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plans?isByopPlanFirstFlow=true

Pvkom26

Agent Erick told me they cannot do that with this specific plan, for $34. He says the best option would be to get a new phone number.

Which really  sucks! I’ve been with this phone number for 7 years. So stupid. 

Let me know if you find other solutions to this.

VladeDivac
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've shot my shot, we'll see !

Pvkom26

So, from what I’ve learned so far: 

The sure way would be cancelling subscription, deleting account, creating new account with a different email, getting the new plan. But that wouldn’t allow me to keep the previous phone number and wouldn’t allow me to keep referral points I’m getting today. 

Why does PM make things so complicated? It’s not like we cannot get new plans, it’s just that they made the process super-inconvenient. You still end up with the same number of subscribers in the end, it’s just that half of them will despise Public Mobile as a company. 

Any other solutions, guys? You can send me a DM if that’s more comfortable with you. Would really appreciate any sort of feedback on this. 

Pvkom26

So I will have to use a new email? Create a new account on this website from scratch? 

TBH, it’s still a solution worth considering in my situation. I live close to the border and have as many friends in the States as in Canada. Being able to use data from my plan without having to rely on the overpriced add-ons is something I wanted for a long time. 

Thanks for your replies

@Pvkom26 

no, all the points on the account would be gone as the new account they come back in would be new from zero again.  Yes, there is a trade off

Pvkom26

Oh, so people actually do that stuff with transferring number out and back in?!

Do you know if they can still collect their points from referrals they did in the past? I assume they are linked to the account on the website and not the phone number, so they should still be working, probably. Can you transfer the phone number before the billing cycle ends? Can you transfer it back in a couple days or something? 

And in case I decide to wait, how long do you think it will take before this exact plan becomes available for existing customers?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Pvkom26 

asking agent might or might not work.

but generally those plan will come down to us eventually. 

or course, you can activate a new account to get those plan, some people will port out and then port it back in shortly after to get the deal on a new account

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pvkom26 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Pvkom26  Best to ask support they can sometimes help . Others have confirmed getting these new activation only plans just by asking 

send  a  private message   To CS_Agents

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.