cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number registration

freespirit
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Canada in a few days (yay!) and I want to get a public mobile sim. The thing is I'll land in Toronto, stay there 2 weeks and then fly to Victoria where I'll stay a few months at least. Is it possible to get my sim in Toronto and then register it to Victoria so I can use it there upon arrival? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

@freespiritwrote:

Thanks for your generous offer!
I'll be staying in downtown Toronto with a friend of mine who lives there.
I looked on Google Maps and I think it's too far from Missisauga to be worth the effort.
It would probably cost about as much to get there and back as just buying the sim so I don't think it's worth the hassle.
Thanks again though!

Do I really need a Canadian credit card to pay?
I have an European Mastercard which should do fine.
I already ordered something on the Canadian Amazon without any issues.

Public Mobile's system is only accepting Canadian credit cards - you'll need to buy vouchers to make this work in self serve. Vouchers with a set denomination are needed for account set up, once you have your account and number you can also go for Real Time Recharge (RTR) at denominations of your choice ( up to $200, I think).

Not sure if that is an option at all, but there are more and more reports that Walmart forces customers to have accounts and SIMs activated in store. While I personally haven't tried it, so I'm not sure how it works and YMMV, in your case there is a slight chance that it could be working in your favour: If the full first payment is processed on the Walmart terminal (which should accept international MasterCards, you might not be able to use Visa) and not actually in PM's self serve...

Just speculating with this last paragraph - try it at your own risk.

freespirit
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your generous offer!
I'll be staying in downtown Toronto with a friend of mine who lives there.
I looked on Google Maps and I think it's too far from Missisauga to be worth the effort.
It would probably cost about as much to get there and back as just buying the sim so I don't think it's worth the hassle.
Thanks again though!

Do I really need a Canadian credit card to pay?
I have an European Mastercard which should do fine.
I already ordered something on the Canadian Amazon without any issues.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@freespirit, take @Luddite generous offer for a free SIM.

I would suggest that when you activate the sim in toronto, take a toronto number.

Once you are in victoria, change the number to victoria number.

If you are going to be picking up the sim from @Luddite, I am sure he can help you setup the account and also show you the option on how to change the number later on.

Thanks @Luddite

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@freespirit When you activate your SIM in Toronto just pick a number based in Victoria. Then either take a Canada wide plan, or a provincial plan plus the $15 400 min. long distance add-on.

You may also choose a Toronto number then pick a new number once you arrive in Victoria. 

If you are staying in the Mississauga area send me a private message. I too have a spare SIM you may have.

You must have one of these Canadian credit cards to pay for your plan online. If not, you will need to purchase vouchers. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-about-Payments/ta-p/22171 and

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/More-Payment-Options-Added/m-...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You can buy sims in stores like Walmart , wow mobile kiosks or k-mobile. Or order online. And shio to your address.

Walmart seems to be saying they only sell sims on activation.

If you have issues getting one, I do have a spare one in Victoria, that I would sell you for 7.

Ps make sure to pack  your rain boots for vic

Need Help? Let's chat.