cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving SMS verification text from Wealthsimple

timbochamp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to set up the Wealthsimple Cash app on my phone, and it asks for my phone number to send an SMS to verify and set up the account. I don't receive this SMS text at the same time. This is despite setting email or an authenticator app for two-factor verification which seems like a limitation on their side to then need the phone number verification too.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm skeptical that the issue is on the carrier's end for Public Mobile to allow and send the text to me, but their support team advised me to ask while they escalate to their engineering team.

16 REPLIES 16

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

You may want to consider upgrading to a TOTP (time-based one time password) based 2FA and not SMS, as it is much more secure and isn't vulnerable to network issues (it doesn't even need an internet connection) and is protected from port-out fraud, and sim swaps.

I checked and WealthSimple does indeed support authenticator apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, Microsoft Authenticator, etc:

https://help.wealthsimple.com/hc/en-ca/articles/360056584134

Edit: Wow, I just re-read your original message, and I see now that you already indicated that you're using an authentication app, but it seems to be a requirement of the setup to verify via an SMS code. Wow, that is lame!!!

timbochamp

I ended up reinstalling the app on the advice of their Support team, and that allowed me to get the SMS verification code. This seems strange and I'm wondering if anything went on behind the scenes for their team to make fixes to my account where I did receive some automated emails prior to that response prompting me to reinstall the app 

[ ...... Luddite]

Now, I am curious what kind of promotion is that  .. 

timbochamp

Area code is 506. It strikes me as unlikely that it would be a province-wide issue with the buzz of Wealthsimple (WS) Cash right now with their promo codes having lots of people install/sign up. Guessing there's some configuration problem with my account that will need a fix from WS's side. I checked Reddit and saw some similar problems with accounts being in strange states and needed to be unblocked by WS support/engineering.

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@timbochamp FYI...  I was able to receive the verification code when I set up my Wealthsimple Cash app last March.  It didn't come from a short code, but from a 647 area code number.  Maybe your issue is related to receiving texts from 647 numbers.  Or Wealthsimple has issues sending texts to your area code.  What is your area code?

timbochamp

Yeah, hopefully there's some solution on their side. It's not an urgent thing at the same time. I'm able to get verification codes from my My Service Canada Account and other platforms via SMS, so most likely their side.

@timbochamp wrote:

Their engineering team is looking and will get back to me within a couple days.

As long as you can receive/place calls and receive/send SMS your PM service is not a cause of not receiving SMS from WS.

I would ask them to verify you on some other way so you can start using WS right away. Waiting few days is not optimal solution.

If you have government account (My Service Canada Account) try to log in there as they do send SMS codes every time you log in just to confirm authentication that way is working.

timbochamp

Yep, all other calls and texts are going through - similar ones for verification codes and automated messages from other companies too. I cleared my blocked numbers and retried but still not receiving the SMS. I've had this number for over 10 years, but maybe it's flagged on their end somehow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timbochamp : And you're still receiving most other calls and texts right? Is there a possible block on the number that wealthsimple is sending on? Maybe you blocked it somewhere along the way as a spoofed number from a spammer. Or even wealthsimple before you joined them.

timbochamp

I had an existing set of credentials with Wealthsimple Tax - don't have Trade set up.

I think there's likely some issue with my account through them where I didn't see any related forum posts on here. Their engineering team is looking and will get back to me within a couple days.

Then it looks cell to cell.

Did you try to sign up with WS Trade (even if you do not need it right now)?

I would suggest contacting WS support over chat. They will advise how to proceed.

timbochamp

I ported my cell phone number from Virgin Mobile (Bell) to Public Mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timbochamp : That short code list is for outbound requests. You seem to be having a problem with inbound.

Did you port your 'real' landline to your mobile phone by any chance?

Some authentication systems will not send codes to actual land line numbers even they have been ported to mobile phones. And will not send codes to TextNow (unless you pay) nor to Fongo.

timbochamp

I'm not sure I fully follow. Is the fact that Wealthsimple isn't on that short code list when I searched means Public Mobile can't send me their verification text and I'd need to contact Wealthsimple to verify my account some other way?

Need Help? Let's chat.