cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting reliable service in rural area

Javatyger
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi community,

I just wanted to share my story right now, because at this point, I’m going to be done with Public Mobile when it comes to data service, as the network just isn’t reliable when living in a rural area (small town) vs living in a major city.

So to start, I’ve been with PM for a long time, and referred plenty of my friends towards PM, as I’ve always had reliable service in the past. But as of late, that has changed now that I’m not getting the same reliable service I got when living in the city. Which is strange since I’m also with Koodo and no issues which uses the same network. I even upgraded from 3G to 4G and same issue. 

So I think at this point, I’ll just have to stick to Koodo, and cancel PM, as at least I get reliable service. But I don’t see why PM service is so degraded vs Telus vs Koodo. If PM wants more subscribers in the prepaid market, they need to offer the same reliable service we all know Telus offers to its clients. 

14 REPLIES 14

Javatyger

It’s all good. I’ve been dealing with this issue with PM for a long time. I know PM is one of the best prepaid service, but reliably when it comes to data service has always been an issue. I’ll downgrade my account back to a basic $15 line again and just keep it as a backup. Telus needs to support PM more if they want to attract more clients from other services. But until that changes, I’ll just stick with Koodo as my mainline. 

@Javatyger - good troubleshooting.

I would definitely be submitting a ticket to Public Mobile and explain the degrading service you have been receiving over the years you have been here.

@Javatyger  Well before you Throw in the towel be sure to try @softech  suggestions and examine the APN setting also 

@Javatyger as PM and Koodo share the same 4G infrastructure and we know there is no prioritized traffic for Koodo service, so, this is not something it should happen 

You are using iPhone, there is not much APN tweaks you can do, but please make sure Carrier Profile is updated to the latest version  (What version do you have now?)

And if still does not show any improvement, open the ticket with PM support, present them the comparison with Koodo, have them to check the account and re-provision the sim card if needed

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Javatyger

That’s basically what I’ve been doing - keeping it has a backup phone line - it’s just not worth much more as the service just isn’t reliable enough to use it as my main line, especially after all the troubleshooting seeing the difference between Koodo vs PM, even though on same network. 

Javatyger

My phone isn’t the issue.
For troubleshooting so far:

1.) Did a full network reset on the device - iPhone SE 2020, and did a speed test - around 50mbps, but upload is really slow - closer to 5mbps or less; it has service and I’m able to surf the web fine and make calls. 
- I use my PM service to connect to my Apple TV and my laptop. So connected and service will drop, no network connection, or just really slow and can’t load anything. 

2.) Took my PM chip out and put into my Koodo device - iPhone 12 mini - got service and can surf fine. Speed test slightly better around 60mbps, but upload is still slow or test fails. 

- connected it to my Apple TV and laptop via personal hotspot - same problem with slow service and video not loading. 
3.) Took Koodo chip and put into iPhone SE 2020. Speed closer to 100mbps and 15mbps upload. Connected to Apple TV and laptop - works perfectly, no lag, everything loads smoothly. 

So definitely a PM issue. Just not getting the same service I get from Koodo, even though it’s the same network. Don’t know why but really frustrating. 

@Javatyger  You have been around awhile I see so with auto pay and loyalty and assuming you have still have friend referrals that are all active … if you decide to leave you lose those old rewards and can never get them back so in that case I’d consider changing plan to $15 especially if it costs you nothing and just keep as a spare back up line and if you ever move back to the city we’re reception was better you still have all your perks and can always change plans again with no fear of lossing said rewards 

edit or in the event that the coverage improves one day soon in the area you are currently in just some food for thought . 

@Javatyger wrote:

You would think so, as I said I’m a Koodo client, post paid, and no issues. So really confusing. The 3G is fine, but when I upgraded to 4G, I’d expect to get what I’m paying for. 

@Javatyger there is really no reason why your service getting worst with PM, especially you are talking about Data

For data, both Koodo and PM use the same 4G network (also shared by Telus/Bell/Virgin/Lucky).  And you are using the same phone now as the time you were with Koodo?   If it works with Koodo, it should work the same with PM 

First, try to click Reset all network

Then check and make sure your Preferred network type or Network Mode is set to something with LTE or 4G there, or Automatic

If still does not work well, you can examine the APN setttings.  Compare it with below:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms

or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

(might need to include dun for hotspot)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled

or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on

Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

But if you decide to go back to Koodo, please check with a Koodo friend in your area and test and confirm the Koodo connection is as good as before.  The reason I said that is Koodo and PM should have the same network performance and reliability for 4G/LTE data.  I just not sure if there is any equipment change in the area lately and that affect your overall 4G network in the negative way.   

@Javatyger wrote:

There’s not too many people I know in this town to say if they even have PM as their providers - most people here are on SaskTel I’d assume (small town Saskatchewan), which provides decent service here. When I’m the city, Regina or Saskatoon, no issues at all. 

@Javatyger -

I wonder if your phone could be an issue in the 'weaker' areas? Have you tried much troubleshooting to receive better services...like:

*turn off your phone, restarting

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*perform a reset network settings on your device

*try your SIM card into another compatible phone, see if services improve

I am sure there have been network changes happening across the country over the last couple of years with upgrades to towers/locations. I wonder if your specific area has been one location that has not had upgrades, or rather issues that have not been fixed?

You could always ask CSA tech support if there have been other issues reported in your rural area, and if this narrows down to a specific tower or not.

@Javatyger  Yes I agree . Seems strange … should be no difference 100%

Javatyger

There’s not too many people I know in this town to say if they even have PM as their providers - most people here are on SaskTel I’d assume (small town Saskatchewan), which provides decent service here. When I’m the city, Regina or Saskatoon, no issues at all. 

Javatyger

You would think so, as I said I’m a Koodo client, post paid, and no issues. So really confusing. The 3G is fine, but when I upgraded to 4G, I’d expect to get what I’m paying for. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

That is unfortunate to hear after being a customer for so long here @Javatyger .

Are there of the other Public Mobile customers in your area experiencing the same issue with data? 

Do other providers in your area have better success, do you know?

What troubleshooting have you tried with your phone and/or SIM card?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Javatyger  Maybe try putting your preferred network setting on 3G only and see if that helps …. Koodo Telus PM all under same umbrella and use same towers so there shouldn’t be much of a difference other then speed 

Need Help? Let's chat.