cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voicemail or data

roses
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Since switiching to Public Mobile I have neither data, nor voicemail.  My plan includes both.  Help!

45 REPLIES 45

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@roses wrote:

I FOUND IT!!!!!!

Accidently hit a coma instead of a period in one place.  I now have data.

Whoohoooo!!!! Great!!! And welcome to Public Mobile. 🙂

@koimr1 wrote:

@roses wrote:

Freedom.  Moved into an older apartment building and could never get a signal.

Ahhhhhhh..... hmmmmm...... and did you buy this phone from Freedom? Well, would've been Wind at the time.

I have heard of some Samsung phones needing the CSC changed when moving to/from Freedom but I am not knowledgable about this at all - @srlawren, @computergeek541 - you guys (or anyone else) know for sure?

Hoping though that the PM support person is able to help you!

The CSC change with Samsung phone from Freedom Mobile has to do with many Samsung devices sold by them having LTE disabled at the software level.  While unlocked phones such as those would still work at Public Mobile,  you'd get slower maximum data speeds.

@roses wrote:

I FOUND IT!!!!!!

Good to hear.  I hope you end up being happy with the voice service and data speeds.

@roses wrote:

Thanks everyne for he help.

It appears that, contrary to what I was told by Pubic Mobile when I searched compatability my phone ISN'T compatable for data.  Nothing like being lied to just so they get a customer.  So now they lose a customer.

I can sympathize with not being able to get things to work.  But when you're bringing your own phone, it's really up to the user to know how to configure things, especially when it comes to data access.

This is kind of like when a seller sells a carrier unlocked phone and then blames the seller for not setting the data up for them.  While such a seller can help you with this and most will usually try their best, it is unlttimately the user's repsponsbibility to know how to use the phone.  Sorry, I know that's a bit harsh, but that's reality.  A similar argument could be used when a carrier tells you that a phone is compatible.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the wording of Public Mobile's compatibility check, but everyone should know that no carrier can ever guarantee 100% compatibility with a phone that they didn't sell you.  In fact, I've seen some carriers or even private unlocked cell phone stores use disclaimers saying that that they can only guarantee compatibility for making and receivinig phone calls. 

Unless your phone's software is actively blocking you from making changes to the setttings, this is almost certainly an issue with the APN being set incorrectly.

Here are things that all customers should know how to set manually to use a cell phone at a particular carrier:

- APN settings for data

-voicemail retrieval number

- SMS center number for text messaging

Usually, the second and third thing in that short list are set automatically for most people.  But,  it is very common for APN settings to be set wrong or even be blank after inserting your sim card.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@roses very glad to hear it! 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

roses

Thanks everyone, for your patience and persistance.  Problem is solved.

roses

I FOUND IT!!!!!!

roses

I left Freedom because I can't get any signal in the building I'm in, so that won't work. 

My plan shows over 2 gig availalbe to me.  I haven't been able to use any of it at all.

I understand what you are saying, believe me.  I keep checking the APN settings, hoping to find an error I've made.  So far everything looks good.

koimr1

@roses wrote:

One of the community members sent me a link that took me through that, so I have already tried that solution.

This is quite perplexing - don't take this the wrong way 🙂 but could you screenshot and post your APN settings? I know, I know, we've asked you so many times now and you're probably ready to throw your phone at us!

I ask because another member did so and it turned out to be something like one missing character or a "1" instead of an "l", etc.

This should work for you unless you are in some area that doesn't have a Telus/Bell data signal but still managed a weak Freedom one. Usually it's the other way around!

I'm still hoping it's something that can be solved and personally anytime I've had a data issue it's been an APN problem. I've even had to delete what I thought was a perfectly good APN and re-enter it to get things going once.

Also - in Self-Serve, does your plan show how much data you have available? There's always a chance that your plan somehow glitched when setting up but the PM support person would be able to verify that. Is he or she still conversing with you?

roses

One of the community members sent me a link that took me through that, so I have already tried that solution.

@roses You are getting support from knowledgable members. I am most familiar with iPhones but I have seen several issues like yours reported with a UK provider. The resolution there was to create a new APN with those required by the network, PM in this case, and manually select it. You could also delete any that are redundant.

Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Menu Key > New APN then enter the settings.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

roses

Nope, bought the phone straight out from a WalMart

srlawren

@koimr1 right, CSC.  I did a quick community search for "Samsung CSC" but I think all the results that came back (at least the half dozen or so I looked at) were saying they were gettng 3G data fine but not LTE, which is not the case here since @roses can't even get the 3G data.  @imm1304 @NDesai @SD08 any of you guys have any ideas here?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1

@roses wrote:

Ahhhhhhh..... hmmmmm...... and did you buy this phone from Freedom? Well, would've been Wind at the time.

I have heard of some Samsung phones needing the CSC changed when moving to/from Freedom but I am not knowledgable about this at all - @srlawren, @computergeek541 - you guys (or anyone else) know for sure?

Hoping though that the PM support person is able to help you!

roses

srlawren

@koimr1 wrote:

Which carrier did you come from, btw?

@koimr1 ohhhh yeah great question to ask.  It's usually LG G series that require a factory reset after leaving Freedom but it's conceivable this Samsung model needs it too... I hope it doesn't come to that.

srlawren

@roses hopefully it's something on their end, and easily correctable--I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get data working with that device.  Please keep us posted, and good luck to you.

koimr1

@roses wrote:

I have checked and confirmed EVERY APN setting available.  And my mobile data is turned on (very first thing I always check when having data issues).

I'm working with a PM support person right now.  I really would like this t work.  I like the network, except for this 1 issue.

Which carrier did you come from, btw?

roses

I have checked and confirmed EVERY APN setting available.  And my mobile data is turned on (very first thing I always check when having data issues).

I'm working with a PM support person right now.  I really would like this t work.  I like the network, except for this 1 issue.

srlawren

@roses that phone appears to be data capable on Public Mobile, since it has both 850MHz and 1900MHz UMTS 3G network support.  It doens't have any LTE support at all, but you should be able to get fairly speedy HSPA+ data with it without issue.

I think you either have an APN issue, have mobile data accidentally turned off (it's easy to do by accident without noticing, I've done it before in the past and I'm a very savvy power user), or you may have an issue with the data set up on your account.  

EDIT: whatever the cause, it should be correctable and you should be able to use this phone for PM including data usage.

roses

work tech support for HP.  Turning off, then back on (not a restart) is one of the esiest fixes.  So yup, tried that too.

roses

Sorry, yes.

mikga
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

my phone is even more older - BBz10, still works on PM. Did you try to turn it off and then on again, see if it will work.

koimr1

@roses wrote:

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 SGH-T559V

Can you verify that model number? I'm having trouble looking it up.

Is it possible you meant T599 instead?

roses

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, SGH-T559V.

Have tried everything on that site, still no data.

roses

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 SGH-T559V

roses

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.  Older phone, but the best one I've had, for me.  That's why I checked the compatability to begn with.

@roses, did you attempt to look at the link supplied above?  http://apn-canada.gishan.net/

Please look at it... Please tell us your make and specific model.

srlawren

@roses I'll second @koimr1's question:  what brand and model is your phone?  Please be as specific as possible, since many models have different variations for different parts of the world.

Need Help? Let's chat.