cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service on my cell phone 5s

Mon79
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

because, the phone says - Cellular Update Failed, Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated.  Apple tried to fix the problem but it was unsuccessful. Apple cannot fix the problem, it is the Carrier ,Public Mobile.

21 REPLIES 21

Mon79

Thank you guys for your help. My problem was solved by a reformatted SIM card, than I went to Apple and the support guy checked for problems on my cell phone, found out the antenna was not receiving a signal from Public Mobile so he rebooted my phone and now its working as before, great.

@Mon79 

Try rebooting phone. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Mon79 

Go to settings, cellular, cellular data nework.....it should say as per pic below. 

59E43951-7CC8-4A0A-8BCD-0A8B48D3144C.jpeg

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CountyDownIeUk 

You are correct after I checked the 5S which I have accessed to long time ago.  APN has only one field which is the mobile server address.  Updated my post to remove the reference.

@popping 

Yes, I forgot the difference with Telus vs PM. BUT when I switched over to PM there was no "download" involved. I put the SIM in and adjusted  the APN setting and that was it...and the options of APN adjustments on an older iPhone are very minimal. 

popping

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Mon79 

One of my family member is using a iPhone 5S with PM call/text/data plan.  iOS 12.5.5 is the latest version for 5S because Apple had stop supporting 5S.

You need the PM specific file to be added on your phone before iPhone 5S works with a new provider if it was use with other provider.

What is the iOS version on your iPhone 5S?

Can you update your 5S while connected to WiFi?

When all failed, connect to a PC running iTune to update your 5S and get your PM specific config file.

Good luck.

@popping 

In bold red......that is confusing.....what do you mean?

OP Says phi was was working. 

My MIL had a 5S on Telus with no issues. 

@Mon79 

Best suggestions have been to do:

1. Reset or review your carrier settings

2. A full reset on phone, but back it up first on the iCloud or on a computer with iTunes

3. You can do a reset on a computer using iTunes as well

And just to add, if you do a full reset on the phone using a computer using iTunes, the last screen will say the phone is unlocked....if it is. If locked.....no message either way. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

You asked "In bold red......that is confusing.....what do you mean?"

After changing provider, user needs to download a provider specific config file before an iPhone can be used with the new provider.   I did not mention about restarting iPhone to configure the iPhone with the info in the provider specific config file.  IIRC, after update, iPhone always restarting itself.

Working with Telus does not mean it will work with PM. e.g. PM uses 3G for voice calls only.  Telus does not have this restriction.

@popping wrote:

@Mon79 

One of my family member is using a iPhone 5S with PM call/text/data plan.  iOS 12.5.5 is the latest version for 5S because Apple had stop supporting 5S.

You need the PM specific file to be added on your phone before iPhone 5S works with a new provider if it was use with other provider.

When all failed, connect to a PC running iTune to update your 5S and get your PM specific config file.

Good luck.

@popping 

In bold red......that is confusing.....what do you mean?

OP Says phi was was working. 

My MIL had a 5S on Telus with no issues. 

@Mon79 

Best suggestions have been to do:

1. Reset or review your carrier settings

2. A full reset on phone, but back it up first on the iCloud or on a computer with iTunes

3. You can do a reset on a computer using iTunes as well

And just to add, if you do a full reset on the phone using a computer using iTunes, the last screen will say the phone is unlocked....if it is. If locked.....no message either way. 

popping

@Mon79 

Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mon79 : No friends or relatives you can try with? We're just trying to identify where the problem is. Your SIM working in another phone would tell you the service works. Another SIM in your phone not working would tell you the phone is the problem.

If your SIM doesn't work elsewhere then it's the service (mostly). If another SIM works in your phone then again it's a problem with the service (mostly).

Then we can proceed from there. The failure to update (from your OP) sounds problematic though.

Edit: just on a whim, check devicecheck.ca to make sure.

Mon79

I'v had the service with PM for 2 years no problems.

Mon79

The phone is definitely un-locked been using it for years no problems just 2 days ago turned the phone on in the morning and there was no service.

Mon79

I will try all that, thank you.

Mon79

They did not do that, but I will go to a kiosque in Laval and check with them to put in a SIM card. Thank you, its a good idea.   Obviously its only on my cell phone because nobody I heard of has this problem.

@Mon79  Yes, was the phone ever worked on PM or you just switched to this phone?  The PM sim was working before?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Mon79 

Please review this. 

Likely carrier settings. 

Also not this would be an issue if Phone was working before.....a 5S is likely carrier locked. 

I can give you a website to verify and if it is...contact a CSA to unlock it for you. 

Mon79

I did all that with Apple service and he gave up after an hour or so and says he can't help me further

@Mon79 wrote:

I did not try that put in a new SIM card, how do I do that?

hi @Mon79   Do you have another SIM that you know it works, put it in the iPhone and see if it works.

or if you have a second phone, put your PM SIM into it and check

Or you said you tried Apple Support, did they put another SIM into the phone and make sure the phone actually works?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not new. A different working active SIM from another phone. Just to see if it might work on another service. That would verify if it's the phone or the Public Mobile service. Also try your SIM in that other phone.

Mon79

I did not try that put in a new SIM card, how do I do that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The device is now past it's support limit from Apple.

Can you successfully run any other SIM in it?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Mon79   did you try to make the Carrier update via iTune instead of Wifi?

Are you on the latest iOS stable version ?  If not, make the update first

and if still fails, you might need to try Factory reset (but make sure you have proper backup 

Need Help? Let's chat.