cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Public Mobile -- Trouble with Activation

DeltaNumaris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys. My name is Peter, I am new to Public Mobile.
I ordered a Sim Card in the mail a week ago and it came in today.
I proceeded to Activate my Sim Card today which went well... But now on my phone it says I don't have any service.... In Self Serve it says my plan is Active and shows me my Phone Number and Account Number.
Out of desperation I tried calling myself from a Calling App (to call my Public Mobile Number) and a girl answered the phone, but this is supposed to be my phone number...
Any advice?

7 REPLIES 7

DeltaNumaris

Hey, I tried rebooting the Phone several times and nothing worked, I notified technical support, then I did what you suggested and went into Airplane Mode for a couple  of minutes and now it works perfectly, Thanks for the help : )

HI @DeltaNumaris ,

Have you gotten your service working properly yet?

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @DeltaNumaris 

While it may be a number assigned to you was already in use, if your phone doesn't work, check the following:

In your self service account, choose Change Sim Card.

Ensure the last 4 digits on the self-serve SIM number match your SIM card in your device to ensure you have not been sim jacked. 

If they do not match, while still on the self-serve account, put your phone in lost/stolen mode and change the password. Then check and secure all your financials.

From, there, contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system - faster response time. Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.
  2. Send a private message to the moderator through the following link  here

DeltaNumaris

Okay, I did change my phone number but it still won't give me service on my phone.
It says on Self Serve my Service is Active... I owe $25 by March 20th, 2021 (which is my plan pricing) and $0.00 available on my Balance.
Does Public Mobile work with a Balance of $0.00? It says Active in Self Serve but says Emergency Calls Only on my Phone, in Settings on my Phone it doesn't know my Cell Provider or Phone Number...
I really hope you guys can help.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DeltaNumaris   First please edit your post by clicking the 3 dots top right of post and then edit and delete your name etc as you're on a public forum.   I see it's only a first name, so not necessary.

It's possible that you've been given a number that was already in use and it seems this issue happens every now and again.  You should be able to log into your self serve account and select a new number and reboot the phone. 

Otherwise submitting a ticket to moderators will be required which can be done here: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

@DeltaNumaris wrote:

I proceeded to Activate my Sim Card today which went well... But now on my phone it says I don't have any service.... In Self Serve it says my plan is Active and shows me my Phone Number and Account Number.
Out of desperation I tried calling myself from a Calling App (to call my Public Mobile Number) and a girl answered the phone, but this is supposed to be my phone number...
Any advice?

This sounds to me that the Public Mobile assigned a number that already in use.    Do outgoing calls work? If Public Mobile did give you someone else's number by mistake, you'll have to change it.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DeltaNumaris wrote:

Any advice?

@DeltaNumaris We have seen a few of these (active number being assigned) lately for some reason. Easiest thing to try is go into your self serve and select change number. It's free every 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.