cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to PM - texting not working

becs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Activated my account and ported my phone number from my old provider today.

Voice calling is working. Data is working. I am not receiving texts and the texts I am sending are not being recived on the other end. The texts I'm sending are shown as being sent on my phone.

Ideas or suggestions? Something buggy with my account or SIM card? 

I have created an account and double checked that I have international texting on the account.

5 REPLIES 5

becs

Okay, should have posted this up before now, but the holidays have been insane and haven't left me with a ton of time.

My solution!!!!!! Was to wait. 

I think new users to public mobile (myself included) get really antsy if they aren't sure if things are going the way they should. Within a few days of joining my texts started to work normally again and I haven't had a problem since. 😄

becs

Double checked that no one was blocked and ran the same tests with another firend in terms of sending and reciving texts. Nothing.

Digging deeper: Through the magic of dialing *#*#4636#*#* I found a place to set my SMSC. It appeared blank, and when I refreshed it the number that RobertQc posted was automatically filled in.

48358606_488973641595802_339913916647735296_n.png

Unfortunatly, I'm still not sending for reciving texts. 😞

Have turned the phone on and off multiple times. Tried swapping SIM cards with my husband's phone, but forgot that his phone is locked, so not a very useful test there.

CellAid
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did you try turning your phone off and back on again?

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@becs wrote:

Voice calling is working. Data is working. I am not receiving texts and the texts I am sending are not being recived on the other end. The texts I'm sending are shown as being sent on my phone.

I have created an account and double checked that I have international texting on the account.

Please let us all know how you made out. Cheers Lemew

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@becs wrote:

@becs

The most common problem for SMS issues is having an invalid SMSC number.

The SMSC number for Public Mobile is 16475800172. Make sure you input that number into your message center option on your phone.

Depending on  your phone... Messaging=>Settings=>Text(SMS) Messages=> SMSC Setting. Then input 16475800172

If you are not able to send MMS that’s a nother issue and the most common problem is a Data issue with your APN not properly being configured.

Go to message app settings and check for a blocked / restricted number. This can happen easily by accident on a touch screen phone.

Log into to self serve go to usage history and check to see if the message has been sent to the correct number.

This may seem weird, but delete your conversation on both phones then delete each other from your contact list and re-add each others contact info with at least 1 letter/digit different (contact name) then what the contact name was before. I have heard this solving your described issue almost always if there is no block in settings.

If that does not solve the problem, switch sim cards in both phones and try again and see if the issue is identicle, or if the issue swaps. Then at least you could narrow it down to either sim/service or local phone/setting

Need Help? Let's chat.