cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

mustang66kd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. Im purchasing a new phone today. What do I need to do to set this up?  Going from an 8plus to a 12.  
thank you! 

9 REPLIES 9

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If this is Apple, see if you have to do anything with apple ID or similar. Otherwise putting SIM into new phone should do the trick.

@maxdipro wrote:

HI Mustang

Make sure the phone you got is unlocked if so its really easy to just put the public sim card in and it should work 

cheers 

welcome aboard 

If originally purchased in Canada.....it’s unlocked. And for sure will work if was on Telus or Koodo. 

See unlocked verification in pic below. 

maxdipro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

HI Mustang

Make sure the phone you got is unlocked if so its really easy to just put the public sim card in and it should work 

cheers 

welcome aboard 

@dust2dust wrote:

Is this a new phone or new to you but used phone? If used, be sure to check devicecheck.ca before handing over the money.

There are more checks than that to do!

Device check is for phones registered in Canada. If a phone is blacklisted in another country it should work here.....but maybe not. 

Check here for originating carrier and sim lock. https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

Also verify as per pic. 

430A1AA8-25AC-4AC2-8932-1FBDA4985589.jpeg

Thanks@CountyDownIeUk . So all the device registrations, AppleID stuff etc happen somewhere in that process?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Both phones fully charged. 

Make sure old phone is up to date for iOS. 

Put them on a table side by side. 

Start to set up new phone.....then it will ask you to copy the old one. 

Let it copy. 

Take sim out of old phone and put into new. 

Reboot new phone. 

See if new phone needs an iOS update. 

Is this a new phone or new to you but used phone? If used, be sure to check devicecheck.ca before handing over the money.

mustang66kd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ohh.  Haha. That sounds easier than I expected. I appreciate your reply.  Keep up the good work helping us technically challenged folks 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Pull the sim out and put it in the new.

@CountyDownIeUkcan suggest things you might need to do in the Apple world.

Need Help? Let's chat.