cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone not accessing mobile data even though turned on and permissions given

AmyB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I put my Public Mobile sim card from my old smartphone into my new cell phone. I then set up the new phone from Start with the old sim card. It appeared to be fine until I left my home and WiFi. Even though I had three bars for the Telus network, the phone couldn't access my mobile data to run Google Maps, open news items in the Google news feed, it would open the store flyers app Reebee and probably a couple of other apps. Sometimes wheels spun, sometimes I would get turn on the mobile data. (It was turned on - I checked more than once.) As well, texting was not working correctly. None of my texts to my sister in another city went through to her - I got a message with three choices - turn on the mobile data, change to SMS/MMS messaging or delete. I turned on SMS/MMS but the texts still didn't go though. Meanwhile, I was able to text two other friends and get texts back with no problem. I could look up and read an article on my Guardian app but any article from The Guardian that appeared in the Google news feed, would not open. I kept being told I was offline and to turn my mobile data on. It was on. I have checked for app permissions too. That doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, when I look at data usage, it keeps saying 0. That makes sense because my phone obliviously isn't using my mobile date. I have lots of data available on my account. I am stumped. Please help.  

62 REPLIES 62

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@wakeup 

Update your OS to at least Android 10 if you can and see if that gives you the ability to edit your APN. Otherwise you can contact customer service to text you a configuration file that will update your APN to the the correct carrier profile. Your other option would be to borrow a freedom SIM card from someone or if you live out west you may be able to find a roam SIM card in store ($0.49) that will also allow you to edit your APN. If that is possible we can walk you thru the method.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private message only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

wakeup

Ok, I will try that as next step. Thank you.

@wakeup yes you will loss the app.  You basically need to setup the phone again like new.  

Make sure you have the PM SIM in the phone when you factory reset

wakeup

Thanks, I will try Factory reset... Will I loose installed apps?

@wakeup did you try Network refresh?  

You night also want to do a Factoelry reset with the PM SIM in the phone  if it still not working.  But, remember to backup you data like pictures or videos first 

wakeup

I do not have access to mobile data. I cannot edit default APNs settings (greyed) nor ADD a new APN (tapping the 3 dots at upper right corner of display).  How to solve this problem?  (new unlocked moto 2020, android 9)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lokiguy 

Have you updated your OS from Android 8.1? Once update to Android 9 the greyed out APN settings or missing edit button issue disappears and you can edit your APN unfettered going forward.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

lokiguy

Yeah u gotta add the APN for Public Mobile for sure. If it doesn't give u the option to add a new one then u need to put a Freedom Mobile SIM card in ur phone first then it will let u add a new APN. The Freedom Mobile SIM card doesn't have to b activated but for whatever reason it's the only one that will work in order to add the APN.

lokiguy

Did u say it was a new phone? If so u might have to go into settings and find APN, if this is the problem u can look up the APN for public mobile and add it on ur phone in order for mobile data to work. I had to do this to my phone but I had to get a Freedom Mobile SIM card in order to have the option to add a new APN to my phone. I have the Ouikitel WP6. Hopefully this helps 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB wrote:

Hi, Thanks. I ordered the phone from Banggood.com. I have used the site before as have my sister and brother-in-law. I believe they are reputable. I tried tying in the *#0* in the search bar in settings. Nothing appeared. 

@AmyB  the *#06# get entered in the phone dialer of you device, like you are making a call.

Then this should present your IMEI number that you enter in that link: 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Anyways, you are show good bar signals, and 3G connected.

What Mobile Connections do you have has options? Do you have any LTE option with a 3G auto connect option?

esjliv_0-1622501638903.png

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @AmyB 

your device has Dual SIM do you try to insert in another slots your SIM,

not fix it try do Hard Reset

and go to Settings Connections Mobile Networks Access Point Names,
Once on the APN screen, press the Add or Tap on New APN;
Enter a name into the APN Name field. Here the info for APN

Press the Options up on the corner on your device : tap on Save. The created APN will show up on the APNs screen. To activate it, tap on the radio button located in front of the APN. Reboot the device and start browsing!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Maybe it's just this stupid forum set up making it appear like you had an extra post.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

How did you get your post to entirely disappear?

@darlicious : ???

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

How did you get your post to entirely disappear?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AmyB : I made edits of my earlier post. darlicious made me look again. I vote it would be easier to edit what you have and leave the rest. For now. And did you have those other MVNO settings at the end? They didn't show on your pics.

Edit: The recent above from darlicious is a possible variation. But let's see what you get with what you have.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB 

These settings may be an easier edit for you.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Geez....make things more complicated then they need to be.....an edit is all that is necessary but go ahead and take over walking the OP on how to do this when they come back by all means,....

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

For some reason, Umigidi is one of the most troublesome phones for setting up APN.  

But.. once you are setup properly, you are good from there  🙂

@AmyB   when you are off work tonight , maybe try this

Turn off the phone

Remove PM SIM from the Phone

Turn on the phone WITHOUT the SIM

Go to the APN settings, you shouldn't see any Telus APN settings there any more.  If you still see them DELETE THEM all

then use the + symbol to create a new one for Public Mobile.  Remember to save it

Then turn off the phone, insert PM SIM back.  Power on and check if the Public Mobile APN you have created is still there.  Then try Mobile data.  Of course this step is the most important part: Come back and tell us the good news  🙂

If still fails :(... I really suggest you to try factory rest the phone once again.  But this time with the PM SIM in the phone and go through Factory reset and setup of the phone

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB 

No worries I will post the other APN that will have less edits for you to do and you can check in on it when you have more time.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB 

Lol...dont worry you can always edit....there are couple of slightly different APNs that work for pm. There is another one that will suit your editing process better than mine. Let me get it for you.

AmyB

Hi darlicious, I have to sign off now. I have work I have to get done. I will get back to this tomorrow. Sorry to have to take off but I had no idea this would be so complicated and take so much of your time. I really do appreciate it. Thank you so much. 

AmyB

Hi, I have to sign off now. I have work I have to get done. I will get back to this tomorrow. Sorry to have to take off but I had not idea this would be so complicated and take so much of everyone's time. Thank you all very much. 

AmyB

It lets me into edit and I can type the information darlicious gave me. However, I haven't had the nerve to press the save to what I enter will be saved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So there you go, you're in Edit access point. Good so far.
So tap on name and make it whatever you like it doesn't matter. Just something related to here so you know.
Tap on APN and make it sp.mb.com

Edit: darlicious below is right - clear Proxy and clear Port.
Oh look at that, And the rest should be fine.
I have no clue what all that Bearer stuff is (well other than recognizing most of it but not sure why it's all here).

Then tap the 3 dots top right and tap Save.

Then tap the name in the list with the radio button to select it.

Then go into airplane for a count to 20 and then out of airplane mode.

Then see if you can get somewhere with a browser.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB 

Yes you need to do a few edits from what I can see so far the name, the bearer and let me check further....

@AmyB Can you actually Update the APN from sp.telus.com to sp.mb.com  ?

AmyB

Here go. IMG_20220203_175806.jpgIMG_20220203_175813 (1).jpgIMG_20220203_175813.jpg

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB 

Ok tap public mobile. You can post a pic of the APN settings if you would like us to double check them alongside the ones I posted or you can check yourself and edit where necessary.

@AmyB   I don't think you have make the manual APN setup on your phone for PM

Is that a new phone that you just start using?  Can we try to do a Factory Reset with your PM SIM in the phone and see if it can pickup the correct APN setting without manual update?

Need Help? Let's chat.