cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone not accessing mobile data even though turned on and permissions given

AmyB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I put my Public Mobile sim card from my old smartphone into my new cell phone. I then set up the new phone from Start with the old sim card. It appeared to be fine until I left my home and WiFi. Even though I had three bars for the Telus network, the phone couldn't access my mobile data to run Google Maps, open news items in the Google news feed, it would open the store flyers app Reebee and probably a couple of other apps. Sometimes wheels spun, sometimes I would get turn on the mobile data. (It was turned on - I checked more than once.) As well, texting was not working correctly. None of my texts to my sister in another city went through to her - I got a message with three choices - turn on the mobile data, change to SMS/MMS messaging or delete. I turned on SMS/MMS but the texts still didn't go though. Meanwhile, I was able to text two other friends and get texts back with no problem. I could look up and read an article on my Guardian app but any article from The Guardian that appeared in the Google news feed, would not open. I kept being told I was offline and to turn my mobile data on. It was on. I have checked for app permissions too. That doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, when I look at data usage, it keeps saying 0. That makes sense because my phone obliviously isn't using my mobile date. I have lots of data available on my account. I am stumped. Please help.  

62 REPLIES 62

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@AmyB  -

So, all services calling/texts/data worked in your previous phone?

If you cannot make any calls either, check if you new (is this new to you...previously owned ?) is listed as blacklisted: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@AmyB   what kind of phone is that? Brand and Model?

You can check the APN settings to see if it has the correct one

If you don't mind , you can also try Network Reset (it will also wipe your Wifi and you have to rejoin your Home Wifi or other Wifi after)

if still fail, you might want to do a Factory reset.  Some phones need this on a new network, LG seems to need to do this a lot

But it could also be the phone lacks the frequency used in PM.  So, let us know the phone brand and model and we can try to confirm

Need Help? Let's chat.