cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone, bad data connection in big box stores

mikasik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I recently upgraded my phone from the S21 to S23 and whenever I go to one of the big box stores my data connection is slow to unusable.  This wasn't an issue on my S21.  I heard getting a new SIM can help, was there any updates to Public Mobiles SIM cards recently? (mine is 4 years old)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mikasik  no need for new sim card if it is just some particular location

The bad connection issue could be just the building material of that particular store.  I notice going Costco or Home Depot always have this problem for me (with any phones and any providers)

If you want, you can try playing with the Preferred network type or network mode, instead of Automatic , try LTE, WCDMA and see if it helps in that store

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mikasik 

A new SIM card would not help the issue.  They are very robust and unlikely to degrade.  If it worked well in the other device, that's also an indicator likely more a device-related issue than SIM issue.

What may be happening is your device is trying to manually connect to the local area Wi-Fi connection and that is weak.   Try turning OFF the Wi-Fi switch and rely on data only when in the big box stores.

If you can, perhaps try another provider SIM card in your device (i.e. a friend or family member) to see if data problems persist.

Also try resetting your APN connections on your new device.

Need Help? Let's chat.