cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM "No Service" ~ iPhone 5S

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I got a new SIM last weekend from Walmart (Pre-activated with a new number) when I insert it into an unlocked iPhone 5S it displays "No Service" in the upper left-hand corner.

I already tried resetting the network settings and doing a hard reset but sadly it still won't connect to the network.

What should I try next?

35 REPLIES 35

@Poogzley wrote:

@srlawren @computergeek541 @Anonymous I don't understand why Walmart can't just provide a barcode scanner, it's not like they don't already have some all over the store Robot Frustrated

Walmart doesn't have to provide one.  The wireless department arleady has it.  Not only do they have to scan in the sim card for the purchase and inventory, they would also have to scan in the sale of any phone (other carriers),  This is a Public Mobile problem and how the activation system isn't tied into the barcode scanner.  You think that any other carier activation would force the employee to type in the sim card number?  That's extremely unlikely.  When it comes to this, Public Mobile is the Mickey Mouse of activation processes. 

Poogzley

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@srlawren @computergeek541 @Anonymous I don't understand why Walmart can't just provide a barcode scanner, it's not like they don't already have some all over the store Robot Frustrated

The cell store is actually a store within a store. Kinda like McDonalds in the Walmart. It's not actually Walmart operating it.

Even if that is the case why can't they get a barcode scanner for PM? I can't imagine that they also type in the numbers manually for Rogers, Bell and Telus clients. The least they could do is share one...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Poogzley wrote:

The cell store is actually a store within a store. Kinda like McDonalds in the Walmart. It's not actually Walmart operating it.

Poogzley

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 as I understand it, I think the answer to your supposition around how they set up activations for their retail partners is "more or less that, yes".  I think the original version was almost identical to the regular/public activation portal, though a dedicated retail portal was created a bit later and is currently in place.  However, I would assume that it is also very much the bare minimum to get retail partners activating for their customers without any "frills" like a barcode reader.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

What type of messed up activation system makes the in-store employee type in the number printed on the plastic surrounding the sim card?  I can't beleive that the process doesn't involve scanning in the barcode that contains that number.

@computergeek541 you must be new around here--welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂 

As you well know, Telus would rather pay the moderator to fix it after the fact and absorb the bad CX than to invest in something to improve the product and makes for a seemless experience.  We have seen this time and again.  

I doubt there's any other carrier in the country who manually types in sim card numbers during in store activations.  What did Public Mobile do?  Did they just put the online self-serve activation website behind some type of proxy so that commissions can be kepted track of?  I can only imagine what the employees doing the activations would think of that.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

What type of messed up activation system makes the in-store employee type in the number printed on the plastic surrounding the sim card?  I can't beleive that the process doesn't involve scanning in the barcode that contains that number.

@computergeek541 you must be new around here--welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂 

As you well know, Telus would rather pay the moderator to fix it after the fact and absorb the bad CX than to invest in something to improve the product and makes for a seemless experience.  We have seen this time and again.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Glad you got it resolved. Any idea what was the cause of the issue?

@krazykiwi The Walmart employee made a mistake when typing in the ICCID for the SIM card during activation.

Cool. Indeed. It scans off the original card. Yeah really... remove transcription errors.

So for this exact problem or for self-activation why is it that the self-serve doesn't show the whole SIM number rather than just the last 4 digits? This could have been resolved far quicker and easier and a lot less heart ache.

@Poogzley wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@krazykiwi The Walmart employee made a mistake when typing in the ICCID for the SIM card during activation.

Poogzley

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@Poogzley

Glad to hear this.  May I ask how long was your wait time for moderator response?   Did you just send one message or multiple message to moderator?  This information might be helpful for others waiting for mod response....

@Dunkman I am sad to say it is way over the estimated 24-48 hours… Smiley Sad

I had initially reached out to @CS_Agent on 10-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.

I waited a few days with no response and then recontacted them on 10-25-2018 at 08:42 PM,

on Saturday (10-27-2018) I still had not heard back from PM so I sent out a few tweets and finally got someone to respond to my message last night.

After sending a few messages back and forth today they finally resolved my issue.Smiley Happy

I really hope that they improve their response time in the future... Smiley Frustrated

Poogzley

@Dunkman wrote:

@Poogzley

Glad to hear this.  May I ask how long was your wait time for moderator response?   Did you just send one message or multiple message to moderator?  This information might be helpful for others waiting for mod response....

@Dunkman I am sad to say it is way over the estimated 24-48 hours… Smiley Sad

I had initially reached out to @CS_Agent on 10-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.

I waited a few days with no response and then recontacted them on 10-25-2018 at 08:42 PM,

on Saturday (10-27-2018) I still had not heard back from PM so I sent out a few tweets and finally got someone to respond to my message last night.

After sending a few messages back and forth today they finally resolved my issue.Smiley Happy

I really hope that they improve their response time in the future... Smiley Frustrated

@Poogzley

Poogzley

The Public mobile moderators finally wrote back and it turns out that the person at Walmart typed in an invalid ICCID for the Sim card at activation. Smiley Sad That is why my iPhone was saying there was "No Service" and I was unable to get the verification codes... A few private messages late and I am now up and running! Smiley Happy Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on. Smiley Very Happy

Poogzley

@Luddite wrote:

@Poogzley When a SIM is activated, even at Walmart, an account is created. If it was not created try this link: Create Account. I expect it to fail, in which case try:Forgot your password? with the email address you provided at Walmart.

BTW: I can find only one data only plan: 600 meg for $30; no $20 data only plan.

That statement is only partially correct. When you activate in store you get a PM account but you need to complete registration later on in order to get an online self-serve account. The creation of a self-service account requires you to receive a verification code by text to confirm your identity. My issue is that since I can't connect to the network I can't access the verification code.

@Anonymous wrote:

Luddite:

Have another look. 🙂

$20/250mb 3G (unless I missed mention of 4G in this context) 

Thanks. Robot Very Happy Missed it.

Hate plans that do not appear in the plan builder.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite wrote:

BTW: I can find only one data only plan: 600 meg for $30; no $20 data only plan.

@Luddite:

Have another look. 🙂

$20/250mb 3G (unless I missed mention of 4G in this context)

@Poogzley When a SIM is activated, even at Walmart, an account is created. If it was not created try this link: Create Account. I expect it to fail, in which case try:Forgot your password? with the email address you provided at Walmart.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jarvar

Sorry to hear about the difficulties @Poogzley

If you need to set the APN settings for an iPhone 4s

Go to www.unlockit.co.nz from safari in their phones

Select public mobile settings and follow the prompts to install the APN settings onto the phones.

Here is a Public Mobile thread on this issue specifically.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/iphone-4-and-public-mobile/td-p/96548

Let us know how it works out for you. I hope your issue can get resolved soon.

@Poogzley

Without access to the self service account, it is difficult to offer more advice.  You might be stuck waiting for moderator.  Sorry...

Poogzley

@Dunkman wrote:

@Poogzley

Do you have another phone that you can put your PM SIM card?  That would help to determine whether Public Mobile issue versus hardware problem.

Maybe try a network reset on your iphone....

I just tried it on an iPhone 4S and it is having the same issue "No Service".

I already tried to reset the network settings it did not resolve the issue.

@Poogzley

Do you have another phone that you can put your PM SIM card?  That would help to determine whether Public Mobile issue versus hardware problem.

Maybe try a network reset on your iphone....

Poogzley

@Jarvar wrote:

Thank you @Poogzley

Please remember, I am just a community member. I am not a moderator. If you have gone ahead and contacted the Moderator with a direct message, that would be helpful in the event you need further assistance.

Your SIM Card was pre-activated from Walmart.

I am wondering if you need to register it online with Public Mobile.

Do you have a Self Serve Account Setup already? What does it say when you login there?

Thanks

I understand that you are a community member and appreciate your support, I have contacted the moderators but they are taking a long time to respond.

I do not yet have a self-serve account as I can not receive the verification code by text to activate it as my phone can not connect to the cellular network.

Jarvar

Thank you @Poogzley

Please remember, I am just a community member. I am not a moderator. If you have gone ahead and contacted the Moderator with a direct message, that would be helpful in the event you need further assistance.

Your SIM Card was pre-activated from Walmart.

I am wondering if you need to register it online with Public Mobile.

Do you have a Self Serve Account Setup already? What does it say when you login there?

Thanks

Poogzley

@Jarvar wrote:

Welcome to Public Mobile @Poogzley

What kind of Plan did you sign up for your account?

Some other things you can check out.

What does General->About Show? Under Network and Carrier?

The more details, the better we can help you.

Is your cellular data turned on? Are you Connected to the Public Mobile Network? Is Cellular LTE enabled and Data Roaming on?

Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options or Cellular Network

It could be also be your APN network settings that need to be configured properly.

Check Cellular Data Network.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/ios

What kind of Plan did you sign up for your account?registered for the 20$ data only plan

General->About Show->Under Network and Carrier: Public Mobile // Telus

Is your cellular data turned on? Yes

Are you Connected to the Public Mobile Network? No, it says "No Service"

Is Cellular LTE enabled and Data Roaming on? Yes, They are both on

It could be also be your APN network settings that need to be configured properly.

Check Cellular Data Network. They have automatically been changed to the correct settings.

Please let me know if you need any more information. 

Jarvar

Welcome to Public Mobile @Poogzley

What kind of Plan did you sign up for your account?

Some other things you can check out.

Is your cellular data turned on? Are you Connected to the Public Mobile Network? Is Cellular LTE enabled and Data Roaming on?

Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options or Cellular Network

Check Cellular Data Network.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/ios

Murco

I know its not what you want to here but they will get to you. Have a great weekend.

Poogzley

@Murco wrote:

I would contact a moderator if you want to be sure.

I reached out to them on Sunday and then again this past Wednesday and have yet to hear back from them. Smiley Sad

Murco

I would contact a moderator if you want to be sure.

Poogzley

@krazykiwi wrote:

What makes you sure your phone isn't locked?

Have you tried the sim in another phone that you know is unlocked?

EDIT: If you activated instore have you tried activating online? If it is already activated this won't cause anymore troubles.

I purchased the phone unlocked directly from Apple and have previously used it with Rogers, Telus, AT&T and FreedomPop.

I don't want to try to reactive it online as I already loaded it with 20$ and don't want to risk losing my balance.

Need Help? Let's chat.