cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM, New Public Phone Number and Cannot Send/Receive Texts or Calls

hsalahub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

We bought this for our Son on our old Galaxy A8 and is not working.  I have reset and reseated and powered down at least 20 times.  The antenna seems to have a good signal and the phone does not recognize the SIM or carrier.  The compatibility checker is no longer there for devices.

Please help.

39 REPLIES 39

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub

We are happy to help. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Don't spend that $1.50 all in one place! Oh wait....I guess you do?!!🤔😄

hsalahub

Thank you all so much! Outstanding community, which is very necessary to balance out the performance of Telus… par for the course, but hey they gave me a $1.50 credit for the many hours of troubles due to them - too kind! Such a great community - thank you!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

A double whammy! Two glitches to start off with but I'm happy to hear it's finally getting sorted out for you. I like to think the worse your activation is the better your experience with pm will be....maybe use 1 point from your rewards account and enter the lucky draw to win an iPhone 13?

HI @hsalahub  this is a common glitch on Telus system, gave out number that was assigned already.   😞

hsalahub

@darlicious the Agent found that the phone number we were assigned was already given to another customer.  They gave us a new number and will provision it this morning. 🤞

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

Unless the agent said they were closing your ticket or 48 hours has passed without a response the ticket remains open.  But given the urgency and you now know the issue opening a new support ticket to see if it gets a quicker response can't hurt. Normally though an open ticket will be picked up by a new agent at shift change.

hsalahub

Thank you so much @darlicious ! Is there a chance my ticket was closed or this Agent went home and it doesn’t get transferred to another Customer Agent?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

Today I was averaging about 25 minutes between responses. Now nothing for 2 hours. But your issue is a top priority so it may even get addressed after the official closing time. Just check for a new message every half hour or so.

hsalahub

Thank you @darlicious that would be great!

hsalahub

There has been no Agent response.  I just tried the SIM card in my phone and it also doesn’t work there.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub

They are working for another 80 minutes so you should get a reply within that time frame.

hsalahub

Thank you, @darlicious I just replied with a provisioning confirmation request to the Private Message.  They don’t appear to be working now and didn’t respond to my request.

@hsalahub   did agent say they tried to reprovision the sim card? 

and any chance you tried your sim in another phone? that can prove to the agent that it is not related with the phone but a sim card problem

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

Yes of course...d'uh what was I thinking?!! This leads back to the Sim card not being provisioned correctly upon activation. Reply to your last message from customer support and ask them to provision the original Sim card to your account.

hsalahub

Thank you, yes the phone is unlocked, it worked with the random Koodo SIM card they had in the shop… instantly.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Who is hiring CSA's these days? Do they get any training at all? This is mobile phone 101. All mobile phones sold since December 2017 in Canada are supposed to be unlocked. Sure a phone acquired thru a provider in 2018 that was pre-2018 stock could still slip thru and come up as locked and the A8 was released on December 17th 2017 after the WCC regulations came into effect. Public Mobile needs to rethink its human resources management. Getting timely responses from customer support is important but not if the response customers recieve is detrimental to their services and wastes their time requiring multiple support tickets to be opened until they find a CSA that knows how to properly perform their job duties with the correct information and/or actions to resolve the customer's issue.

@hsalahub 

If you would like to confirm that the phone is unlocked you can contact Samsung Canada by online chat or telephone and recieve the unlocking codes  from them if indeed the phone is locked. (It wouldn't be the first time a previous provider has claimed a phone is unlocked when it isn't?!!)

Samsung Canada: 1 800 726 7864

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

Did customer support provision the Sim card to your account? If this hasn't been done swapping out the Sim card won't do anything but waste a perfectly good Sim card. Defective Sim cards are rare. Reply to the last message you recieved from customer support and confirm with them if they have provisioned the original Sim card from activation to your account. Once they do so reboot the phone with Sim card inside.

hsalahub

Thank you, Customer Service seemed to think the phone was locked, so we called the past provider and went to the store to confirm, it was never locked (purchased after the date). They felt it was a Public Mobile SIM card issue and sent us to the location where we bought it. We then tested a Koodo SIM card which worked on the phone. There is definitely an issue with the Public Mobile SIM card, so they gave me a new Sim card. Does anyone know what the next steps are to transfer from the old SIM to the new SIM?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hsalahub 

Surely by now you have contacted customer support. But as alluded to earlier the Sim card did not provision correctly upon activation. This is a fairly common issue and easily fixed by customer support. Welcome to Public Mobile!

@softech 

I believe when this occurs at activation none of the reprovisioning troubleshooting tricks will work as the Sim card has no original reference to be reprovisioned to....this will just waste the customer's time. When a network reset is suggested as the OP mentioned they did not want to lose and/or re-enter all of the wifi passwords especially when it's a fruitless endeavor. (Not that you made this suggestion just that it shouldn't be made without forethought.)

@hsalahub 

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@hsalahub @Then follow one of my links or the one @softech  provided 

@hsalahub   yes, agent work on Sunday , monitor the inbox for their reply

and you checked the My Account and showing account status Active?

hsalahub

Now the phone is calling it an unregistered SIM, definitely need to speak with Support.

hsalahub

Thank you, I did log a Support request. Do they work on Sundays?

@hsalahub   if it is a sim provisioning issue, a quick way is to try to put the PM sim card in another phone, that could force a sim re-provision and it could resolve the issue

But if that does not work, then, yes, PM support would need to help to reprovision the sim/account

And did you check if the phone is clean ?  check here for peace of mind:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@hsalahub @Then you need supports help follow one of the links here 

Getting help from agent

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get                       

Or get help right here in the community

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

hsalahub

Phone also has an alert “SIM not provisioned for voice”

hsalahub

Yes, I tried each of the network types and reset the phone.

@hsalahub @Maybe you should reach out to support 

Getting help from agent

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get                       

Or get help right here in the community

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

Need Help? Let's chat.